IGNORED

27th z!!!

zhead240

Thanks for the reply about the "red" car I inquired about. I

Here's a question for thought. First off I think it's cool that you went ahead and bought this car and all with the sequential vin numbers and all, the fact that they are identical color combos is interesting, and I don't mean for this to sound harsh or silly. If you find or could find number 28, would you buy it too? (Maybe somebody has 28 already I don't know) and would you still buy 28 if it was also Green and Butterscotch and identical in every aspect as 26 and 27? Just wondering.

I can appreciate that these cars are going up in value, especially since I just bought one, but to say that the <100 cars are more valuable or bringing more $ than factory restored ones is reaching a bit and I think absurd. Gets back to the "I own this vin tag hanging on the wall" comment posted earlier, to which I say so what.

I look forward to following your progress as you resurrect this car and can respect your wishes to do so. I tend to look at some things in a more dollars and sense fashion, but that's me.

Eventualy thease cars are going to be all snatched up and gone.

You have to buy heaps to have one to play with...Here in Arkansas we dont have many zs.

I have seen one other 240z. The rest are 260 or newer.

Why do you think i own the heap i have.

I think you made A good move Chris. Cant waight to see more pics

Carl Beck and I are going around about car value at the moment. The sale of a car always brings up this conversation as we all get to see what I believe to be the ultimate covenant; "What someone is willing to pay".

Would I go for three-of-a-kind? Good question, but I doubt it. When I first saw 27, I dissed the car. On the other hand, I have been communicating and inquiring about other low VIN cars. But, I also routinely inquire about RHD Fairladys and such. How cool would a ZG or 432 be? Up until now, I never thought seriuosly about more than one 240-Z and I was quite content to recognize and appreciate 26. My first impression of 27 was not much more than my impressions of a couple of other low VIN cars I have looked at. Here are a couple of pictures I got from my inquiry into #33.

I'm a believer in the first 100 cars. Beck says the first 500 and I have no reason to dispute it. I bought 26 way back when because I believe in low VINs. I'm not real fond of the VIN tags hanging on the wall. That's what I call air car. I guess about mid-week during the auction, after a number of "heavy" conversations with several Z friends, I decided to give it a try and bid on the car. I think at this point, I'm done. Its fun to have a pair and I can just leave it at that. I'm not out to collect any more.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and support. Some day soon, green twins will appear at a car show. In the mean time, we can have fun with the twins thing and make up all kinds of stories about majestic royalty and perverse fantasy. I hope to have the car in Tampa by the end of the month and I'll throw a party.

post-4148-1415079409377_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794094059_thumb.jpg

Bill, I don't think anyone's going to rag on you, that's a legit question. Earlier in this thread, Keith says the 27 was built before 26. I'd also like to know why a car built earlier than another would have a higher VIN.

From what I understand, 27 shows a 10 / 69 build stamp - to be verified. 26 shows an 11 / 69 build stamp and the dated parts on the car are 10 / 69 and 9 / 69. My explanation has always been that 26 was pulled out of line for misbehavior, but now that 27 is talking, the story may change. More on that later.

Alan T. suggested many months ago that the actual date stamp was not made on the assembly line, but at Nissan's shipping facility and I can't remember the name. There is controversy over that issue. We all tend to believe that the cars were manufactured sequentially and we have every reason to believe they were. According to the build records kats showed us, 26 and 27 should have been manufactured in October. We may never know why the discrepancy, but you can certainly count on a great fabrication from me!

I posted all of the legible pictures I have of 27 in my gallery.

Congrats. Of course everything is worth what you're willing to pay for it, or what you're willing to sacrifice to obtain it. I'm glad you are reuniting the twins. Looks like a lot of hard work, but someone has to save these early cars or too many will end up being crushed. Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Announcing the arrival of Princess 27! Finally! She arrived at dusk last night and by the time we got the car on the ground, it was too dark to photograph. But here are some teasers until I can do something proper in the daylight.

First, let me thank each and every one of you who talked me into this. Love you too! :knockedou

You may remember my inquiries about hauling the car down to Florida from Delaware. I contacted a guy I met at the Porsche Rennsport Reunion and he turned out to be the best deal of the century. He was easily $300 less than everyone else. Billy Springle, Springle Transport Services, Inc., 14656 63rd Court North, Loxahatchee, Florida 33470 TugRacing@aol.com 561-436-4681 and 561-790-2797. The very highest recommendation for service and ease to work with.

I was having lunch with Carl Beck the other day and he snickered: "It can't be much worse than the pictures we saw". Well Carl, its worse. And I haven't seen the car in the daylight yet! But this a good and bad story. Briefly described, 27 is a car that has been sitting outside for the last 15 years and there is no question she looks it. Animals have lived in the car. There is a snake skin shed draped across the console. I think the rust would make some of you faint, yet I have seen others on this site tackle very similar problems. The nice thing about the car is that it came packed FULL of parts - body panels, seats, interior parts, and boxes of "stuff". The seller had been collecting things for all these years and there is some amazing stuff here.

The rust:

The poor baby will require new rear wheel arches complete to the lower rocker dogleg, new spare tire well, new front inner rockers behind the front fenders, new lower radiator cross member, new hood and front fenders. I haven't totally assessed the frame rails yet, but they look bad, especially around the sway bar mounts. Everything is covered in surface rust. There are miscellaneous rust gaping holes all over the place. The battery box looks good. The cowl looks good. The floors are good and the main rockers are good. The rear valance is all good - even the top under the hatch! Keep in mind that "good" is used in the very liberal sense. Good as opposed to gone or unusable.

The car is everything you would imagine from sitting outside so long, but she is reasonably complete. Most of the parts are all there. It still has all the emission controls and it has headers with the air injection ports!?!??? Original braided hoses LOL And most of the interior is still in the car.

The parts:

This was the most fun - unpacking the car. Spare complete deck lid, spare door, spare interior from a '73 for what that's worth. Brand new Nissan door skins. Brand new Nissan front valance and turn signals. Brand new side marker lights. Brand new set of metal emblems including chromed Z quarter emblems. But this is what made our jaws drop...early, early cars came without hatch glass defrosters...brand new with the Nissan part sticker clear hatch glass. Amazing. And there is all kinds of other stuff - a couple of boxes worth.

Well, that's the initial report from the battle line of psychotic automotive restoration. The car is at Jim's in Tampa and I'm throwing a party Saturday to celebrate. Ya'll are invited. Come on over and have a good laugh!

post-4148-14150794185979_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794186282_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794186577_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794186793_thumb.jpg

Chris, My hats off to you. You are truely a brave man, for sure a diehard Z guy, to take on this restoration!!! Now thats love if I've ever seen it. Its guys like you that help keep Z fever alive and well. Wishing you all the luck and patients. :D

Tom

P.S. If I lived a little closer I'd join your celebration, but Florida is just a bit out of my way!

The battery box looks good.

Well, that's a surprise.

ROFL

I take it that the previous owner bought all of those replacement before letting the car rust in a field. It wouldn't make sense to start collecting parts without making any attempt to preserve the rest.

We'll all be interested in seeing more pictures as you start digging in more ...