IGNORED

Restoration 1970 240 Z

WDILL

I need to find someone in the southeast to restore my 1970 240Z. It was the first car I bought when I entered the Air Force in 1970. The VIN is HLS3003435. Does this mean it was number 3435 to be made? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Wally Dill

• 1 month later...

Guest John 240z

Your car is #3435 in the 1970 model production, probably produced in May of 1970 as was mine. Depending on what the car needs for "restoration", I would say it should be done as only 9,977 Series I Z's were registered as 1970s. Check out www.zhome.com for info on experts in your area. Good Luck!

• 1 year later...

The VIN Serial numbers were consecutive through the run of the model. That is his vehicle is #3435 of ALL the 240's and not just of the 1970 production year.

Additionally Wally, the first letter in the VIN should be an H and not an A. The H is used to denote an L24 engine. The L identifies Left Hand Drive, the S30 identifies the Body Model type or Car Model and the last numeric digits the serial number within that Car Model.

• 2 months later...

I live in the Atlanta,Ga area and have a garage and body shop. I have done restorations for 10+ years. I have 70 that I'm working on as well as a 71,72 and around 20 other Z cars and parts. If I can be of any help please let me know. Craig

Just a quick note to point out that this particular car is number 3435 of "HLS30" series "240Z" cars ( and in particular, no. 3435 of the USA / North American version of the "HLS30" ).

Please do not get confused about this; the HLS30 was numbered quite seperately from the HS30 ( so there was a car with the VIN / Chassis no. "HS30 - 03435" made too, as well as "S30 - 03435" - although I do not imply that those individual VIN / chassis numbers were built BEFORE "HLS30 - 03435" ) and this means that this car was NOT the 3435th "240Z" made, as the nomenclature "240Z" was given to several different market models..............

Additionally, ALL types of S30 should be taken into account when discussing numbers built - and that means counting the PS30 and S30 models for the Japanese "Home" market that were made from late '69 too.

Nissan / Datsun made the situation unclear from the start by numbering different variants of the base S30 model with their own series of chassis / VIN numbers. Therefore it is NOT accurate to state that for example no. 3435 was the 3435th "240Z" built, let alone the 3435th S30-series Z car to be built.................

Such an early car is ABSOLUTELY worth restoring and I fully support that of course. However, I do think that it is worth taking a world-wide view on this and not just simplistically assuming that the USA / North American "HLS30" series cars were the first to be built, and formed any kind of "definitive" version of the S30-series Z car.

Good luck,

Alan T.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

I was not aware of this at all. I was under the impression that the additional code prefixes were just that prefixes and not completely new series.

Alan, just for my own curiosity, could you post where you got that from so I can peruse or order a copy? I'm kind of building a library on the Z and this is one of those items that is definitely going to need "Right Here, read this!" proof. I'm not doubting you, but I'm sure there will be some folks that will doubt ME.

By the way Wally, I also did a few years in the AF. I was NCO, whereas you may be CO. If so, did you run into a Col. Howe? He also bought a 70 Z when it first came out in 70 while he was studying in the Academy. Then he kept it throughout his tour. I helped him restore it back in 88 or so, and would love to contact him to find out how the car fared thereafter. I lost contact with him back in '90.

Enrique Scanlon (SSgt.)

379 BMW / OMS

Supply Liaison

Hi Enrique,

You are most certainly not alone in thinking that the VIN / Chassis numbers on the S30-series Z went up numerically with all prefixes included. In fact, each prefix had its own set of numbers.

I'm afraid that Nissan / Datsun brought this confusion about themselves by not making it clear from the very beginning. In fact, looking from the outside in, it seems to me that they kind of made some of it up as they went along. There can be no doubt that the huge success in the North American / USA market of the "HLS30" series car was something of a pleasant surprise to the factory, and they were struggling to keep up with demand at first. Naturally they would have hoped for great sales and known that the potential was there, but it seems that the reality was still rather better than they expected.

Its difficult, as you may know, to point at a set of figures ( either in a book or any other medium ) and say "There - that is the Definitive Story..............", so I cannot point you to any Holy Bible of Nissan / Datsun lore that gives the whole truth and nothing but the truth without any mistakes or omissions. Most of the data that I have is from Japan, and it is common knowledge there that the S30, PS30, HS30 and HLS30 all had their own numerical series of VIN / Chassis numbers.

