IGNORED

RHD Conversion. Yeah I Know!

brianglawson

Here is an idea. Buy this poor soul off of E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7912855949

I bet there is quite a few parts you could use.

FWIW this car has been on e-bay for a while it keeps getting relisted and the price has dropped drastically.

Good luck

Ed

That was the car that someone here was trying to save recently. Better I think to use it as a donor car to convert another one to RHD rather than try to save the original fairlady shell.

Go for it Brian, you know it makes sense :)

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Be sure to think this through man, I had a buddy with a '71 fairlady in the portland area.....real nice car, and yes, it had that 'wow factor' but it was annoying to drive in the US, just like what was said about passing a big rig etc. The novelty wears off fairly quickly....I think he eventually dumped it and got a rhd...and that's without wasting all the time and money into changing one from rhd to lhd.

Going through a drive through without p/w is really annoying w/o a passenger as well!!!! heh

Although if you do it, be sure to keep us posted...just wanted you to know what a buddy in Portland Oregon went through with a fairlady.

This sounds like a potentially expensive project... and with the prices for a Z in the US soaring I think it might be worth thinking about this. How about buying a car from Australia and shipping it over? They're much cheaper here, and once you've factored in the cost of the conversion... it might work out cheaper that way - plus it will be a *real* RHD.

Something to think about at least. We don't have many Z's left here though, so finding one might take some time...

if you was thinking of doing a rhd conversion with the car that is on ebay then you might find some of the parts will not fit in a 72 .you would have to use a later car either a 260z or an early 280z because that is basicly what the fairlady is so the parts would be more likely the same.

This sounds like a potentially expensive project... and with the prices for a Z in the US soaring I think it might be worth thinking about this. How about buying a car from Australia and shipping it over? They're much cheaper here, and once you've factored in the cost of the conversion... it might work out cheaper that way - plus it will be a *real* RHD.

Something to think about at least. We don't have many Z's left here though, so finding one might take some time...

i like the idea of getting a real one, if i could find one cheap... but i already have a 72, and it would be just stepping backwards..

• 4 years later...

Yeah just buy one i did RHD S30 1972 blue I put a L24 because the original engine blew a hole in no 6 cylinder. Had a L24 rebuilt with an e31 head waiting thought why not but i got wiring issues, won't start from key but everything else works. Bought It in Kansas City of all places needed floorpans but otherwise good condition. I also owned a 260, and a 208 and 300zx Z31. I 'll keep my eyes open I always find odd stuff, There was one for sale 3 years ago in KC as well that was RHD 1973 went fast.