IGNORED

240z shell

zman525

Hi guys. Ive had my 72 240z for about a month now and ive really gotten into the car. The deeper i get in, the more work i have to do... its never ending! Since i started taking apart the front end i realized i need new rocker pannels, inner wheel wells, front frame rails, fire wall needs to be patched, battertray area is toast, floor pans are gone, floor supports are gone, and its even starting to get into the rear... the spare tire compartment is rotting. I honestly dont have the money to repair all these so i was wondering if anyone had a shellfor a 240z. Im located in massachusetts and i am willing to travel kind of far to pick one up. I read a previous thread and there is one in arizona but thats just to fasr =(. Im kinda stuck at this point and i KNOW i dont have the money to repair the body i have now... its just to far gone. Hopefully someone could help me out =)

I was lookin for something a little more stripped down, i figure it would be a little less price wise. Not a bad lookin z everything appears to be solid from what i could see. Its a 72 right? and whats left for interior parts... could you possibly get a couple more pics? thanks for the response =)

Most anything that is in "good" shape will be either in the SW or S. Since you are about as NE as you can get, I would plan on a road trip. Take a 2 week vacation to AZ and bring a trailer. You could get lots of parts for cheap. If you can't go get it yourself, you WILL be spending a lot of money on it. Someone had to bring it close to you and they had to pay for it.

yah i gotta do some plannin tho. Another thing is im not exactly sure if i want to devote that much time/money to this car. I dont mean to sound uninterested in Z's but id rather travel down to Arizona for some vette parts if u kno what i mean :) . Knowing me ill prolly end up goin down there cuz i would hate to see this car just half assly put together. In the mean time ill keep searchin for that shell and if any of u have one lieing around and ready to be sold im interested.

Can't help you with the body you shell you are looking for; but you might want to download the 240Z "factory restoration checklist" from the following

url:

http://www.jasonjarvis.com/main.html

and use it as a more structured approach to restoring your 240Z (with which ever body shell you decide to go with) Might help you keep a better perspective as to what exactly needs to be done to what parts...etc...etc

I'm currently in the process of making up one for the 75-78 280Z crowd. Will be worded slightly different tho because it would be geared more to being owner restored instead of shop restored like the early 240Z program. None the less tho, it would add some structure to the job at hand, namely restoring our Z's. √√ and double √

Have included an imaged I scanned from "How to restore your Datsun Z-car" by Wick Humble as an example. (I.E. - Just a visual reminder as to where problems are located on the body) (Just slightly larger) Currently working on most of the "Attachments" from the 240Z checklist but using 280Z information. If anyone's interested, I'll share with you what I've got done so far....

webdawg1

post-5649-14150795496359_thumb.jpg

thanks for the reference man. I just stripped her down to the shell and when im done sandblasting it i might be able to restore it, although its unlikely because the rot is in the oddest places. Im still a little baffled as to what to do but i appreciate the responses

Sounds like your Z was used in the "salt mines" - I have stripped down a few Z's & none have been that bad.

Don't be afraid to pay a few extra dollars for a good shell - it will save you in the long run.

yah... new england is a terrible place to buy classic cars from. Whats weird is that the fenders and doors are mint without a spec of rust on them, along with the hood. Now i know never to judge a book by its cover :( Btw i do want those pics (prefferably the front frame rails, fire wall, under the engine bay, and battery tray.) of the black z and was wonderin what u were lookin to sell it for =) Also mines a 8/72 and u said urs was a 10/71? so everything should match up.