IGNORED

15" Rewinds

Go240Zags

The brand of tire makes a difference too. Some manufactures 225 are as wide as 9.4" and others are 8.8". Thre is a guy running Bridgestone so3 225/50's; they are 9.3' wide and he has no clearance problems. My 205 are 8.6" wide which is wider than 215mm. It would nice if the size stated on the sidewall was acurate.

This is quite true. I was amazed at the differences when I was shopping on the www.TireRack.com website.

Do you have any idea what the largest size tires are that will work with the -9 offset 14" X 7" Rewinds?

I would stay with a 205. That way the tire will be to the inner edge of the fender not to the outer edge like mine. I do not like the look of the tires at certain angles on my car. They are not far enough out to need flares but they do look like they stick out too far. With -9 offset and the right 205 tire (Yokohama ES100's) the whole thing should be in the right proportions. I have decided to get a set of the 15" silver Rewinds one day when I have the money. I fight the urge to go with flares and 16x8.5 -19 offset with 245/45/16's. I love the look but I just do not have the money for that. I also do not think I need the extra grip either, my crappy (Cooper Cobras) 205's with a limited slip grip very well so 225's in a sticky tire should be more than edequate.

If you take the size of the tire and divide by 2 (205/2 = 102.5); then take the amount of offset and add that to the number (105.5+9 = 111.5); then divide by 25.4 (111.5/25.4 = 4.38) you get the amout the tire will go past the mounting surface of the hub. if you subtract the offset you will get the amout the tire will be inboard (3.68"). So if you have a + offset wheel you would have to subtract the offset for the outer side of the tire and add for the inner amount of tire protrusion. So if you are tring to figure out how far inboard/outboard you can go this method works well. The width of the wheel does not factor in because the tire is centered on the wheel, but the width will affect the backspace of the wheel itself; the wider the wheel is the more backspace there will be if the offset stays the same. I think Konig assumed people would run narrower tires on the 14's than the 15's so they gave the wheel more - offset to keep the outer edge of the tire in the same spot. IMO they should have stayed with 0 offset for either size.

If you take the size of the tire and divide by 2 (205/2 = 102.5); then take the amount of offset and add that to the number (105.5+9 = 111.5); then divide by 25.4 (111.5/25.4 = 4.38) you get the amout the tire will go past the mounting surface of the hub. if you subtract the offset you will get the amout the tire will be inboard (3.68"). So if you have a + offset wheel you would have to subtract the offset for the outer side of the tire and add for the inner amount of tire protrusion.

Thanks for the info that you posted. I have one question about the figures:

I don't mean to be picky at all but, shouldn't this be 205/2 + 102.5, then take the amount of offset and add that to the number ((102.5 +9 = 111.5) I think that "105.5" was a typo? Also, what does the 25.4 figure represent? mm per inch? This is all new to me.

I currently have 205/70 X 14 tires on my car and the very outer edge of the tire rubs the lip of the fender when the suspension compresses fully. So I guess I'd need to find 205/65 or 205/60 series tires, right?

Yea the 105.5 should have been 102.5 it was a typo. Yes the 25.4 is the amount of mm per inch. If I ran anything larger than a 60 I would rub on the fender for sure so I thank a 60 series would be what you need. If the offset of your wheel is more than -12 you will still rub with the 60's. If you have a a 0 offset you should be able to run the 70's without rubbing. -12 was a very popular offset for the 14 inch wheels back in the day, if your wheels are "vintage" and you are rubbing they are probably -12's. I think the tires back in the early 70's that came on z's were the equivilent of a 175/78/14. They were listed as 175 SR or HR -14 in my `71 owners manual and I am pretty sure they were 24.7" tall. Tires that skinny would not rub with a -12 offset wheel.

Yea the 105.5 should have been 102.5 it was a typo. Yes the 25.4 is the amount of mm per inch. If I ran anything larger than a 60 I would rub on the fender for sure so I thank a 60 series would be what you need. If the offset of your wheel is more than -12 you will still rub with the 60's. If you have a a 0 offset you should be able to run the 70's without rubbing. -12 was a very popular offset for the 14 inch wheels back in the day, if your wheels are "vintage" and you are rubbing they are probably -12's. I think the tires back in the early 70's that came on z's were the equivilent of a 175/78/14. They were listed as 175 SR or HR -14 in my `71 owners manual and I am pretty sure they were 24.7" tall. Tires that skinny would not rub with a -12 offset wheel.

OK, thanks.

The Rewinds I just bought last fall are 7" X 14" -9 offset. The wheels (with 70 series tires that just barely rub) currently on the car are old Appliance brand 5 Slot 14", I don't know the width or offset, but they are original dealer option wheels.

Just ordered my 15x7 Rewinds in Graphite yesterday! They should be in on Friday or Monday... but then again, the way the weather's been, the car isn't coming out for at least a few more weeks.

Ended up getting a slightly smaller tire 205/55VR15 - this allowed me to get a higher performance tire, the Kumho 712, instead of the Kumho 711 or Falken 512 I was considering in the 225/50R15 size. That also gives me a larger margin for errof in terms of clearances when I lower the car later this spring.

Now I'm all excited.... :D :classic:

Hey Proxlamus, I will try to take some pics when I get the wheels on the car, but that may not be for a few weeks yet. We got about 12-18 inches of snow here in the past week, winter just doesn't seem to want to give up!!

Datto, there are almost NO tires (if any) in the 225/55R15 size. The common size that people use with 15x7s seems to be 225/50R15, in which there is quite a lot of tire choice... but the prices seem to start at about CAD150 and up for the decent tires. The two cheaper ones are the Kumho 711 and the Falken 512, both at around CAD100. Most of the well-known performance tires in that size are about CAD175-200 each. I was able to get the Kumho 712 (still a compromise, but from what I understand quite a bit higher-performance than the 711 and the 512) in the 205/55R14 size, which is essentially the same diameter as the 225/50, just narrower at CAD110.

cheers,

Ayan