IGNORED

GRM 240Z vs 350Z comparo

2ManyZs

Originally posted by hls30.com

The 350Z does have 4 wheels, an engine, and Nissan Z badges!

BUT,

Of all of the "sportscars" I test drove recently, not one was memorable. They were all fast, they all handled well, but they were built for any fool to drive fast, They were too smooth, They were bland and generic, and had absolutely no individuality, they were built for people who don't really know how to drive, they were engineered to convince any driver into thinking he or she was capable, but not one of them was even close to as exhilerating to drive.

Exactly. That's what you get from a mass-produced car built from drawings a 7 year-old kid draws! There are NO lines, NO individuality. NO "gritting-your-teeth" feeling like you get from the East African Safari. You'd have to spend abouut $80,000 MORE to get a car that gives you the feeling that YOU are really the one in control. What you would get for that money is a scratch-built sports car or a vintage racer.

Sound familiar??

You guys really sound like a bunch of old men talking about one of them "new fangled things" that you just don't understand. The 350z is an amazing car that really can't be touched by anything else at $27,000. I agree, however, that the $47,000 roadster is just a big heavy toad. But, you guys should really drive the base model if you're looking to make an opinion.

I got the chance to drive a base-model and absolutely loved it. The car has all the old sounds that my '71 used to have. It might be something about the rear-wheel drive, but, it's just sweet. The car handled like it was on rails and it was able to cross the railroad tracks without making me feel like I was bounced all over the place.

I don't know how all of the other models handle, but, it seems to me that all the extra junk only makes it an expensive car. The base model is a very good value at $27k and I don't think there is anything else that can touch it.

Next time you want push your opinion about it, make sure you take the car out on a drive first. Specs are one thing, but, driving is a whole different experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love my '71 and the feeling it gives. It's a rumbly, loose, metallic classic car....... The 350z takes that feeling to the next level with todays technology (and not all of that rumbly, loose, metallic stuff). :D

I've seen most of the new cars today, from Lincoln LS to Ford Focus to the 250Z. Drove just about all. I don't count any of them as a sports car, because they are all designed to be PASSENGER CARS.

That is why I don't care for the 350Z. It's built to make you feel comfortable with stereo, climate controls and cup holders.

Besides the fact that I don't think Nissan knows how to make a sports car any more, I just don't like the looks of the 250Z, period. All they tried to do was to out-do Honda & toyota with a super-rice car and I'm surprised it doesn't have a big wing, lots of stupid lights and a 42-inch video screen (on convertibles) so the people behind you can see themselves!

the thing looks like a big blob and I've seen better cars drawn by little kids. They probably got the idea from the Boss' kid.

If you want to see real sports cars, go to Sebring, or LeMans, or places like that. Not Corvette either; It's not a sports car.

IMO of course.

Mike, I am 41, and I drove a 350Z Track model, a Z06 Corvette, a BMW Z4, and a Viper. These were the cars my buddy wanted to check out. All of the cars were faster than my 240-big shocker, all of them out handled it hands down-another big suprise! As nice as the cars were, and they were, not one had any sort of staying power in my mind, they were tansients in my thoughts-nothing stood out as a "Wow! I have got to get me one of these!"

They reminded me of a beautiful woman with a passion for sex and nothing else-a fantastic way to spend a few weeks, but no chance I would keep her for a lifetime.

Maybe that does make me an old man...

I do think performance to dollar the 350Z is the best deal, and that is what I told my buddy. That is also its only link to a 240Z as far as I could tell.

Will

By the sounds of it I think we have a few masochists in here... ROFL

Do you think it is odd that apparently no new car is a true sports car anymore?? Times have changed, and I suspect the meaning of the word has changed somewhat too. If Nissan had built the 350Z to be a light-weight, "gritting-your-teeth" kinda car, I doubt it would have sold as well......... and money makes the world go round, not old-school cars with "character".

BTW I DONT LIKE THE 350Z AT ALL AND I WISH IT WOULD DIE AND GO TO HELL. BY NO MEANS AM I TRYING TO IMPLY ITS A CAR I WOULD LIKE TO OWN. CLASSICS FOR ME, THANKS!

