IGNORED

Pillar Emblem

Zrush

In looking at jmarks fantastic shots of his newly painted Z, I'm reminded of a comment that was made in reference to the 240Z. The area were the pillar emblem is located, there should be a hole to allow for air flow within the cabin of the car. Is this hole very small or is it suppose to be quite visable.

Scott's Z has a red LED light that glows from behind both pillar emblems. I don't recall seeing a hole on the 280Z.

Vicky

Hey Vicky, The first Z's that had the "240Z" pillar emblem probably had no hole as those cars vented out the hatch vents. Then the cars with the round Z emblem have holes about the size of a golf ball. All later 240/260/280Z's will have the vent hole behind the round emblem.

Hey Vicky, The first Z's that had the "240Z" pillar emblem probably had no hole as those cars vented out the hatch vents. Then the cars with the round Z emblem have holes about the size of a golf ball. All later 240/260/280Z's will have the vent hole behind the round emblem.

Hi Chris

Yes both cars have a golf ball size hole but it doesn't appear to allow air in the cabin, unless there tiny holes further back within the golf ball sized hole.

I always thought this was just a visual, rather than a functional item on our cars.

Vicky

It can pretty much be said that all cars with the round pillar emblems have vent holes as ya'll are discussing. The exception applies to 432s and prototype models. The hole is for venting purposes and was originally back painted black.

This has been discussed many times before, and is one of the differences between series 1 and series 2 240z's. Series 1 dont have a hole behind the emblem (they had the 240z emblem the vents were in the hatch). Series 2 had the round emblem and a vent hole behind it. (moved possibly due to exhaust fumes getting in through the hatch vents).

Behind the hole is a pressed metal plate which is open at the top a few inches above the hole, so the rain and weather doesn't get it.

P.S. my 240z has one of each. A hole on one side and no hole on the other where the entire panel was replaced with a series 1 panel after an accident

Hi Chris

Yes both cars have a golf ball size hole but it doesn't appear to allow air in the cabin, unless there tiny holes further back within the golf ball sized hole.

I always thought this was just a visual, rather than a functional item on our cars.

Vicky

There's a formed sheet metal piece in there that blocks the view from outside the car as to where the air enters from inside the car. Jeez that sounded confusing.

Chris

Mr Camo beat me to it.!!

Also if you look the emblem is sided so that it will vent while in motion. They are imprented on the back side R L and the slits are positiond to the rear. I think mostly that they were vents to allow the interior pressure to escape when the doors closed , if the windows and other fresh air vents were shut. I dont think that they really will clear much of the cabin air.