IGNORED

8/71 Inner Shift boot Differnces ??

JSM

I have an 8/71 Z.  Looking to replace the inner shift boot (mine is missing completely). Learned there is a difference but from the pics I can't really tell what the difference is?  That aside, I have a later 83 ZX 5 speed in my car.  Do I even need the correct 71 boot?  Plus I think my car was originally auto too.

When I updated my 4/71 Z to a later model 5 speed, I had to enlarge the shift boot hole in the floor panel and use the later style rectangular boot that is held in place with a screw down metal frame.  All easy to do and the boot will keep the interior of your Z clean, dry, and a little more quiet by blocking road dirt, water and noise.

Dennis

The bottom picture looks like what you need.  The metal retaining rings show up on eBay from time to time.  For mine, I traced a pattern, including screw holes, using the boot at a guide and had the retaining ring made by students at the local high school metal shop class.

Dennis

JSM, You may also need to have your 5-speed shifter modified as well. That's what I had to do with my former 8/71 a few years ago when the original 'Type A'  transmission went bad and I replaced it with a low mileage 'Type B' 4-speed out of a '72 that I had in the garage.  My body & paint guy modified the type B shifter so that it would work better in the '71. I have attached the pictures. 

DSC09609.JPG

DSC09694-001.JPG

DSC09586.JPG

Edited by lonetreesteve

Wow. Thanks.  I didn't realize the shifters moved forward on the later Z's. Here is my cut hole with a ZX 5 speed. Maybe my car was not an auto after all. I could probably tell by VIN but not that concerned. 

Thanks for all the replies  

IMG_0047.JPG

If it shifts fine through all gears without the lever contacting the metal around the cutout area, you should be good to go.  Does it hit the center console when that's installed?  Some of the 5 speed conversions hit the console along the forward vertical face of the console shifter opening.

Looks like you may have to "massage" the trans tunnel cutout a bit (where it was hacked) in order to securely fit the proper style rubber shifter boot in place.  Should all be easy.

Dennis

JSM, For the amount of metal that you cut out, you may not need to modify your shifter.  As Psdenno mentioned, you may want to try shifting with your console in place. As you can see in the picture below, I didn't cut out much of the metal and before my shifter was modified, it would pop out of both 2nd and 4th gears when the console was in place. After the shifter was modified, it shifted great with absolutely no issues.

DSC09604.JPG