You guys are really making me regret registering to this forum.

.:mad:

Mike is absolutely right....you guys DO sound like a bunch of old men bashing the 350Z because of its "new fangled technology, etc.."

Now, I am not out to make enemies or anything, and I realize you guys are all quite 240Z-biased...but...

I have yet to hear an intelligent or even a legitimate comment with regards to the 350Z and its performance/heritage (or lack thereof)... and it would seem, by reading these posts, that a few of you are just making rash assumtions brought on by fits of jealous anger whenever you see a 350Z pass by you on the interstate. :devious:

Again, I am sure you are all adults here, and I love my 240Z just as much as my 350Z, but...C'MON!

Times change. Therefore, technology mandates more advanced parts and more advanced features of a modern car.

What the 350Z is...is a true 2-door sports car with power and handling that rivals most of todays $50-60,000 cars for a lot less money.

What the 240Z is, and was...was the same thing back in the 70's.

...an affordable sports car that rivaled the more expensive sports cars of the '70s.

Simple as that.

That may be the only thing the 2 cars have in common, besides the letter Z on the trunk, and Nissan may be a totally different animal than Datsun was...

but one shouldn't pass hasty judgement on a great car unless one is speaking from experience...and not from a biased, non-objective view.:geek:

I'm done.

I have two new automobiles, a Volvo S80 and Dodge Ram Quadcab-they were bought for hauling the to be born and the to be ressurrected (No Easter pun intended) -they didn't "speak" to me either-the Volvo was the safest car I could find, and the Dodge was the best value in a truck that could hold a soon to be added to family. They are nice vehicles like a 350Z, but I have no real passion for either of them. If someone hits one of them in a parkinglot, oh well, Insurance will cover it. If someone hits my 240Z in a parking lot there could be, and probably will be a fight!

Yes, I know, "someone with priorities so far out of whack does not deserve such a fine automobile", I just don't let it bother me...

Will

What I really feel? ROFL It's a ZX and they KNOW IT, the bastards!!

Some people just dont understand it's not about jealousy. It's about passion! And we hold our passion so close to our hearts, that when Nissan releases something as innately different to our cars, but uses *OUR* name, it hurts. I think that's what's coming through here more than jealousy, or hatred, or a superiority-complex.

edit: kinda ironic i dont have one isnt it? Oh well, "absence makes the heart grow stronger". Too right!!!!!

Originally posted by Alfadog

What I really feel? ROFL It's a ZX and they KNOW IT, the bastards!!

Some people just dont understand it's not about jealousy. It's about passion! And we hold our passion so close to our hearts, that when Nissan releases something as innately different to our cars, but uses *OUR* name, it hurts. I think that's what's coming through here more than jealousy, or hatred, or a superiority-complex.

Well...I guess that makes a little more sense.

Maybe.

So what you're saying, is...

you guys would have been happier if Datsun would have just discontinued the Z after...oh, i dunno....1970-something-or-other?

You'll find most people here don't like the 350 because it's so complicated (like all new cars) that they can't work on it themselves.

Too many electronic "gizmo's", traction control etc... most of us feel that traction control is the drivers right foot. The 240 was and always will be a simple design that just happened to work better than nearly everything else on the market at the time, while the 350 is trying to keep up with the market in technology.

Even the body design doesn't evoke any memories of the early cars either.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

You'll find most people here don't like the 350 because it's so complicated (like all new cars) that they can't work on it themselves.

Too many electronic "gizmo's", traction control etc... most of us feel that traction control is the drivers right foot. The 240 was and always will be a simple design that just happened to work better than nearly everything else on the market at the time, while the 350 is trying to keep up with the market in technology.

Sometimes less is more.

Well...don't you think the 240Z was up-to-date with technology in 1972?

Wasn't it just as complex than all the other cars made in 1972?

Sure it was.

It's all relative. I see your point too, but.

When Nissan decided to revive the Z for 2003...they couldn't have very well gotten away with introducing a 3.5L dual-carburated engine, now could they?

:cross-eye