IGNORED

best economical swap

richyboycaldo

IMHO, I would hate to see a 4 cyl Z swap. As an alternative, why not look at a Miata? Used Miatas can be had for cheap, thier engine is bulletproof, parts are also relatively cheap, it gets 30mpg even with spirited driving, and handles like a go-kart. Granted, you'll never blow anyone's doors off at the line, but that would be rare in a Z as well (unless you go the V8 swap).

Personally, if I had to do a swap on a Z and wanted economy as well as a little flair, I'd put in an Nissan LD28... that's right, a diesel. It's been done before (http://www.veggiecar.com), the LD28 motor is a basic bolt in swap althought no swap is without a little creative engineering. The only problem is that LD28 motors are becoming rarer and rarer (81-83 Nissan Maxima). Too bad really, or I'd be seriously temped to do it myself. Biodiesel, a very real and logical alternative to gasoline. Do a little reading, I think we will be hearing quite a lot more about it in the future, especially if gas prices top the $3.00/gallon mark. (or at least we SHOULD!) A few biodiesel and SVO/WVO links:

http://www.greasecar.com/

http://www.veggiecar.com/

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html

http://www.veggieavenger.com/

Wow that biodiesel looks really really cool, I tried to find some engien to see the prices, foudn some for about 650, but damn there are hard to find, Ill probably look for a local autowreck, 30 mpg is really nice, plus diesel engines last really long. but gonna try to find it thanx

Yea, Blake yoru wrigh the sr20ed is gonna be expensive since the one sin the us are Fwd. thx man

First and foremost, I'll state right here that I am by no means an engineer, nor do I have engine swapping experience. But, I do have some thoughts on this swap:

1. Although the LD28 motor is virtually the same block as the L28 (280Z block) and will bolt right up to your existing transmission, there are minor concerns in this area. The LD28 motor uses an entirely different HP/Torque range and this will effect overall performance. Someone could chime in here, but I would expect that you would be wanting to have the LOWEST rear end gearing you can have. Diesels have gobs of torque but all of it tends to be at the lower end of the RPM range. the 81-83 Diesel Maximas did come with a manual tranny but I suspect they are rare (very) and I cannot speak to them being the same as in the Z series.

2. your 240 was/is set up for carbs, while the LD28 is F.I. mcuh like the 280Z's. Swapping in a LD28 will require some plumbing work in the fuel delivery system (return fuel line, adaquate fuel pump, etc. I would recommend looking very closely at the entire 280Z fuel system, it may be easier just to swap that in too.

3. Obviously, the EFI control box and wiring will need to come with the motor. If your searching for a boneyard motor, you'll want as much of the wiring harness (associated with the motor) as possible.

4. Vibration - this is the big "if". Consider that a diesel runs significantly "rougher" than a gasoline motor. ie MUCH more vibration. You may find that you will need to strengthen the frame rail structure. My guess is the LD28 is also a bit heavier, which will effect handling to a degree.

This swap is not for the faint of heart, but I honestly believe it is the most interesting one out there. Unfortunately, the owner/builder of the "original VeggieCar" sold it (on EBay) and no longer is involved with the website or answering technical questions. A damned shame as I honestly think that if more info were available on the swap, more people might be interested in trying it.

As an alternative, if possible you might want to consider parking the 240 (in a nice dry garage!) and start into biodiesel by trying to find an LD28 powered Maxima in running condition. Run it for a while till you are more comfortable with the diesel then if you decide you still want to do the swap, you'll have a complete donor car. I missed out on a very nice one myself by just a few days, otherwise I would have bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go buy a 89-early 90s Nissan Sentra, and dump your Z...i mean, i don't know of many 6 cyclinder sporty cars that get 20mpg like my Z....

an old 240z isn't really the car to have if its your only car, imo...

I know someone who has an older sentra, and its a Nissan, and gets good gas mileage. But its ugly lookin'...maybe a 240sx? or 200sx? those don't get any better gas mileage than my L24 6 cyl though.

kinda off topic, but speaking of gas mileage, was reading about 'prius hackers' who have found that non north america Toyota prius' have a button on the dash where they can disable the gas motor for small 2 miles trips (no faster than 35 mph) to the store...for a max of like 10 miles...

...well these 'prius hackers' are installing that button, installing extra lithium ion batteries, and an electric plug...and they are plugging in at night and using the rigs as electric only that will still do highway speeds for something like 100mph range...

kinda interesting...ugly car though..imo

Dude, get one of your family members to put you in for an episode of "Overhaulin" or "Pimp my Ride". I'm hoping they'll do a Z one of these days. You get a hot new restored Z on someone else's dime, what could be better?

Thx, guys, the thing is that if a buy a civic, Then what do I do with the 240z? I dont want to sell it or something

keep it and restore/modify it! how do you think most of the guys/gals on here did it? i tell ya from experience: you can't get much done on a car if you have to drive it every day.

Might I suggest a '68 to '70 Datsun 1600 or 2000 roadster. I got 40 mpg once averaging 85 mph coming back from Shasta one year with the top down. Of course that was mostly down hill. The roadsters are tough, and once sorted out are quite reliable. With a beefy steel frame, they also don't seem to be as subject to rust problems as the Z's.

• 1 month later...

I also am interested in a 4 cyl. Swap but not for the same reasons. It seems to be true that not many if anyone at all wanted to reduce the HP of the Z's and hence the lack of info on the swap.

Going fast is more driver than motor on a track and how fast can you go driving to work/school or anywhere in traffic if a daily driver is what you are interested in?

So speed is not my interest but classic looks and a simple, reliable but efficient L16 or L20B seems just right. To me its just has to have a L series in it when the hood comes up : ) I have had a few very fast Datsun 4 bangers, some with mild L16's and even one with a Rebello NapZ 2.4 with a L top end and both had plenty of scoot.

A L20B can be built to make as much HP as a stock L24 and still be very street reliable all the while using less gas/parts and being lighter : )

I don’t know....but it sounds like a good idea to me but I halve always been a bit strange