IGNORED

March Poll of the Month

hls30.com

What upgrades have you made (or do you plan to make) to your Z?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What upgrades have you made (or do you plan to make) to your Z?

• Wheels/ Tires
    • Shocks/ Springs / Bushings
    • Ground effects/ Airdam/ Spoiler/ Skirts/ Flairs
    • Audio System, Insulation
    • Electrical, Alternator, Wiring
    • Color
    • Drivetrain, Engine, Induction, Exhaust, Diffy, Ignition, Tranny
    • Seats
    • Climate Control, Blower, Evap/ Condensor/ heater box
    • Window Tint
    • Brakes
    • Wipers
    • Instruments, Tach, Speedo
    • Radiator, electric fan
    • None, she was and is perfect!

Yes, but the substructure is not set up to handle the math involved in that series of options...The proof of what I just said is in the percentages!

Just like our cars, just because that is the way it is, does not mean that is the way I want it.

Now, tell us about your car...

Will

On your Z, what system(s) have you upgraded or plan to upgrade(not simply repaired, but made different than a "Factory"-I just can't get away from that F word!-or dealer installed situation)?

Will

Good Poll. I can see how that other poll regarding Factory or Dealer installed parts or superseded parts was so important.

My car has had many repairs that were done with original Datsun parts, but in some instances were considered upgrades to what was done with the car originally.

The seats on a 71 do not offer a true reclining mechanism. They are the original tilt the backrest style of reclining (i.e. turn a knob and adjust the angle of the backrest, but not adjust the position of the backrest with relation to the seat). You could not tilt the seat back forward either (to get to the hatch area).

The 72 cars had a true reclining mechanism, and you could tilt the back forward. Many original owners effected this change when possible. (I'm not including the Stock Concours Purists) Those were changes that people did to "correct" items they felt were inadvertently "forgotten", "overlooked" or "unfinished" in the original car.

Courtesy Lights in the foot area or on the door to illuminate when open are another "upgrade" that uses the stock wiring. All you have to do is add the lights. The door switches will light them and so will the Dome light switch, so this was a "change" without being a modification, but in the pure essence of this poll was made "different".

The Heater Control Panel Faceplate is notoriously dark on all the 240's except for the 73 model. That one offered back-light bulbs to illuminate the levers and knob. That also is a change, but again many owners took advantage of it.

Custom wheels were such a "standard" part of the dealer package that there are many individuals that are "shocked" to discover how plain the original "D" Hubcaps were, or the subsequent "Z" ones. How many times have you seen ads for the OEM Mag Wheels on a Z? The famous 5 spoke oval hole aluminum wheels with a cap or a spinner were so prevalent that most people just assume the car arrived with them and not that they were one of those "automatic" upgrades by the dealer. In other posts and other sites we've heard of guys that worked at the dealer and were literally chucking brand new hubcaps in the junk because the new owner didn't want them (when he actually did NOT know the car came with different wheels). A friend of mine was told that Datsun expected the car to be sold with the Mag's but had them installed in the US to save $, and that's why dealers did that automatically. Truth or Sales Hype?

I wanted to vote, but unfortunately, I'd have to pick each option including the last one.

Enrique

Does that mean the percentages don't mean $hit? LOL (to me it does)

Man, you guys are sure quick to jump on the critical end of things.... Has anyone bothered to take a calculator and add up the percentages? If you do, you will see that they all equal 100%.

The numbers represent a percentage of the total votes. Taking all of the percentages and adding them together will give us a total of 100%.

Now, how these numbers equate to the percentages is a bit confusing. When this poll was set up, it was decided to allow users to vote more than one time. Therefore, when a single person votes, they can pick multiple selections. At this time 68 people have voted. It doesn't tell me how many choices they made.... It simply tells me that 68 votes have been cast.

-- Mike

Enrique,

The only thing stopping you from voting that way, is you! I had similar thoughts, and that is why I didn't vote immediately.

I am glad the method to my madness is becoming clear.

