IGNORED

How to : Install a functional DVD theater system in your 240Z or 280Z!!! :)

i used a Pyle DVD player...

no skipping.. as i know of...

but I only watch it when parked.. when I have a girl in me car.. :bunny:

My friends have watched it when moving.. works fine .. no skipping..

but i need to get a higher quality monitor.. but then again..

i NEVER use it! ever.. kinda a waste.. but cool

....anyone considering this should be advised that in many states of the USA, it is illegal to have a video screen that is visable...

There goes Carl again with the legal advise.

Here's my advise. Do whatever you want with your stereo system. Just don't get caught or kill anyone doing it. :)

The electronics in that setup is pretty intense. I've been thinking about a DVD system in my 350z. Of course I would rewire it so I can watch movies anytime. I really want it so I can play surround DVD's in the car mostly.

-- Mike

There goes Carl again with the legal advise.

You may not like the "legal advice" (frankly, I don't care if you or anyone does), but it is correct information. Your advice to " Do whatever you want with your stereo system. Just don't get caught or kill anyone doing it." sounds like something a 14 yr old would say. :stupid:

Why ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.

Simple. Because it ignores fact that "accidents" do happen. Whether or not someone intends for them to happen. You can't tell someone to "don't get caught or kill anyone doing it" and expect that "advice" to have any real impact on the occurance of accidents, and dangerous situations that caused these laws to be put in place.

Actually, I believe he should keep watching DVD's while he drives. While he is at it, he should probably also steal from the local department store, kick puppies, and spraypaint his grandmas house. Don't forget to kick the little puppies. No wait, club baby seals -- even better.

You may not like the "legal advice" (frankly, I don't care if you or anyone does), but it is correct information.

Ok, I'd like to challenge your "correct information"

Nice work, but anyone considering this should be advised that in many states of the USA, ...

Which states? Perhaps he lives in a state that it is legal? Did you research this?

....it is illegal to have a video screen that is visable (even just barely, & from the side) by the driver.

Could you please define "even just barely" for the court to understand? How does one go about viewing video from the side? When I look at a monitor from the side, I simply see a piece of plastic. Are we talking 10 degrees from a direct right angle? Which states allow 10 degrees and which ones allow 20 degrees?

You don't have to get caught driving with it on to get busted, if a cop sees it and believes it "could" be seen by the driver ,.....

Most systems I have seen are equipped with a preventitive measure that will not allow a driver to watch movies while driving. It is connected to the parking brake indicator. Ie: If the parking brake is engaged, the driver can view a movie. If the parking is dis-engaged, the movie mode cannot be used. Last time I checked into this (about a year ago), Oregon allowed a system like this to be installed in plain view. So, just because it appears that a driver could watch a move while sitting still, they cannot actually perform the action while driving.

....he can issue a citation.

Well, we all know cops CAN issue citations for just about anything. But, it's all a matter of how much paperwork they are willing to deal with.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling and picking on you Carl (you're just such an easy target!). But, I just hate to see legal info given out on my site. Bad legal advice is just as bad as telling someone to jump off a bridge. And we've all heard that one before.... "Would you jump off a bridge if someone told you to do it?!"

I do have a point with all of this. A site like this should not be the basis for actions in the real world. Take everything from here knowing the information you recieve COULD be lacking some details which may cause even more problems.

Just for the record, I actually AGREE with Carl. I don't believe watching DVD movies while driving is a good idea. That is just common sense. However, it is your car and imagination that put together such a wonderful electronic package. Go with it. Just know that it only takes a second to kill yourself and others around you. I say, drive for the fun of driving. :)

I think this thread is officially stolen. hehe... sorry guys

California is one state that does not allow it. There are others. I did not specifiy which because I did not memorize all of the details contained in the articles I read about this issue. (One was presented in CA Traffic School by a CHP officer) CO state could very well be one that allows it, on the other hand it may not be. That is why I said "many states" and not specificly CO. Also I was not warning HIM (specificly) as other people who live elsewhere will view the Tech Article.

Sure a cop "can" overlook" a situation (for a variety of reasons), but he can also be a PITA and "stick it to you" for a variety of reasons (some of which may not have anything to do with you). Maybe the donuts were not fresh this morning, he didn't get lucky last night, you've pissed him off previously, etc.

Since I did not provide any specifics, I consider the advice to be "general cautionary advice", not "legal advice" which would be of a more specific nature.

As for the veracity of my (or any other person's) advice given on this or any other subject or site. Common sense should be used in following any of it. Some people have better advice (sometimes) than other people. People who give advice should give the best and most honest advice that they can. On the other side, some people follow advice better than others. It is the responsibility of the person who chooses to use advice, to use it properly, and to make sure it is properly applied to their situation.

Who hijacked the thread? Not me. My cautionary post was dated 06-27-04 so it's not like I am the one who brought it up 6 1/2 months later. Someone else did that.

I am not really interested in the video portion of a DVD player-I have a large screen laptop if I want to watch a movie on the go, but after following the industry gabfor the last 18 months, it looks to me that the DTS surrond sound that can (and is) encoded on the audio portion of a DVD is the "next big thing" in audio-more licenses being issued for it than anything else. Kind of like the transition from AM to FM, or 8track to cassette to CD. Availability usually follows, Static Professional gear, home gear, car gear. I just wanted to see if the density of encoding on a DVD brings a stronger propensity to skip, I mean a 240Z with Illuminas and urethane bushings certianly is not the most shock absorbing transport for a DVD player that is being put to use!

Will

P.S. Carl if you will take off that promotional hat that Target gave you at their grand opening, you might not be such easy pickins! LOL :knockedou