Randalla

Better Than New 240Z Taillight Trim

30 posts in this topic

Many of you that have 240Z’s know the chrome tail light bars are one of the first parts to go, due to exhaust gases, weather and time. I’ve owned over ten 240’s through the years and every one of them had rough looking taillight bars, with many even starting to disintegrate. A couple years ago I contracted to have a quantity of them re-produced and have since been offering them for sale. I posted here a year or more ago, but thought I’d provide an update with current pricing and a few pictures. There’s only one other vendor re-producing this part. Their price is higher and the accuracy is inferior to the parts I’ve produced from a perfect pair of OEM originals. Additionally, each pair of my taillight bars comes with instructions and all the necessary fasteners. I have many customers on this site and hope they’ll chime in and vouch for the quality and service received. If you’re interested, the price for club members, including shipping, is $129.95. E-mail me and I‘ll invoice you via PayPal, and get a set in the mail to you today. Satisfaction guaranteed! 

Randy    

post-17919-0-64593500-1421346619_thumb.j

post-17919-0-33610400-1421346643_thumb.j

post-17919-0-82177100-1421346877_thumb.j

post-17919-0-13188000-1421346893_thumb.j

1 person likes this

I forgot to mention what makes them better than new. The factory used a plating process called vacuume metalizing which tends to fade, is not corrosion resistant and deterioates quickly when exposed to the elements. The process used on the taillight bars I reproduced is called electroplating, which produces a superior finish and is durable enough to stand the test of time. Bottom line is these are brighter and more durable than the original factory parts, in addition to being accurate to the last detail.

1 person likes this

The center of the taillight bars don't show up great in the pictures, but rest assured the black paint fill and the fine ribbing trexture is consisent with the originals. If you have questions about disassembly and re-assembly, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Randy 

Thought I'd mention that the taillight lens pictured is one I restored. A little work on your lens with a very mild abrasive (polishing compound) followed by some plastic polish and a good buffing, and you'll have a taillight that looks as good as your new chrome taillight bar. Those two improvements will transform the rear view or your Z.

I did this upgrade too (sorry, dude I used the MSA part).  I totally agree that the improvement is amazing.  And this update is sooooooo much cheaper than trying to find NOS parts.  Easily done in an afternoon.  240Z Tail Light Refurbish.

Just wondering if anyone here has ordered these parts from you and if they would like to give their feedback on the finish of your trim? The big bonus is that it comes with all the fasteners.

I'm in the middle of restoring my tail lights so this is perfect timing for me.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,16057.0.html

Are the MSA ones the same as these? Do you supply MSA?

No feedback? So nobody has ordered these?

A little patina on a Z is nice , shiny stuff not so nice on a semi classic.

Maybe he's talking about a classic semi, where a little patina and no shiny bits works quite well, LOL

post-7818-0-09116600-1433266730_thumb.jp

Randalla: Are you planning on making any 280Z trim reproductions?

I see your 1949 REO and raise you a 1952 Chev,

Maybe he's talking about a classic semi, where a little patina and no shiny bits works quite well, LOL

attachicon.gifREO49truck1.jpg

post-25243-0-42908400-1433289554_thumb.j

1 person likes this

That's funny. LOL I had a 50' Chevy that was the same Green and had about the same amount of rust. I used it to go to the dump. It only had three shocks and one was bailing wire and blew so much oil that a car following you thought you had released an oil slick. Passed the truck on, I hope it got finished.

I forgot to mention what makes them better than new. The factory used a plating process called vacuume metalizing which tends to fade, is not corrosion resistant and deterioates quickly when exposed to the elements. The process used on the taillight bars I reproduced is called electroplating, which produces a superior finish and is durable enough to stand the test of time. Bottom line is these are brighter and more durable than the original factory parts, in addition to being accurate to the last detail.

Randy,

"Accurate to the last detail" is a bit of a stretch unless you elongated the length of the center post subsequent to the pair you sold to me.

Cheers,

George

Randy,

"Accurate to the last detail" is a bit of a stretch unless you elongated the length of the center post subsequent to the pair you sold to me.

Cheers,

George

George did this present any issues? Are you happy with them?

A little patina on a Z is nice , shiny stuff not so nice on a semi classic.

In the beginning I tried really hard to preserve the patina on my car (HS30 00150) but I found it was too difficult to do that if I was to repair it properly...

IMG_20131221_154525.jpg

IMG_20131219_171831.jpg

I've already started polishing the tail lights up, so it makes sense to go with new chrome trims also.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,16057.0.html

George did this present any issues? Are you happy with them?

Hi,

YES and YES ......and YES

YES: Please visit my post (with multiple pictures) documenting the tail light refurbishment project. As you will readily observe, I had to silicone the center post hole due to the inadequate post length. As such, there is no mechanical retention relative to that of a properly anchored post.

YES: The esthetics continue to be pleasing. That said, my Z is living the life of a Royal coach; used selectively on fine summer days and hibernating in warmth throughout our long cold winters.

YES: Fact is, the seller reneged on his commitment to me.....YES, sour grapes......buyer beware!! 

Cheers,

George

@Randalla - can you advise if this issue with the center post length has been changed since Dr.240z purchased his units? If I'm going to organise a group buy I want to make sure they are exactly what they say on the tin.

Hi bartsscooterservice,

Did you have any issues with the center post as mentioned by Dr.240z earlier? Was it the correct length?

ID: 23   Posted (edited)

I've sold over 100 sets of 240Z chrome taillight bars and have received nothing but accolades. The only complaint I've received to date was from George, who posted here previously. Since he was unhappy, I offered to refund the full price, after receiving his back. If you're considering buying a pair, I'd be happy to provide references verifying the quality of the parts I reproduced. I won't name names here, but suffice it to say, many sets have been sold to Z enthusiasts well known on this site (maybe some of them will weigh in). One person in particular purchased 10 sets.

I agree with George that the center post is shorter than the OEM part, so in that sense it's not 100% accurate. Unfortunately, I learned this after my parts were completed. For those that don't know, there are three mounting posts on each taillight bar. The two posts on each end are more than sufficient to secure the bars in place. I wont be re-producing any more sets with longer center posts.

My offer still stands to you, George. If you think you can source better parts, I'll happily refund your money when I've received my parts back.   

Edited by Randalla

Thanks Randy,

Can you confirm the center stalk is long enough to get the retainer / push ring onto? I agree the outer 2 should be enough to attach the trim to the lens, what is probably the bigger issue is that the longer center pin is used to help hold the lens and housing together, in the event that the glue fails (for whatever reason that might be).

If it's not long enough I'll need to come up with another solution, perhaps some kind of plastic glue or adhesive would be suitable to extend the middle pin?

I used these after grinding down the sides so they would fit.  Bought them at a chain hardware store.  I didn't buy new trim, just polished up a set but ran into that same problem after I separated the lense from the body.  Just an FYI.  :)

post-24724-14150829815101_thumb.jpg
post-24724-14150829813788_thumb.jpg
post-24724-14150829811677_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this