IGNORED

best economical swap

richyboycaldo

There's no such thing as an "ECONOMICAL" engine swap. They always cost more and they always take longer. Even if you are an old motor head like me who's been doing this for a long time. If MPG is what you're looking for buy a car. The upside of this is that when you get done with the econo car you might be able to sell it and recoupe most of your investment. Putting a four cylinder in an old beat up Z car is money down the drain.

Final thoughts.... Zed vs. Zee....Beemer vs. Bimmer....???...I do know a name like 95BMWM3 doesn't make you look good on here....anyone can get a Bimmer....we're talking rare old 240s here....

I would not do the diesel transplant. A buddy of mine back in late 80s had a choice between 2 used maximas...a 80k regular v 6 one, and a 82 Diesel with 20k original miles...this Diesel was a perfect absolutely perfect looking car...but it was such a dog being a diesel...and it was the old style of diesel...lots of black smoke, noisy as all hell....

If I wanted better fuel economy and a 4 cyl...I'd get a 240sx, I've thought of it myself...they are pretty good looking and remind me a lot more of the 240z than the 350z....anybody serious about the 240z doesn't use them as their only car...I would get a honda or a 4 cyl nissan....if 20-24mpg out of your 240z isn't good enough.

Over and out....

How in the hell are you getting 24 mpg out of your L6 Z?

Oh and as for the swap issue I'd recommend (that is if you insist on an economical nissan 4 cyclinder swap) that you look at the KA24s that everyone is throwing away for the SR20. If you buy the same crossmembers that allow the SR20 swap they should fit the KA24DE swap with the KAs being extremely cheap initial investments. And then later when you want a little more umphh, being out of college and you your own moneyman, you can tack on a turbo and have a Z that'll smoke SR20 Zs all day. I'm sure it's more complicated than all that to a degree, but those KAs are very very cheap.

And I can't wait until I have another car as a daily driver so that I can really pull apart and rebuild my Z. Until then I'm a semi serious daily driver Z man.

• 1 month later...

Hello.. what are you guys talking about..?? Obviously you are all stuck in your ways. :finger:

A KA24DE, produces more HP stock (135.6hp @ 5300rpm, 150.6ft/lbs @ 4100rpm) than a stock L24 (107.9hp @ 5300rpm, 115.9ft/lbs @ 4000rpm). With no real change in shift points either. NOTE: All numbers are at the wheels. To get an estimate of crank HP numbers add 25%. Ratings from: http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsundyno.htm :geek:

So instead of losing anything with this 4 clyinder swap you would be adding about 20% more HP AND torque. :stupid:

Add to that it's a cheap motor and would lighten the car a bit in the front improving handling. Tons of 510 guys have done the swap from thier old motors. So plenty of info out there on the swap. Just because its a 4 cylinder doesn't make it weaker than a 6, especially when you compare a 70s technology motor with carbs verse a 90s one with port injection, dual cams and 16 valves per cylinder.

Anyway, you would want the one from a 240SX S13 or S14, or a Pathfinder. They also came in Altima, and some other cars, but the FWD motors are setup differently and dont work well. Although you could get the block and head from an Altima and the other parts from a 240SX. In case say you found a cheap 240SX with a blow motor. :smoke:

Recommending he buy a generic grocery getter is lame.. with the lightness of the 240Z and the aerodynamics of it, I would think 30 MPG is easily doable with a KA24DE. With more power to boot... and whats so wrong with wanting a unique car thats fun to drive, but maybe a bit better on gas mileage ??? Not to mention easier to find parts for at a Pick-a-part (he is a college student afterall).

Jeez... lighten up guys... and BTW the Honda comment was totally uncalled for. :P

• 2 months later...

im 21, i have a 240sx which i had since i was 18, been building it up. I got a sr20 waiting for it.. im also a college student but im still in school (slow progress)... im thinking of picking up a 240z and swapping my sr20 into it. My college and work are not fare away, less then 3miles id say. Id probably end up de-tuning my 240sx just so i could get more parts for the 240z, but I dont think it would be too bad.

• 2 weeks later...