IGNORED

Scarab Research

Mike

California didn't like the fact that Brian was ripping the smog control Z engines out and putting 65-70's vette engines back in the cars. He had to sell Scarab #1 (his personal car) to defend himself in the first go-around in court. He won that battle by claiming the cars where for "off road use only". California continued to keep an eye on Scarab Performance and I'm sure buyers had to sign a waiver stating that the cars are not street legal.

Brians solution and hope to keep his business alive was to build a 425 hp turbo version of the Scarab or "Super Scarab" as it was known to many back then. I've read the stats on that car and it was a true Street Beast. But a price tag of $35,000 was likely a bit much for people back in the early 80's.

This pricing and the constant eye in the sky from the pollution police was most likely the demise of his company. Until the gag order is lifted and the true story is told, we'll never really know what happened to one of the most elusive hybrid automobiles ever made.

Vicky

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep this thead alive, I'll be taking delivery of a 1971 Scarab from the second owner this weekend. Car is in excellent condition with all documentation. I will share photos & specs this weekend.

Color is white with aftermarket Panasports, Autometer guages, Recaro seats.

David

Hi David

Welcome to the club. I'll be quite interested in your Scarab. My husband and I purchased #189 about 3 months ago. We're in touch with a few other genuine Scarab owners and will be happy to link you up with them. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and documentation.

What is the number of your Scarab? The build plate will be mounted on the drivers side, above the door latch, just under or in place of the factory Datsun plate. It will be stamped "Scarab Automobiles", the manufacture date and vehicle #.

Vicky

That price is quite steep! If anyone here gets it and is willing to share a scan of it in pdf format please let me know as I would be glad to host it on my site along with all the other Scarab info I have.

Actually the genuine Scarabs are quite balanced at 52/48 which is near neutral. The engine swap results in a weight gain of just 30lbs. Pretty insignificant. Since chevy engines are shorter than the inline 6, the CG moves further back than with a six. As a result, instead of acting heavier, the Scarab has, if anything, even better handling and lighter feel than a Z.

Remember a real Scarab is not just a V-8 swap. There's a completely engineered car here.

I can go on all day about this but it truly belongs on the hybridz site. I've got tons of literature and track tests to back it up and I have the car in the garage to prove it.

Also, these cars were built in the 70's and were way ahead of their time.

Vicky