As I pointed out in my previous post, sometime in early 1970 there would have been the amusing situation of four Z cars existing on planet Earth that were like four peas in a pod; S30-00240, PS30-00240, HS30-OO240 and HLS30-00240. Although they were all very early S30-series Z cars, they were quite different variants of that series, and had chassis prefixes that denoted this fact. However, the numerical part of their VIN / Chassis numbers could easily have crossed over...... hence four cars numbered "240"..............

Adding to the confusion was the fact that different specs. of some of these variants were also available. So, S30-00240 could have been either a Fairlady ZL ( S30 ) or Fairlady Z ( S30S ) - but you would not be able to tell from its VIN or Chassis number. PS30-00240 could have been either an ordinary Fairlady Z432 ( PS30 ) or a Fairlady 432-R ( PS30-SB ) - but you would not be able to tell from its VIN or Chassis number.

"HLS30" left-hand drive "240Z" cars could be either the "European" market version, or the USA / North American market version - again not possible to discern the difference through the VIN or Chassis number; they got a sequential set of numbers that covered both versions ( and any other left-hand drive market variant, like South Africa or France for example ).

Most fun of all are the "HS30" prefixed cars. The very first of these were allocated to the Australian and New Zealand markets, with a fair few going to the Works race car programme from Japan ( and those being quite different to the other bodies in many respects ). The UK market got just a couple of cars in their first year, with strong supply coming on line from mid 1971. The Japanese "Home" market also got the chance to buy the L24 engined "Fairlady 240Z" in several variants from October 1971, and these were also prefixed "HS30", while the S30 and PS30 continued to be sold alongside.

So, my Japanese "Home" market Fairlady 240ZG is prefixed "HS30" just the same as an Australian-market "240Z" car or a UK-market "240Z" car, and their VIN / Chassis numbers run upwards all mixed together.

Confused? If not - why not?!

For further reading, I recommend the following:

*"DATSUN Z - Fairlady to 280Z" by Brian Long - VELOCE.

( ISBN 1-901295-02-8 )

*"FAIRLADY STORY - Datsun SP / SR & Z" by Yutaka Katayama and Yoshihiko Matsuo - MIKI PRESS.

( ISBN 4-89522-244-6 )

*"FAIRLADY 1" and "FAIRLADY 2" - both published by NEKO, Japan.

I also recommend Japanese magazines such as CAR GRAPHIC, MOTOR, AUTO TECHNIC of the 1969 to 1973 period as good references for data on this and many other subjects pertaining to the S30-series Z.

If anyone does not believe you when you tell them, then I do not know what to suggest. Except perhaps to ask them to prove what THEY say is right.................. Maybe you could tell them about my Fairlady Z project car; it has VIN / Chassis number "S30-03761". Find "HLS30-03761" and "HS30-03761" and we have cracked it. "PS30-03761" will not have existed, as the "PS30" VIN / Chassis numbers never got over 600..............

Most of the English-language books on the history / design etc of the S30-series Z contain mistakes and factual errors ( but Brian Long's book is better than most in this respect ), not least of these being the perpetuation of the shocking lie about who really designed the S30-series Z.

Now that would make a good thread....

Best regards,

Alan T.

Not really in the SouthEast, although some folks around here would argue that, but Banzai http://www.zzxdatsun.com/ in Upper Marlboro, MD; just East of D.C. has a pretty good rep.

Anybody have experience with Banzai? I, too have a 240z that needs some wirk done (new floor pans, some body seals, some engine hoses and a carb tune-up), and was wondering if Banzai is the plave to go in the Maryland area.

I'm new to the fourm here, BTW - so hi everybody. my 240 is the 3rd Z I've owned, and it has been waiting for years for me to finish it and get it out on the road - my goal is to have it going before the end of the summer!

T.

• 2 months later...

I too was in the Airforce during that time with a 240 still have it. It was bought in Oct of 70 in Seattle Wa. Serial # HLS30-6160 built in 6/70 per the placard in the engine compartment.

I have 180,000 mile on mine and still have not taken the head off. Rare yes, it is getting very tired. I also am in the process of restoring mine. has not been on the street in ten years.

Jim Coffey

Actually, I became a Z-natic (thanks for the term) in mid 72 or 73, when we were playing a game of something in the street. One of the guys that hung out with us, his dad being outrageously rich, had just bought him one in the US, and imported it into Mexico.

I resolved that day that one day I would own one. It just took me 30 years to do so.

While I was in the Air Force, my Squadron Commander had one that he had bought from the dealer after it had been used as a demo car. He'd had it ever since he had been at the Academy in Colorado. When I saw it, I offered to do the paint job and body work for material and a paint gun, and that is the first one I restored.

Enrique