IGNORED

Carbon parts (post suggestions)

mull

Hi Mull

Here's my 2 cents. Add on pieces are fine. When you get into making hoods and doors and other important parts you must consider strength. I have alot of experience in Making fiberglass and carbon parts for Aircraft. I don't think a hood that weighs 1.5kg is going to be strong, what about the fenders and doors? A Carbon Fiber part is strong enough when built properly and weak if its built badly.

Please don't sacrifice safety just to save a few extra pounds! Thats just my 2 cents

Sorry Mull to read between the lines (correcty it seams). I added the "I believe" so as not to attribute a quote to you (which you finaly supplied yourself).

Working with CF is no longer a mystical art, so when you said your guy had "A little over 10 years or so I think" of experience and that "The process is somewhat of a secret" and he was "familar with adding Kevlar" I also assumed that he was familar with weave oriantation.

Those traits are common among current aviation and motorsports fabricators.

What skills you bring to the game are as yet unclear. Marketing? Public relations? Creative thought? Technical knowledge? Practical skill? Engineering? Money?

I anxiously await to see the fruits of your talents.

Adios Amigo!

Working with carbon fiber is in fact almost like an art.

lying down the cloth for an attractive apperance, smooth and level, and without bubbles, and having a very clear and shiney clear coat isn't easy to do.

And making HOODS to nearly perfect fit, after making a mold, and then vacuuming it tight, and baking it in the oven, isn't very easy

Are you guys still on the "What parts would like to see made from CF?" thread.

Or has it morphed to THE TWILIGHT ZONE of CF parts and applications?

Just courious.

I was hoping "What parts would like to see made from CF?" ...

However, people like "Panchovisa", seem to speak what they're full of.

There are the occasional bad eggs on all forums , so I think noting of it.

Carbon fiber and epoxy are essentially translucent, remove the markers, don't cut the cooresponding holes in the cf panels, and mount light housiung on the inside of the fenders, such that the light flows through, catching on every strand of cf. A backlit indicator, (no protrusions from the body)

The lights would only be visible when on-no bulges in the bodywork!

Will

Sounds interesting... If you're interested in a one-off of this, send me a PM

and I'll get you a price quote the next time I see my sponsor! I don't know

much about carbon, but I can't imagine that anything more than one layer

of CF would be translucent. I'll check what weave best fits your idea.

Sorry Mull to read between the lines (correcty it seams). I added the "I believe" so as not to attribute a quote to you (which you finaly supplied yourself).

Working with CF is no longer a mystical art, so when you said your guy had "A little over 10 years or so I think" of experience and that "The process is somewhat of a secret" and he was "familar with adding Kevlar" I also assumed that he was familar with weave oriantation.

Those traits are common among current aviation and motorsports fabricators.

What skills you bring to the game are as yet unclear. Marketing? Public relations? Creative thought? Technical knowledge? Practical skill? Engineering? Money?

I anxiously await to see the fruits of your talents.

Adios Amigo!

Please stick to that adios. As far we've seen the fruits of your talent - and it

sure doesn't smell good. Rid yourself of your assuming and send me a PM if

you have any questions. Free your mind of all those conspiracy theories!

As for your sarcastic "question" - I'm bringing my carbon sponsor. What are

you bringing besides a bad attitude and attempts to ridicule me?

And yes - fyi - he is into the motorsports fabrication gig. The "secret" isn't

so much a secret, but a method to get a similar weight/toughness to pre-preg

CF - without actually using PP CF.

id buy ZG flares, taillight panel, dash, console, doorpanels

ZG flares are a no-can-do, as I don't have these for molding. Sorry :ermm:

The taillight panel is set to be made from CF, as is the console. Not yet sure

if I'm going to have the dash made from CF or not.

The molds made will support 3-4 finished CF parts.

Hi Mull

Here's my 2 cents. Add on pieces are fine. When you get into making hoods and doors and other important parts you must consider strength. I have alot of experience in Making fiberglass and carbon parts for Aircraft. I don't think a hood that weighs 1.5kg is going to be strong, what about the fenders and doors? A Carbon Fiber part is strong enough when built properly and weak if its built badly.

Please don't sacrifice safety just to save a few extra pounds! Thats just my 2 cents

I'm not interested in making add-on pieces. These are REPLACEMENT PARTS.

You replace a 20 kg metal hood with a 1-2 kg CF hood. I never said the parts

were going to be made for street cars. Not sure what the US DMV say about

CF-parts. If a car is as old as my '71 Z, you're allowed to do just about anything

to it. That is, if you live in Sweden.

But then again - each to his own regarding safety if your aim is destruction derby.

The parts will be built properly. I'll see to that. I won't have my fenders go

flying off on their own when doing 160 mph...

I am interested in this idea, but before I commit to buy something I would play with the process myself to see if it would turn out as I envision. Between that and shipping, the parts would probably not be cost effective to ship from Sweeden-though I do know a automotive enthusiast family that owns a business and travels to and from several times a year. I have vacum formed carbon fiber myself-not an expert by any means, but I have used the stuf, and obtained good structural ridigity, and better cosmetic appearance.

I think the vent panels at the base of the windshield (both interior and exterior) would be great candidates.

Will

The parts will be built properly. I'll see to that. I won't have my fenders go

flying off on their own when doing 160 mph...

With you saying that you have no experience in constructing carbon fiber parts how are you too see to it that quality parts are to be built? :stupid:

With you saying that you have no experience in constructing carbon fiber parts how are you too see to it that quality parts are to be built? :stupid:

Meaning I'll tell my the guy making the CF what kind of use they'll be put to.

He's been making CF parts for his own drag car, and a couple of other cars

including this M3 (CF hood and roof) - running 9.32 @ 160+

BMW_M3_LITEN.JPG

inre_panel.JPG

1.jpg

(rivets are air brushed)

The point of this being: He knows what he's doing. It won't come off.

I was trying to calm "Alg" down, since he seemed nervous about people

getting hurt (as they wouldn't either way crashing?).

I dunno, maybe I should just shut the f*ck up and keep it all one-off so

you can keep your Z's all-steel and fiberglass? I don't think it's worth all

the effort when almost everyone seems to question my motives, the

quality of the parts and everything I ask for. :ermm:

mull- if you a dash are you keeping the vents and the heater unlike the other CF dashes out there?

Dave

Yeah, I think so - the summer nights can get pretty cold up here!

I'll be replacing the heater with one from Summit though.

I would pay for:

Dash (only if i can retain my heater and then obviously the vents)

rear tail light panel

How about some CF bolt-on fender flares? I am going to get some soon and why not sweet CF instead of fiberglass? And how about a front lip spoiler? Mull- what's your take?

I would love a hood, but if the cost of the dash and taillight panel I wouldn't be able to afford it- and I must have a dash considering mine has 3 HUGE cracks in it. My hood, for now, is fine so it isn't priority.