IGNORED

Air dam/bumper

Dan

I just installed an msa air dam on my 240z and i have a question about what turn signals i should use instead of the stock ones. The air dam is the same one as pictured on the home page of this site, and i wish that i had thought of cutting holes in it like the owner of that Z did. I ask because in the msa catalog there are a couple of cars pictured with the same air dam that have thier turn signals between the top of the air dam and hood. This was my intention from the start to install turn signal just like that. I just wandered if there was a particular signal light used perhaps from a different year Z.

Dan,

I had no idea MSA had that airdam. Right on...

Did you take any pictures of your installation? I'd love to see them. From what I can tell on the pict (front of the site), it looks like that airdam is installed w/out a bumper? Is that true? Or, does it fit over the bumper?

The MSA airdam doesn't have any holes for turn signals, eh? How about the quality of workmanship? Good, bad?

I've seen good and bad things come from MSA. I sure wish they would review the products themselves before selling them.

Oh, and if you don't mind... can you create a review of that airdam and post it to our reviews area? Hint: Create it using a web page editor first, and then paste the code into the field.

I'm looking to get the same airdam/bumper for my 73 Z and I heard you can use the turnsignal assembly that go into the grill from a later model z around 75-78(don't know which ones though)

I have a few questions about that bumper:

1. does it go over the stock bumper(like a cover) or is it totally independent from the stock one?

2. Any other special parts you have to buy in order to bolt it up( new brakets or anything like that)?

3. is it smoothed out, or do you have to sand parts of it?

If he's using the air dam I'm thinking about you have to use the 280 turn signals in the grill. I believe the cover is made so that you can remove the bumper. It's not quite as good looking as the one on the red car on the main page(if Zlishous ever finds the URL so we can look at it) but it isn't a bad looking alternative.

I will send picks soon of the air dam and i only say bumber/air dam because although the stock bumper is not used the air dam it's self sticks out a little to provide a little protection i suppose. Anyway i did alot of research before i put this air dam on, that is in the installation of it because i am not a body man. So i'll just pass on my experience for any that might like to know. First i talked to former owner of ZTherepy Scott Brunning ( i hope i got his name right) and then i bought his video fiberglass installation wich ZTherepy still sells. The quality of msa body parts are pretty good but be warned there is some minor work to be done before you can install properly. First i took my rotory tool and ground out about a quarter of an inch on both sides because it didn't fit quite right. Then i mocked up the air dam and held it in place with quick grips for a good all round inspection. With about an hour of grinding here and there i felt i was ready to put it on. I couter sunk several bolt holes on each side where ever fiberglass and the body of the car met. I sanded the jell coat off in areas that i wanted to lay my fiberglass body filler and glue. I slaped it together and tightend down the bolts. Futher ensuring that the air dam will never come off i took fiberglass mat soaked in resin and hardener and layed it on the underside. I then took fiberglass body filler and filled in any gaps,let dry and sanded smooth. I think i did a pretty good job for somone who has never done it before. However i will say that i really need to put on the 16in wheels and lowering springs i want to make it look right. I have 14 wheels right now which don't fill the wheel wells, just something you might want to think about before adding body work.

Thanks for the heads up Dan. I too am not it to major body work and I look into that before I get started on the body. I guess that I'll start with rims and lowering springs first. Thanks Dan

no it's a complete rap around that doesn't use the stock bumper. The air dam you have pictured was my seconed choice because i liked it on other 240's i'd seen. If you have an msa catalog it is item # 50-1409 it is pictured top page 8. nice ride by the way.

Dan, did I understand that the bumper cover/air dam is all fiberglass? I thought it was urethane all this time. Hmm. May have to re-think the idea I had for my one car. I had one fiberglass air dam an didn't like it since it only took a low curb to crack it. Guess I didn't read the description too well in the MSA catalog.

Thanks for the car.

I do not have the MSA catalog, since everybody is talking about it, I might order it, but the price for us Canucks is stiff because of the exchange rate... + customs and taxes... so i try to stay away from it.. I know how I am!!!!:tapemouth

The air dam is fiberglass and pretty thick with a nice white jell coat. Lucky for me my Z is white so unitl i buy my compressor and paint guns and learn how to auto paint it doesn't stick out too bad.