IGNORED

240z shell

zman525

I just bought a shell on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4555368387&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

While there was only a brief mention of rust, and a mention of a cracked fraimrail, there was a lot more damage than was listed the core support was damaged from above(probably when the drive train came out), and below(probably forced into the engine crane when the drivetrain fell). The pas. side TC rod mount was pulled loose-rust inside the rail made it weak. I expected there would be many undiscovered problems, and realy bought the car for what was described rather than avioding it for what was not.

Getting the car on the trailer was not terribly difficult-not that it was easy.

We used a HF winch I had set up for use with the trailer, a pair of ramps, and some sweat! Next time I will slide it up the ramps on a sheet of plywood to keep the frame rails straight-the edge of the trailer likes to crease them.

If you are going to buy one, ask very specific questions, and require specific pictures for verification. It is too easy for a general picture to miss an important problem.

Will

I have one I'll give away - 72 shell only. Pass qtr panel has had bad bondo work - cleaned off now. Rust issue on the deck lid area. small rust hole in floor pan drivers side (quarter sized). Framerail is crunched from underneath hence that rust hole in floorpan. No other rust. Desert car. I'm moving 7/7. I'd like to have it go to sombody who can use it otherwise it will probably get crushed.

BTW - I do have clear AZ title.

Fair enough. I didn't think of someone starting on a project car and then giving up before finishing. I suppose it's possible to find just about anything for sale for one reason or another. As far as cost goes I would think that a non-rolling shell would be more difficult to move/ship than something that at least has wheels and can be rolled onto a truck/trailer.

I cited the abandoned project specifically as I have seen several Z cars for sale for this very reason. I drug my feet on one just 100 miles from me last year and have kicked my self for doing so...I had seen the shell previously and it was perfect (except for the sunroof hole in the roof) and he only wanted $100 for it. :stupid:

Oh sure, tempt me to drive to arizona...If you have no takers, let me know...

Will

I have been thinking the same thing! But I already have two parts cars and no place for them so a third is out of the question.

If you do make the trip to get it let me know if you pass through the area.

I cited the abandoned project specifically as I have seen several Z cars for sale for this very reason. I drug my feet on one just 100 miles from me last year and have kicked my self for doing so...I had seen the shell previously and it was perfect (except for the sunroof hole in the roof) and he only wanted $100 for it. :stupid:

Point in case: http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=474&sort=1&cat=last1&page=1

However this one is grossly over priced in my opinion. Just look at the rust!!

Thanks for all these replies. The one i found in NJ is easy for me to get, but from what i can see its somewhat rusty... Plus the guy hasnt responded yet ( hope hes not blowing me off :sleepy: ). Well your offer for the free Z shell is very tempting Kurt... but i dont think i could make it to Arizona from Massachusetts (plz dont crush it tho! :ermm: )... its just not practical. Ill keep searching and if anyone comes across one please let me know

Ok... well this is starting to get frustrating as hell now! I need either a shell or a rolling chassis with a strong shell. Can ANYONE help me out here, ive got a z sitting in my driveway completely dismantled and waiting for this lucky shell/chassis to arrive. Ive spent hours on end looking for something and its not workin out. Any help is very appreciated.

From our Z club newsletter (Georgia Z club)

For sale: 1972 240Z race car shell. No drivetrain or suspension. Interior gutted but dash complete with gauges and some (rare) white trim pieces still there. Passenger frame rail needs repair, some rust in floorboards (but you will still probably want to cut tese out and put in thicker panels anyway), otherwise, all body panels and glass present and in good condition. $275/0b0. Charles Cote, 404-822-6250 or crcote@mindspring.com

From our Z club newsletter (Georgia Z club)

For sale: 1972 240Z race car shell. No drivetrain or suspension. Interior gutted but dash complete with gauges and some (rare) white trim pieces still there. Passenger frame rail needs repair, some rust in floorboards (but you will still probably want to cut tese out and put in thicker panels anyway), otherwise, all body panels and glass present and in good condition. $275/0b0. Charles Cote, 404-822-6250 or crcote@mindspring.com

That looks like it may be the car that Will just bought off of eBay mentioned a few posts up.