IGNORED

gotta sell my 69 fairlady

NovaSS

I didn't know that a 5-speed was availible in a US export 260z model? I thought that it was not until the 75' 280z that there were 5-speeds. Maybe a late 260z had a 5-speed?

NOVA, I wish you the best of luck with selling your car. It is a very special car indeed.

Regards,

Ben

Hi NovaSS,

I'm not sure where you got that figure of 300 or so Fairladies for 1969?

Nissan Shatai's records show that they had manufactured 969 'Domestic' market S30-series cars ( and 543 'Export' market S30-series cars - which will be 'HS30' and 'HLS30' models ) up to the end of December 1969.

Nissan Shatai's figures for 'Domestic' market cars do not differentiate between Fairlady Z S30-S / S30 models ( Z and Z-L ) and Fairlady PS30 / PS30-SB ( Z432 / 432R ) models.

However, official records for 'Domestic' chassis numbers ( 'Shatai Bango' in Japanese ) manufactured within the 1968 and 1976 period do exist, and these differentiate between S30 and PS30 variants. These chassis numbers are broken down by year in the records.

The chassis numbers quoted for 1969 year manufacture are:

*S30 ( Fairlady Z & Fairlady Z-L ) = Chassis Numbers S30-00001~00953

*PS30 ( Fairlady Z432 & Fairlady Z432-R ) = Chassis Numbers PS30-00001~00072

As you can see, Nissan Shatai's figures for the quantities of 'Domestic' bodies manufactured in 1969 ( total 969 ) do not add up with the official records of Chassis Numbers manufactured in 1969 ( 953 'S30' prefixed plus 72 'PS30' prefixed = 1025 cars total ).

However, looking at the monthly breakdown of Nissan Shatai's figures, I think its safe to say that your car ( S30-00144 ) would indeed have been manufactured in November 1969. That's a nice low VIN number and I would say its a pretty rare survivor of 1969 production Fairladies. It is definitely worthy of being saved.

Just one point: you mentioned that it was "numbers matching", and I know what you mean ( original engine in original chassis ) but the Japanese VIN tags never quoted the actual engine number. They just quoted the engine type related to its taxation class, as can be seen on the VIN tag picture that you posted.

Whatever you do ( keep or sell ) I wish you all the best with it. If it wasn't so far away from me I would have been knocking on your door by now :love:

Good luck,

Alan T.

OOPs it was a typo I ment about 900.

I’m not positive but I think 77 was the first year for five speed transmisions in north America. They only made something like 500 of them in 77. They made a big deal about it on my car, it has a big 5 speed emblem on the back of it.

I thought the 77 280Z was the first year offered (here in the US) with the 5 speed. Vicky

Vicky:

You could very well be correct. I thought that I remembered a neighbor having a 5 speed in a 260Z (back in 74), but I could certainly be wrong.(It's been 30 years and my memory hasn't gotten better over time) I've looked through some books and don't see any mention of 5 speeds in the US models until 280Z production. Kinda strange that it took so long to get 5 speeds here since Road and Track and other mags pointed out the lack of it very early on.