I am using the same train of thought about upgrading with later model Datsun parts, still an upgrade, and not a repair, but more difficult to discern.

Mike,

I am not critical at all, I understand what the statistics are showing, I didn't when I posted the poll, but now that I do, the next one will fit the formulas! The only part that I wish for was the interconnection of the categories-how many people who upgraded their wheels also added ground effects-and the like.

I appreciate the opportunity to have a poll with growing pains!

Will

PS. at the end of the poll I will provide the statical analysis available with what has been collected so we can see what is tells us(other than the posted percentages).

Hmm, to answer Will's questions as to my modifications thus far and my planned upgrades...Really, it's a work in progress. However, the intention of my car is to end up as powerful, fun street car.

Mods so far:

-Halogen headlights

-Front and rear air dam

-Custom front turn signals

-5 speed manual tansmission (was already on the car when purchased)

Mods in progress:

-Overhaul of electrical system

-GM 1-wire alternator conversion

-MSD 6AL ignition and MSD Blaster Coil

-Stripping interior for paint and repairs

Future mods:

-Coilovers

-Urethane bushings

-Sway bars

-Tubular front and rear a-arms

-Rear disc conversion

-Front disc upgrade

-Wheels and tires (not sure which, maybe BBS and Yokohamas?)

-R200 LSD with Quaife differential

-Short shifter

-LED tail/turn/brake lights, third brakelight

-Electric fan

-Autometer gauges

-Replumb everything with SS braided hose and Aeroquip hose fittings

-Bore and stroke? (MSA kit possibly)

-Upgrade entire valvetrain and camshaft

-Cylinder head port and polish

-Blueprint and balance engine

-Fuel injection conversion (Megasquirt)

-Fuel cell?

-Custom intake

-Turbo conversion (twin turbo?) with the whole gamut of b.o.v., intercooler, electronic boost controller, etc etc

-Custom exhaust

-Redo interior with new insulation, carpet, leather, and other pieces

-Fiberglass dash

-Tint windows a bit

-Overhaul A/C and heat

-New radio with decent speakers and possibly a small sub

-Paint black

-Wide body?

-Carbon fiber hood?

I think that covers most of it. I'm sure I've left some stuff off my list, but this will keep me busy for a very long time. Needless to say, I've got my work cut out for me.

Jason

.... You just get to vote once, for any one or all of the things that pertain to you. That's why you get all the boxes to click on.

Not just one item per person. Will, Where did you get the idea that I think you're only allowed to vote once for only one item?

>emphasis mine

To answer this question:

From your first post that says:

I can't vote twice, so how do you think people can get more than 1 vote? It even says near the top,"Voters: 53. You have already voted on this poll."

Since no one had posed the subject of multiple votes at that time, nor had anyone posted that they could or couldn't vote more than once. It is very possible that while you were aware of being able to vote more than once, others did NOT know so, nor think so, therefore that's why you got those responses. Then again, maybe you didn't know about multiple votes and had just tried it and it didn't work, or you hadn't yet tried it and was just presuming that you would not be allowed to.

Confused? Yeah, so are the rest of us when you start asking rapid-fire questions that seem to pick up on a thread that no one but YOU is thinking of and then getting upset when the answers don't fit your train of thought.

So let's get back to the thread.

Enrique

The percentages on the right apply to the number of votes for THAT option to the TOTAL number of options SELECTED.

In this voting scenario the percentage doesn't weigh any one option with relation to another, it's simply saying that that option was SELECTED X TIMES out of ALL boxes selected.

Since voters could select from ONE to FIFTEEN boxes for their 1 VOTE, each vote WEIGHS differently in the percentage on the right.

At the time I pulled the numbers, 72 people had voted, of which 37 had selected Wheels/ Tires and only 3 said NONE, Perfect. The %'s were from the TOTAL number of boxes checked, which was 342. 37 divided by 342 yields 0.10818 which matches the 10.82% listed, so does the 3 at 0.88%.

The problem is that the poll does not sum up the number of Total Checked Boxes.

Enrique