IGNORED

Tokico Coil Springs - Is this right??

Dr_rich

I just installed a set of Tokico 5020F Coil Springs and the attached pic is of the front driver's side installed on my 73 240Z.

This doesn't look right to me, as I thought there should be more travel than this. Does this look correct?

Any clarification with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

post-7739-1415081692367_thumb.jpg

I believe the rear spings on these are a bit longer than the fronts at least that is so on my 77. It looks as if you have put the rear sping on the front. Most say you don't even need a spring compressor to put the fronts on. That was the way it was with my Eibachs. I count 12 coils and the fronts only have 8. There is a pic in the technical section where blue put up how to replace your struts. Here is a pic from that section. Yours is really tight, must have been tough to get them on.

post-23212-14150816924156_thumb.jpg

This is a common problem with Tokico springs for the 240: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/55577-tokico-suspension-problem-suspension-techniques-warning-to-buyers/ . Several people have recommended using 280 springs and cutting the like this: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/88025-installing-tokico-280z-hp-springs-in-a-240z/

I see where the 240's are different, but he still has at least 11 -12 turns of the coil. Looking at Blue's and my Eibachs there are at least three less coils and I did not nor do I believe Blue cut any out. With the car on the ground my springs have at least 1" of separation.

I counted the turns of my original springs and there were 10 1/2 on the rear and 11 1/2 on the front. The additional coil on the front was surprising as this is exactly opposite on the Eibachs, that is the rear has an addtional turn so is a longer spring. My original springs were taller in the front.

Do the rear spings on your Tokicos have fewer coils that what you put on the front?

post-23212-14150816924297_thumb.jpg

The 5020-F springs are progressive and are design to coil bind the top 3 or 5 coils. The gaps in the remaining coils give 1.5" to 2" of bump travel before coil bind. Ideally you're on the bump stop before then but most 40+ year bump stops are rotted away and few people replace them when installing new springs. The Tokico HP 280Z springs are a better choice for any any S30.

We have Tokico springs on our 73. I do not recall the part number but they are whatever Tokico sells as a 240Z spring for the early 1973 model. All are loose at full droop with about 1/2" or so of gap between the spring and the spring seats. With the car on the ground (at rest) there is only about 1 1/2" of bump travel to the bump stops.

Hmmm... Thanks guys for all of the input and info.

A few years ago, I bought front and rear coils, and front and rear sway bars from a buddy of mine from a parts car he had just aquired.

All of the components were factory-painted yellow. I was told that they were all parts for a vintage BRE stage I kit (At least that what he was told by the PO).

My understanding now is that they are probably Suspension Techniques. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is a pic of the driver side coil that I pulled out to install the Tokico coils...(Please excuse the dirt caked on the spring)

IMAG0127.jpg

Please Note: My mechanic and I had cut a coil and a half (If memory serves me right) from the coils in front.

Also interesting, I measured the ride height before and after I installed the Tokico coils in the front, and it was within 1/4" of each other.

The 5020-F springs are progressive and are design to coil bind the top 3 or 5 coils. The gaps in the remaining coils give 1.5" to 2" of bump travel before coil bind. Ideally you're on the bump stop before then but most 40+ year bump stops are rotted away and few people replace them when installing new springs. The Tokico HP 280Z springs are a better choice for any any S30.

Theoretically. I replaced my 5020-Fs with the 280z springs per your write-up. The 5020-Fs gave an incredibly harsh ride, and I am not the only one with that experience. The car would crash over abrupt bumps; it felt and sounded as though the car was hit with a massive hammer. I cringed everytime I heard/felt it.

When I switched over to the 280z springs, it was a night and day difference.