IGNORED

carpet kits or tips

Dan

I'm looking into putting in a new carpet in my 72. I know there must be plenty of folks out there that have done this. My question is who out there sells the best kits and has anybody just gone and done it them selves. I'd like to do a custom job my self so if anyone has any tips on auto trim or knows of some good books or videos i'd really appreciate it.

I have used a couple of the carpet kits from MSA and have been pleased with how they look. Most anyone who sells Z parts has a carpet kit, and they are all priced competetively. I'm not very good with carpet so I didn't do a custom job myself.

I've done carpet kits before in trucks, but not in the Z-car. Well, not YET anyway. Based on that info and having pulled the carpets out of our `72 a couple years back, I can offer the following opinion.

It sucks.

No really... it sucks. Our `72 is completely stripped right now and although it will mean I'm almost finished with the rebuild, I'm not looking forward to it. I could be wrong... I hope I'm wrong.

Mostly I don't like the fact that carpet kits are usually CLOSE, but they just don't seem to fit right. Good fit may be a directly relation to how much the kit cost of course... dunno. Either way, wrinkles were a pain to get out, some areas were tight where other areas bunched. Yech.

On the Z, you'll be pulling out both seats and the center console. If I recall, the center console (of the stock carpet anyway) joined both sides of the car into a single piece so you'll do the driver and passenger sides together. Console may be problematic if you've had drinks spilled in it before. Rusted bolts snap off... ask me how I know!

Door sills are easy, but kinna bend easy. Be careful with them. Any other body pieces should be fine... I just don't quite remember. The existing carpet should pull up easily from the stock padding.

At this point it is kind of like pulling a loose thread on a sweater. If you keep pulling, the whole thing will just keep coming. You may decide to replace some of that padding that may have worn through or looks (smells) bad. Then you may find a little bit of rust... or notice that the heater core hoses &/or fittings look nasty... or whatever. You may be setting yourself up here.

Once you get the wrinkles, bunches and tight spots figured out, gluing & reassembly should be a cinch. As far as which kit to use, a wise man once said "Buy the best and cry once. Buy cheap and you're always crying."