IGNORED

L.E.D Solutions for dash and other LIGHTS?

Zs-ondabrain

With any luck, We can all get together on this forum and figure out the weak dash light-hot fuse problems we all seem to be dealing with.

I wrote in my "headlight relay upgrade harness's for sale" forum, that I upgraded all my EXTERNAL lights to L.E.D.'s. These lights use almost 1/10 of the power of conventional light bulbs. Have a running life of about 100,000 hours which rounds out to about 10 years of constantly being on, which could also equate to about the lifetime of the owner with general usage.

So.. if your lights are on for (2) hours a day, every single day of the year, they would still last for over 169 years. Which is good arguement for the price of the L.E.D. conversion. These lights can usually be purchased at your local auto parts store.

I know that off the top of my head, (2) 1157 L.E.D. replacemnt bulbs for your tail lights or front parking lights run about ($20.00). A combonation of (10) 1157 and 1156 bulbs are needed for the rear tail lights (and reverse lights) and front parking/turn signal lights. which is 5 sets = $100 at the parts store. If any one knows where to get these lights for less than $20 for 2, PLEASE clue the rest of us in.

I have work to do at the moment, but will return later on tonight to continue on this topic.

Dave.

i've seen these l.e.d. "bulbs," but not in the auto parts store ( Murrays- was there yesterday for bulbs). I've only seen them on Internet sites. even the local rice-shop doesn't have them, or even know of them. I hope I just picked the wrong store to go to. I think I will call some other custom auto-electronics shops.

I don't mind using conventional filament bulbs on my 280Z, since I have no fusebox 'problems,' except for the dim headlights. But I would like to brighten the lighting on the gauges. I've seen the l.e.d. bulbs for those.

thx

This guy is great. He made custom Z running lights for the 77.

www.lambertenterprises.com

Vicky

Do you have any close up photos of those Vicky?

Disregard this post. I went to your gallery and found the one of the drivers side front. Looks good.

I'm actually building LED's to fit the stock side marker lite housings. I'm casting new lenses without all the reflex lines on the inside of the stock lens. With the LED boards I've already made and the new lenses it should be nice.

Chris

We had some discussion on a similar thread a while back. I am going to work on led replacements for all of the interior lights. I bought 500 of the ultra bright white leds and appropriate resistors for 12v. The only difficulty I am having is that the leds are pre-focussed, meaning they cast a narrow beam of light-in the guages that means the light is not uniform across the guage. i have sanded the led and that helps, but I have not found something that works well enough at difusing the light that I am satisfied. For the Map light, the leds work great! but for the rest of the lights, they are too directional to suit me.

Will

Don't forget that if you have L.E.D.'s in the taillight area, you'll need an electronic frasher unit, because of the lack of a true load. They run about $30.00. L.E.D.'s use very little current to work, so they need a different style flasher rather than the thermal one that came w/ your car.

one for the blinkers and one for the 4-way flasher.

I have sanded to several differet points:

1) just taken the shine off the led-a little wider beam that isn't cast as far.

2) removed about half of the dome-wider around the edges, but not as much light.

3) removed the dome entirely, good defusing, but too much light kept in the led(very noticeably dimmer).

I think the dome should be reshaped, but not flattened-perhaps shortened and deglossed. I'm at the trial and error stage...

Will

I have sanded to several differet points:

1) just taken the shine off the led-a little wider beam that isn't cast as far.

2) removed about half of the dome-wider around the edges, but not as much light.

3) removed the dome entirely, good defusing, but too much light kept in the led(very noticeably dimmer).

I think the dome should be reshaped, but not flattened-perhaps shortened and deglossed. I'm at the trial and error stage...

Will

From superbrightleds.com:

Single LED Wedge Base Bulbs

These 12 Volt Super Bright LED bulbs will replace T3-1/4 (#194/168) filament bulbs found in many automobile and water craft applications. Inverted cone clear lens causes the light to emit from the sides as well as the end. Built in current limiting resistor and diode to protect the LED from reversed polarity installation. If you plug them in and they don't light, turn them around and they will light.

Applications Include: dome lights, instrument cluster, interior lighting, license plate, side markers, warning indicator, head lamp housing illumination, ashtray, stereo accent, courtesy lights, gaming lamps, etc...

w_r_S.jpg

Maybe if you take to the end of a conventional LED with a drill, giving you and inverted cone....that might just work.