IGNORED

Color for grill/rear tail light panel

keiths71240Z

I was wondering what everybody thinks of this.

After reading in Wick Humbles "How to restore your Datsun Z car" that the original steel hupcaps should be painted the same color as the rear finisher.

What I'm doing is painting a banged up hup cap with Dupli-Color WP 102 Graphite, a top coat of WP 103 Wheel coating clear amd then Clear Matte top coat. I hope to get a good result.

Hope to get a similar result as whats posted in the gallery

1974 DATSUN 260Z - RLS30-020697

post-5607-14150793980507_thumb.jpg

I just painted finished painting my grill last night. I started with a Rust Tough primer after sanding with 600 grit/wet. Then I sanded the thick coat of primer with 600 wet again. Color was added, and I used the Dupli-Color Graphite WP102, and then the Rust-oleum 1902 matte clear. Here is the first picture. I should have taken the photos of the grill before it was installed, but after it was dry I was too excited. I had to put it on. I am really happy with the color and finish.

Ben

Hi Jimbo, I am interested in how your wheel cover comes out as I would like to do this someday as buying hubcaps in immaculate condition is very costly. It's nice to see other 260z owners that love there cars here in the US.:classic:

Take care,

Ben

Hi Ben,

I finished my first 2 trial run 1 with the WP 102, WP 103 and the matte and the 2nd with 102 and and just the matte. I'll post pics tommorrow when I have better light and camara. I not sure which one is a closer match. Any pictures available of original hub caps?

Thanks,

Jim

1974 DATSUN 260Z - RLS30-020697

• 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...
I have had pretty good success (IMHO) approximating the original shade and finish using the following:

Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating – HWP102

Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Multi-Purpose Paint – 1902 Matte Clear

I used this technique a couple of years ago (See post # 5). Turned out fantastic!