IGNORED

Title Problems

jeff1216

OK........I bought a great condition 1970 240 that is gutted.

I am transplanting the motor,trans,dash,wiring harness from a 1972 240.

The vin# is one digit off on the 1970's title. The state that the car came from does not require a title on a car that old.....The state I am in does.

I could not get it titled in S.C. because the Vin on the car was one digit off on the title. (it was a typo).

S.C. told me that G.A. needs to correct the title......I called GA and they refuse to correct the title because they do not require a title on that old of a car.

So I am kinda screwed......I am going to try the DMV once more tommorrow. If I cant get it straight my only choice is to ....

remove the 2 vin plates from the 72 ( I am switching the dash out anyway) and place them on the 1970....I really dont know what else to do........The only thing I am using of the 70 is the shell....everything else will be out of the 1972.

Has anyone ever done something like this with vin plates on these old cars???

Am I gonna go to the Big House?

WHY CANT I CATCH A BREAK??????????????

Hehe any Z enthusiest will know right off that it's a '70 because of the rear hatch vents and the non-vented pillar emblems. ALso there's a VIN engraved in the engine bay (on the DS firewall) that'll be hard to change. Maybe you could move to another state? Don't know what to tell you - it's risky for sure to screw with the plates...

I'm having a bit of difficulty obtaining a title to a GA car with no title as well. VA DMV is giving me the old run-around....

If I were you, I'd do one of two things.

Put a mechanics lien/storage lien against the car, then, if it isn't claimed in a certain time limit (which it shouldn't be), your state will have to issue you a new title, and you can then correct the typo.

Or, you might be able to claim the car as an abandoned vehicle.

I'm in Ga, two hours from you, if you can't get Classic(phone # Zrush left) to help at a reasonable price, we could always do a paper dance-you "convey" the title to me, I get the title corrected and reissued,and sell the title back to you for the cost of getting the state to fix the mistake they made in the first place! At least you have options, GA flat refuses to allow me to get a title for my '72-not even any hoops they can tell me to jump through.

Will

Bill, it could be your car was sold to the PO with "a do not resuscitate title-parts only", and he does not want you to find out. I would probably do a little more investigation even to the point of calling the DMV, so that you don't get a nasty kick in the gut when you go to get a tag.

Will

my Z was also purchased without title. Not required to register or insure in the state of GA. I have tried every avenue in the state to get it titled, but no avail. To give you peace of mind, you could get a VIN search done by a "peace officer" for a small fee. At least that will ensure against someone later getting jealous of your masterpiece and saying "You know, I owned a Z EXACTLY like that, but it was stolen..."

I am moving to NC in 8 months, and can also register an old car in that state without title. I will probably pursue a bonded title like mentioned above since there are no age limits.

Enjoy your car. No title necessary = no Big House

X

I ran it through the DMV. It didnt come back stole...But the po told me he had it for two monthes before i got it....the dmv says nothing been done with it since 95...something dont jive.

I still have the trade car that i traded him sitiing in my yard with the title. He wont come and pick it up... Im starting to wonder is somebody looking for him...I could get the title if i could get his last name. I evan tried getting it off his mail box. Didnt evan have one.

This is starting to get scary. Im realy starting to wonder about this guy.

I know the cars not hot...well atleast not been reported anyway.

I just cant get jerk wod to give me his last name.

I have had to go through this before with HLS30448652 because of the fact that I bought it from a junkyard. The junkyard had the tiel and even let me look through his title book but, it had been misplaced. He even offered to give me a couple of 240Z titles! I ended up going through a company that advertises in Hemmings and the process was about $150.00 and it is accomplished with "buy to sell back" type of transaction. In the meantime I had made a trip to MVA to verify that the car was still titled in Md. and subsequently when I walked in with a Rhode Island title they didn't flinch.

It is certainly not worth moving VIN# i.d. plates around causing more headaches down the road.

Good luck.