IGNORED

Title Problems

jeff1216

Cars manufactured before 1982 do not have what the U.S. DOT considers a true VIN, they have manufacturer's serial numbers. I have read that there is no reliable national database that can be used to trace stolen, or wrecked beyond repair, vehicles of this age.

I did not spend a dime on my restoration project until I recieved a title for it in my name from the state BMV. The title that I recieved with mine was a 1984 duplicate title issued to replace a lost 1981 title. But it was at least an Indiana title so I didn't need to have the VIN plate inspected by a state offical.

I have bought a lot of older cars, and very frequently I have discovered later that the person who "Sold" me the car was actually curb-stoning it. (That is they bought it but never titled it, or paid the sales/registration taxes on it...) That is a frequent enough occurance to explain Bill's mystery of the car from 95.

I wouldn't even consider moving VIN plates from one Z car to another, because that serial number is on the car in 4 places. Not to mention that it is a felony in most states... Eventually it would catch up with you.

What has to be done here (in Indiana) on a title mixup is to find the legal owner of the car (According to the state BMV) and try to beg them to sign the title over to you. There is a standard form available from the BMV that is a power of attorney certificate valid only for the transfer of a title. Once that form is signed and certified by a notary public, the license branch can request a duplicate title which is mailed to you, after which you take it, and your POA form back to the license branch and transfer the title into your name.

In Indiana, the hard part is getting the owner of record to cooperate. There is no way to force them, and if they refuse you are simply out of luck.

I know this because a car that I gave away to charity came back to me via the Indianapolis Police department.... along with an inquiry about whether or not it had been stolen. What a mess.

I actually drove to a DMV in 50 miles from here in the middle of the country.

I just spoke faster than she could comprehend...........The title is a clear SC title.....the year is correct.....the Vin is correct.......But the dumb arse put 1970 280Z.

Model really does not matter and I did not want to rock the boat.....I will have that corrected at a later date.

Atleast I have a clear SC title for the car.......I paid $40.00 to have the title printed on the spot as soon as it hit my hand I was outta there ..... If I would have given her time to think about it she may have realised that she was not allowed to do a vin correction on an out of state title. Oh well....It is done now and the title is locked up in the safe. :)