IGNORED

European Bumpers?

adamkosecki

No Mike, all of the first-gen European market models did have the rubber bumper trim.

The smooth non-rubbered bumpers were first seen on the no frills base-level 'Fairlady Z' ( S30-S ) and lightweight 'Fairlady Z432-R' ( PS30-SB ) models at launch in October 1969.

Thanks for the correction. Are there other bumper differences to be aware of between markets - perhaps related to the inclusion of the vertical bumper guards? Were the aftermarket bumper "overriders" unique to the U.S.?

Are there other bumper differences to be aware of between markets - perhaps related to the inclusion of the vertical bumper guards? Were the aftermarket bumper "overriders" unique to the U.S.?

I see the vertical bumper guards ( we call them "Over riders" over here ) quoted as "Option" parts in all the Nissan parts lists and brochures that I have. They cover the Japanese market, Europe ( inc. UK ) and Australia.

However, in practice I think the non-USA / Canada Export market cars were not 100% consistent in their specs with regard to details such as these. Some dealers seemed to be aware of the dealer 'Option' parts, and some did not. You can imagine that this - combined with other factors - probably led to customers not knowing what they could have had.....

I've never seen the USA-style aftermarket 'towel rail' bumper additions in any other market.

I've never seen the USA-style aftermarket 'towel rail' bumper additions in any other market.

That's a very appropriate name. I've got both sitting in my garage and was planning on throwing them out but now I've got a new idea ...

The smooth non-rubbered bumpers were first seen on the no frills base-level 'Fairlady Z' ( S30-S ) and lightweight 'Fairlady Z432-R' ( PS30-SB ) models at launch in October 1969. .....

Alan,

The Neko Publishing "Fairlady - I" shows the S30 as well as the S30-S without rubbers. I didn't think the 432-R had bumpers! But isn't this a 432-R?

So...should we refer to the solid chrome bumpers as 432-R bumpers? LOL

post-4148-14150794858045_thumb.jpg

The Neko Publishing "Fairlady - I" shows the S30 as well as the S30-S without rubbers.

Ah, you mean S30-00769 for the S30 pics?

I think that's a case of owner preference, and the car isn't as it would have left the Factory.

As far as non-rubbered bumpers go, Nissan's intended spec for the models released in October 1969 was that only the S30-S and PS30-SB had them. What the owners subsequently fitted was their own business........

I didn't think the 432-R had bumpers! But isn't this a 432-R?

So...should we refer to the solid chrome bumpers as 432-R bumpers? LOL

Sure it had bumpers. It was an official production model intended for limited sale to the General Public specifically to aid homologation of race cars and race parts. It had to have bumpers. They took them off of the race cars...

You can call them 432-R bumpers if you want, but its probably more truthful to call them S30-S bumpers. At least it would be good accompaniment to the "432" mesh grilles which are exactly the same as the mesh grilles on other models...... :ermm:

• 4 weeks later...

Ed,

Yeah, I have the front air damn with the integrated fiberglass bumper. It was on the car when I bought it. Something I'm doing, after a low-speed rear-ender broke my air dam, is bolting some steel tubing behind the fiberglass bumper portion. Oh yeah, I fixed the broken fiberglass part too.

Jason

hello all,

first off, i wanna say this a great site! i just discovered it! i am in the process of restoring my 75' 280z and i want to convert the front bumper to a 240z bumper. my only problem is i cant find any!!! i was bidding on one on ebay, but lost. it was the only bumper ive seen on there in a while. anywho, someone listed a place you can find them new for 399$? is it possible to give me a link, or a phone#? it would be a great help!

also, are there any folks here from WA? i want to race when i am done, and i need help to get set up in the SCCA or whatever local racing is done. thanks!!! :D