IGNORED

Seat mechanism covers

GunnerRob

I've had good luck finding small metric screws at Ace Hardware. I'll go by there later and see if they have the right size. If not, a good place to find just about any fastener is http://www.mcmaster.com/ As long as you know the size it's very easy to navigate their web page to find exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks Mike.

Would you happen to know the screw style (straight thread, tapered, self tapping) & size (Metric length, diameter, threads per inch/cm)? I've used McMaster-Carr many times and I know having this info would help immensly. I want to get this right the first time and save the hassell and embaressment of sending the wrong part. I know from past experiences, as a customer, how disappointing that can be. Any help is appreciated.

Would you happen to know the screw style (straight thread, tapered, self tapping) & size (Metric length, diameter, threads per inch/cm)?

It looks to me to be : straight thread, pan head, 5mm long, 2mm diameter. McMaster-Carr shows only a 0.4mm pitch in that size but that seems too fine of a pitch. However, that's from attempting to measure it with a ruler. I'll take the screw by Ace and get an exact match and get the size information from that.

post-3294-14150795250988_thumb.jpg

ive been looking for replacement mechanism covers for 2 years! for sure put me down. i dont know if someone else already pointed this out but the covers dont match from 75 to 76. rob, as you know when you pull up the lever to adjust the seat, it comes in contact with the seat itself. when i had a 76, the lever was set lower so it was easier to adjust and didnt touch the vinyl.

FWI.

I found out that the first covers I'll be producing will fit all Z's from the '72 240z to the '76 280z. The '77 & '78 280z's are different. I don't know right now if I'll be supplying covers for these later year models.

ive been looking for replacement mechanism covers for 2 years! for sure put me down. i dont know if someone else already pointed this out but the covers dont match from 75 to 76. rob, as you know when you pull up the lever to adjust the seat, it comes in contact with the seat itself. when i had a 76, the lever was set lower so it was easier to adjust and didnt touch the vinyl.

Thanks for your request.

Talk about timing! I just got off the phone with my Z mechanic. I asked him if the '76z had the exact same seats as my '75 (my dad bought the '75 brand new from the dealer, so I know my seats are original). He confirmed they are the same. Could it be you have later model seats? Do you have side by side pics of the two? I'd be interested in finding out for sure about this.

Thanks again 280z

It looks to me to be : straight thread, pan head, 5mm long, 2mm diameter. McMaster-Carr shows only a 0.4mm pitch in that size but that seems too fine of a pitch. However, that's from attempting to measure it with a ruler. I'll take the screw by Ace and get an exact match and get the size information from that.

Thanks Mike.

I looked at your pic and I think your evaluation is right on target. I'll have to pull one of mine to see if it's the same. I appreciate all your help.

Update: I pulled one off my 280z and it's almost the same as you described in your post (5mm head dia., 5mm long, thread size m3 [3mm dia.], 8 threads total=0.6 threads per mm [5mm divided by 8 threads=0.6]).

Mike

I found this at McMaster. It's the closest I could find to what I measured. What do you think?

post-2803-14150795253682_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your request.

Talk about timing! I just got off the phone with my Z mechanic. I asked him if the '76z had the exact same seats as my '75 (my dad bought the '75 brand new from the dealer, so I know my seats are original). He confirmed they are the same. Could it be you have later model seats? Do you have side by side pics of the two? I'd be interested in finding out for sure about this.

Thanks again 280z

i dont have the 76 anymore but i remember wanting to trade the two cars' pairs of covers because the ones in my 75 were cracked. i just remember the covers being incompatible. the lever was pushed down a significant amount between the 75 and 76. is it difficult for you to recline your chair because its pushed up against the seat of the chair? the one on the 76 didnt even touch the seat

FWI.

I found out that the first covers I'll be producing will fit all Z's from the '72 240z to the '76 280z. The '77 & '78 280z's are different. I don't know right now if I'll be supplying covers for these later year models.

Have you determined a price?

Update: I pulled one off my 280z and it's almost the same as you described in your post (5mm head dia., 5mm long, thread size m3 [3mm dia.], 8 threads total=0.6 threads per mm [5mm divided by 8 threads=0.6]).

I would agree with your assessment. I went by Ace hardware and it's definitely an M3 but everything they had in M3 was 0.50mm pitch. I came home and realized that I've got a tap and die kit and sure enough the only 3mm diameter in the kit is a 0.60 pitch and it's a perfect match. I went ahead and tapped a hole into a piece of flat bar steel and it's exactly right for the screw.

Looking back at McMaster-Carr it appears that the only 0.60 pitch is in 3.5mm diameter.

I would agree with your assessment. I went by Ace hardware and it's definitely an M3 but everything they had in M3 was 0.50mm pitch. I came home and realized that I've got a tap and die kit and sure enough the only 3mm diameter in the kit is a 0.60 pitch and it's a perfect match. I went ahead and tapped a hole into a piece of flat bar steel and it's exactly right for the screw.

Looking back at McMaster-Carr it appears that the only 0.60 pitch is in 3.5mm diameter.

Man, I'm learning alot about metric fasteners here. I talked to a hardware salesman at Green Thumb. They have an extensive selection of metric screws and the closest he could find was what you found at Ace, M3, 4 or 6 mm long, 0.50 pitch. I think I'll pick up one of these to see how it fits, just for grins. LOL

I sure do want to include screws with these covers if for nothing else but convenience. I KNOW some people are going to need them.

I sure do want to include screws with these covers if for nothing else but convenience. I KNOW some people are going to need them.

When I bought my 240Z 20+ years ago I had no idea there were covers. Only since I joined this group did I find out about them and I got a pair of used covers from Charlie Osborne. It was only then did I see that they were attached by screws and that the screws themselves were still in place in my car. I'd have to guess that many of the covers simply broke off that way.

By the way, I wouldn't try the 0.50mm pitch. That will clearly strip the threads. The 3.5mm may work but it would be a really tight fit.