IGNORED

Couple 240 Brake Questions

metalmonkey47

Hey guys, so getting winter down south here, and I've decided the brakes should be my main focus on my Z before the weather turns to crap. My brakes haven't been the 'best' since driving the car. I find that unless I pull the parking brake lever up a notch or two, the brakes seem to be really weak. 

I've already replaced the front calipers with remans, replaced the master with a BRAND NEW (non reman) 7/8's master, and now I'm getting to the rear brakes. The wheel cylinders are leaking slightly so i figure that's where my issue lies. 

At this point I suppose it makes sense to mention I've already adjusted the rear brakes tight. 

Anyways, I did some research and found that there seem to be a change in the wheel cylinders halfway through the 240's production and I just want to clear a few things up before I go ahead and rebuild the wheel cylinders. 

I bought two bendix rebuild kits (parts stamped Tokico Japan) but was not aware of the difference. Although it seems minor and something to do with the backing plate/brake line angle or something that I don't recall 100%, can anyone confirm that the bore size is the same, and the seals/dust boots didn't change? I really don't want to take this apart before making sure I have the right parts. 

Also, is it worth honing the bores on the wheel cylinders during rebuild? 

Nevermind, figured it out! My kit was incorrect, although like I figured the only change was the dust cover for the backing plate. The rest went in just fine. 

Happy to say there was no pitting in the bores whatsoever so it went together just fine and doesn't leak.  B) I'll share some before/after pictures for the photo junkies here. 

Hi Metalmonkey47,

Glad to see your brakes comming together.

Wanted to ask what the part # is for the cylinder kit, and where you purchased them?

I'm having a heck of a time finding the proper kit for my 3/71. So far I've ordered from 3 main suppliers with no luck.

Thanks,

Eric

Yakhopper, I purchased them from a member on here. 

They are Bendix # 66673, but all the large seals were stamped Tokico Japan. They are still availible on Ebay and on Rock Auto. Seems like a great quality seal too. 

Turns out after doing some research, they're 280Z rebuild kits. All of the seals are the same, except the backing plate dust boot. 

Edit: 

RAYBESTOS Part # WK816

Thanks,

will look at these in the am.

Can't believe it's this hard to find the proper kit. I ordered from 3 sites, and 2 called back offering a refund because their inventory was incorrect and they had 0. Still holding out for the 3rd.

Anyways, thanks for the info,

Eric

;0)

• 2 weeks later...