IGNORED

Just bought a factory restored 72 240Z!

gruvyz

I invited you to PM's in order to let the thread continue on topic. Period. You chose not to do so. Instead you continue to perceive a personal attack at every post that doesn't agree with your view.

As for names, guess if you must.

As for my use of BOLD and quotes, I am pointing out what you wrote. Period. Since you are the only one making a big deal about the word "factory" being an insult and the expectation of an apology, it appears that you expect an apology. You won't get it from me!

I wouldn't bother to tell you what I want you to do. But maybe you shouldn't expect everyone to see things your way, whether you are right or wrong.

As for the "name", you were not called anything like that in public. If it was done privately, perhaps you would have been better served to take the "high road" and keep it private.

Ooh, I sure hope I haven't offended anybody. :cheeky:

Just for the record, I'm doing all my complaining out in the open. Not in PM's or reports to Admin.

I wasn't referring to you. I didn't suspect you reported because you are taking part in the thread! I suspect that most thread reports are reported either by someone who joins into a discussion to bitch and whine about the "direction this site is going" or someone who sits back and reads it through and it's too damn to stupid to just ignore it if he/she isn't happy with what's being said. Personally I don't care what you guys discuss on the site.

This is all very interesting but, I do see the point of what was said earlier regarding a possibly higher quality control being acheived at a small restoration shop versus a big factory where asembly line method has been employed. If only Nissan and to a larger extent the Japanese culture and our understanding of it as westerners had been a bit more open when the cars were being currently produced, we might have been the beneficiaries of better record keeping these many years down the road. Over the years I have read in various sources of Nissan's in-house quality control measures that seemed to have been light years ahaid of what was being produced here in America.

I for one would love to be able to find out with a fair amount of precision just how many S30's were produced in various color and trim specifications. Another curiosity that I will never be able to indulge in with regard to these cars is the ability to know where every last chassis number was shipped and further to whom they were sold. If only the Datsun had the equivalent to what is available from the British Heritage Motor Industry Trust!

In closing I must say that for some time now I have been made aware that there are quite a few U.S. citizens who do come across as "arrogant" and the fact that some of these citizens have traveled overseas only makes it more difficult when some of us do travel throughout the world. Being the product of such a society can sometimes cause a perception and the fact that our "english" is not typically precise it tends to create problems as well. Lastly, had Nissan been a bit more cautious in approving ad copy early on us "yanks" might not have gotten the idea that the Z was created just for us without regard to the world market.

The cure: I vote for a field trip to Japan! (God help us as mainland Japan might never be the same)

I wasn't referring to you. I didn't suspect you reported because you are taking part in the thread!

I didn't think it was aimed at me Michael. Sorry if it looked like I was taking a shot in your direction.

I was answering Victor's plea for calm. It's annoying to think people seem to have time to complain to Admin but can't be bothered to make a post confronting the issue on the thread concerned.

And to think that this thread was started by some gentleman who's so proud and excited to have purchased a "Vintage Z" :ermm: I suppose we could all debate about the term "Vintage" as all of our Z's are technically a vintage vehicle, no? Running for cover now...................

Vicky

This is all very interesting but, I do see the point of what was said earlier regarding a possibly higher quality control being acheived at a small restoration shop versus a big factory where asembly line method has been employed.

Good points, all the way through.

Nobody ever seems to remember that the first generation was built down to a price. If it hadn't been designed and assembled in the way it was, then it couldn't have been sold at the price. If it couldn't have been sold at that price ( even allowing slick dealers some leeway to jack the prices up once demand could not meet supply ) then America would not have consumed so many of them. That's a chicken and egg situation.

Of course, its easy to be wise 30-odd years after the event ( when so much has changed, including us ) and talk about "improving" the cars over and above what they were originally built as. It stands to reason that it can be done "better" today ( with all the subjectivity behind that word ) than it was necessary or possible to do back then. I find it amazing that people think only of what the car turns out like today in the 21st Century, after many hundreds of hours and many thousands of Dollars have been spent on them, and seemingly not about the business pressures 30-odd years ago when Japan was struggling to make products to sell around the world.

The cure: I vote for a field trip to Japan! (God help us as mainland Japan might never be the same)

I agree. Mohammed really ought to go to the mountain, rather than the mountain coming to Mohammed.

Want to meet me in Japan, daddz? :)

I was wondering, did Mr. K or Matsuo or any of the original people that were involved in the design/production/marketing of the S30 have anything to do with the "240Z Restoration Program"? Not trying to bag the cars, just curious.

I was wondering, did Mr. K or Matsuo or any of the original people that were involved in the design/production/marketing of the S30 have anything to do with the "240Z Restoration Program"? Not trying to bag the cars, just curious.

I'm fairly certain that those gentleman were long gone from Nissan when this program was conceived. If they were involved to any degree I suspect they would have simply been paid to make appearances but not to criticize the program. My understanding is that the whole purpose behind the program was to fill the void left by the departure of the 300ZX (Z32) from the U.S. market after the 1996 model year. That particular car continued to be sold elsewhere in the world so it makes sense that the restoration program was specific to the U.S. As Alan and others have repeatedly pointed out it is misleading to use the word "factory" in the title. I can't find any references where Nissan actually used the word but others certainly have.

Here's a link to the aforementioned checklist in Adobe PDF format.

http://jasonjarvis.com/240ZRestorationprogram.pdf