IGNORED

L.E.D Solutions for dash and other LIGHTS?

Zs-ondabrain

Here is an update.

I am still not happy with the light dispersion on any of the LED upgrades using off the shelf LEDS. After lengthy conversations with the manufacturer of the LEDS I use is working on an answer to the dispersion problem. The leds may come in a slightly different shape than standard pieces to accomplish the dispersion patern-still round, but not dome shaped. The paterns needed are different between the instruments and the exterior lights, and I am getting help on one of the two types at a time. The manufacturer is not developing an answer specifically for us, but rather a couple of different LED packages to address dispersion problems specific to the automotive industry.

So this project is stalled (for me at least), until we see how committed they are to working out a new mold for a high despersion patern led.

Will

About that 1,000,00 hours...

I would like to know how the manufacturer figured that number in the first place. was it on continuously, or 50% of the time or what? It might change things considerably.

But I will agree will Carl this once, that the things will last so long that the cars will be memories when l.e.d.s will need replacing. Assuming nothing extraordinary happens.

And good luck to Will on his search to find the ultimate do-it-all l.e.d. substitute for small incandescent bulbs.

It's also important to understand that LED quality varies considerably and is usually, but not always, influenced by price. I have tested a bunch of different brands supplied by onshore and offshore suppliers. Some claims are valid, some died horribly in very short order.

Try to purchase from someone that will stand behind their product. High failure rates is the easiest way to implode your business plan.

I don't have a calculator handy but if I remember correctly, even if the L.E.D. is rated at 100,000 hours the total for being on 24/7, 365 days a year is still over 10 years and who the hell leaves their lights on for that long, LOL

At 12 hours a day it's over 20+ years at 3 hours a day, it's over 80 years.

Ponder if you dare,

Dave.

P.S.

Don't forget that the manufacturer does'nt calculate in the automotive variences like (vibration, moisture, voltage and current spikes, handling (grease and dirt from your hands) and stuff like that. The 100,000 hour life is under perfect testing conditions, like in a vaccum or a lab.

More pondering for ya.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Curious if there were any updates?

Can't remember all that was mentioned on 9 other pages but here's what we got so far.

I still do the LED taillight conversion for $250

LED sidemarkers on my car were the 1"x2.5" 12 LED markers found at the local KENWORTH (Big Rig) service center. about $8 per corner

Dash lights are Ba9's and I personally used the "White Wide Angle Ba9's from www.superbriteleds.com

I'm still working on (just haven't had time to complete the project) front LED marker/TS lights.

I also now make the SCP Sidemarker Conversion Plugs for the 240Z's. It converts the sidemarkers to Turn Signal/Sidemarkers. PM me for more info

MSA and Superbriteleds both sell an LED Dome light conversion kit for about $20 +/-

That's all I got off the type of my head.

Dave.

• 10 months later...

I guess I should update this thread every so often to keep everybody up to date on parts, prices and availability. So here ya go...........

All of my upgrades are still available and better than before.

All four electrical upgrades are now "Plug-N-Play"

The HLH or Head Light Upgrade harness is still $125 and only for the 240Z with white square connectors in front of the radiator.

The PLH or Parking Light Upgrade Harness is now $50 and is "Plug-N-Play" for ALL 240Z's (with the 6-pin combo switch connector)

ALL 260Z's and the early 280Z's with the square 9-pin connector on the combo switch.

The ZXP is still $15 and for the 240Z ONLY. The ZXP allows you to Upgrade your 40 amp alternator to an internally regulated 60 amp 280ZX alternator.

The SCP's are still $25 and for the 240Z's ONLY. The SCP turns your front sidemarkers into blinkers when the turn signals are used. The 240Z front turn signals are too low to be usefull but the SCP allows others, on the side of you to see your turn signals blink. A great safety feature. you get 2, one for each side (L+R)

The CTS Service is now $60. The CTS is a Combo and turn signal switch service where I completely rebuild your switches as a pair. I do my best to bring them back to OEM specs, regrease everything, repaint when needed and replace worn parts to make your switches look their best and Operate like they are supposed to.

I still offer the .....

LED side markers lights for $80

LED Front marker light conversion for $125

LED Taillight conversion for $250 for 240Z's and $300 for 260/280Z's

All the prices above include return shipping so the price you see is the price you pay. I also offer multiple item discounts, just ask me.

Dave

wolfin32z@yahoo.com for shipping and payment info.

• 8 months later...

If an L.E.D. has a guaranteed lifespan of 1 Million Hours...which as previously calculated works out to 114 years of CONTINUOUS use, does that mean that L.E.D.s have been around since the late 1800's? You'd have to have one of them on for 114 years before you could feasibly claim that you ACTUALLY got 1 million hours of use out of it.

Just food for though...

:beer:

I also need to find 300 dollars for an taillight conversion.

I bought the L.E.D. dome light kit from MSA, Very nice, lights up the whole interior very nicely in a bluish light. I installed it last year and have not really driven my car much in that time because Im working on it.

About a month ago, I opened the door and the dome was like a strobe light. One of the rows was completely out, the center row was blinking and the last row stayed on the way it should. So much for 114 years :)

I ordered some stuff from MSA a couple weeks ago and begrudgingly bought another light kit. The guy that took my order said he was unaware of any problems with the kit and of course, I had to pay full price (less my club discount) for another one. I just put it on today and it works great.

But...my 8 yr old son got in and turned on the headlights and nothing but running lights came on. After he tapped the brakes a few times they popped on. He turned them on and off about a dozen times with no issues. Then about a minute later he tried turning them back on and, no headlights again! Could these be related, the dome light install vs. the headlights? Or, I installed a grounding kit from MSA last night, could this be causing it? It runs from the negative battery terminal to the ground on the alternator, from there to the engine hoist bolt, then onto the mounting bolt for the distributor and finally to the mounting bracket of the ignition coil. Any thoughts?

Edited by MEZZZ

LED's are 100,000 hour life span. not 1 million. and 100,000 hours is about 11.415 years of being on constantly at the recommended voltage. And when you consider that you only have your parking lights on for maybe a fw hours a day and use your brake lights for way less than that, the LED's will likely oulast the car and Probably even you.

So consider the safety factor of brighter, cleaner lights, never having to replace them, and the 3/4 less amperage draw on your system, the LED conversion is well worth the price. It takes me 2 full days to do the conversion on each set.

I polish the lenses after removing them from the assembly, which is a job in itself.

I make each plate by hand, including drilling every hole with a drill press.

I hand load every LED, bend the leads, solder every one of them and wire them up.

Each rear assembly is cleaned of exhaust stains, paint overspray, and look clean again.

The LED plates are loaded and secured before reassembling everything, testing them again, bubble wrapping the hell out of them and shipping them back, using part of the money from the price.

I don't believe in charging more on top of the price you already thought it was. Shipping is in the price of the conversion.

MEZZZ,

That sound more like a loose wire than anything else. Using a grounding kit is a great idea and all, but is the wires under the dash are bad or loose, then it kida defeats the purpose. Check the passenger side kick panel and also the combo switch connections. Your car is old and connections, nuts, bolts, clamps and everything else will eventually loosen up and make connections due to power strains and vibrations.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will check it out today. I never had any problems with any lighting before yesterday. I went out last night after writing this and tried them a couple dozen times and they came on every time.

I havent had any electrical problems at all with my car, I just figured the grounding kit wouldnt hurt and it looked cool too :) I got it in red to match my MSD coil and Taylor spark plug wires. That red is addicting, I may end up looking like your car when finished :)

I will be doing the LED lights from you as well, once I get to that point in my journey. Ive seen some pics and think they look great and a vast improvement over stock.