IGNORED

It is stuck! I mean fused like fast-food chicken

hls30.com

I pulled the suspension off the '72 last week, and went about takeing everything apart for cleaning up, painting and replacing the bushings.

I had three corners done, and when I got to the lower pivot on the DS rear(links the strut carrier to the lower suspension member), the MFSOB shaft will not come out.

I have tried liquid solvent over night, a two lb hammer(that shaft sure is maleable) a 4lb hammer (did I mention distorting the shaft?), massive doses of oxy/acet, and welding up a jig to use a 4lb slide hammer on the (at one time) still pristine end. The shaft has not moved at all, needless to say, it is trash now, but I would still like to use the pieces from that corner instead of pulling one from a parts car. If nobody has any suggestions, I will pull another corner next weekend.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Will

Will:

It was me who arranged to borrow one from another member. I can vouch for how useful that tool is. IMO you were fortunate to be able to get one out without using the tool. Using the the tool, you can easily remove a spindle pin (you screw the tool onto the pin, so I hope you haven't trashed both ends of it) without damage to the parts or your hands.

Carl, Now you tell me-the worst part is now, I remember the thread, I had been looking at it for pointers as I have never replaced the bushings before! I did take out the keeper bolt before hammering away, but both ends are now threaded mushrooms thought I probably could cut off thedamaged part and still manage to keep 10-12mm of threads. If that doesn't work, the only thing I think I can do is to sacrifice the part that is the same only upside down between the sides and shares with all S-30s to get the pin out and reuse the 240 bearing and strut portion, adding the pin and cut portion from a 280Z.

The other side came out with a few taps, and a pair of vice grips on the nut-not even a real challenge!

Maybe I should arrange to borrow one of those jewels before I get the spare to take parts from. Who ever has it, if I may borrow it, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity-I will hunt down the thread and ask a little more appropriately.

Will

Before the Spindle Pin tool was created, I took my suspension to a machine shop, and with the use of a 30 ton press, and a torch, they were able to get the pin out. (think they cut off the threads I ruined first. $30 bucks each.

Other people have said that they used a "Sawzall" to cut the pin on both sides(in between the Axle Housing and the A-arm), then pressed the remainder of the pin out of the Axle Housing. They were able to reuse the A-Arm

I looked at cutting the pin at the open hinge points, But I am not confident I could cut it stright enough with the sawzall to not hurt either of the pieces. I had considered making a screw based puller and welding the rod to the pin, but I had the idea, and not the materials...

I probably could cut the pin, and I do have a healthy shop press. I am working on the car all day tomorrow, I will give it a shot.

Will

I am afraid that if the pin is damaged on the ends that you have not much choice but to take to a shop and have it pressed out. I have the pin puller and it wont work if the threads are damaged sorry. Being that this is the only one left to do there is no sence in shipping it to you . This puller saves the old pin and it can be reused however it requires the pin to have good threads . So any MEMBER that needs to use the puller let me know , just send me a email or a PM . Gary