IGNORED

Clear Hatch Glass

26th-Z

Okay guys... taken off of page 196 chapter 11- Technical Bulletins, Hi-Lights & Recalls - in "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-car" by Wick Humble...

"Defroster-Wire Alignment Changed; Dated 4-11-1972

Beginning with number HLS30-062001, the rear-window-defroster wires run horizontally rather than vertically. There is no provision for the defroster circuit defroster wiring harness in 240Zs previous to HLS30-01456.

Datsun recommended their accessory relay, part number 25230-E4100, be used with the stock switch, part number 25350-E8200. A 20-amp inline fuse holder and 10- and 18-gauge are required. The previous hatch-glass part number is 90301-E4101; the new glass number is 90301-E8800. "

Does that help any.

The '72 that I'm waiting to have shipped to me has the Vertical lines.

Nate

I believe that this is the same notice that 26th-Z posted scans of a few posts back. Humble just went through these same notices and picked out the ones he thought were useful.

Yes it is pretty much the same - check the part numbers between the two.

I am just now stumbling on to information like this. There are great libraries out there and as I get hooked into the banter between the librarians, I learn and find a great deal of information. Frankly, a generation of classic Z people have passed and we are still talking about the same stuff that made up tech articles in the 70s and 80s. There is a vast wealth of information out there. Mostly, held by the guys who have been around the longest.

Still chasing the idea that Datsun issued a defroster "decal" to dealer fit the early cars with. Still rumor.

We also have to be a little careful with non-Nissan sources (and Nissan sources too, I suppose). Some months back, we had a discussion about automatic transmissions and VIN sequences/build dates. The Humble book had an interesting Service notice listed, but after cross referencing it against the actual notice, it was found that the Humble book had a typo that made the VINs off by 10000, or something like that. So it's good to consult multiple sources when available.

Thanks, I have been watching it

I don't need a piece of glass, but it would be nice to have a spare. However, the deal is that the glass is not rare. I know it is NLA, but for how many cars? How many show car projects out there need a piece of clear glass? I don't think there is much of a market. It is going to cost $130 to ship, so that's a consideration. The auction started at $100, then it jacked to $400, and now it is $300. I'm out - still too much for me. I am also in the midst of a parts trade for a piece of used clear glass and I'm afraid if my friend sees the eBay glass go for golden nuggets, our deal will fall through. The defroster option is much nicer and those pieces of glass go for around $150 or less. Seriously, there are pieces of clear glass out there. You just have to go looking. Don't let this eBay GAFFF continue! RARE IS A MISUNDERSTOOD WORD!

I DID check Princess 27 for the wiring yesterday and she does NOT have wiring in her harness for the defroster. Her Majesty's harness is in a box...somewhere....

I found a vertical defroster hatch glass at the wreckers for $50 (I had to remove myself). My own fault for the price, it probably would have been cheaper if I hadn't said he had some nice parts on the 1971. I came back for it after waiting a few months and he was telling me how "rare" it was. I would have taken the whole hatch, but it was not the one with vents. Nice to have a spare. Gary