Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pleadingbark

My first Z!

27 posts in this topic

This past weekend I picked up this:

IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0791.jpg

Here she is all loaded up and ready to goto her new home.

IMAG0792.jpg

Sitting at my friends shop. Car had not been started in 10 years. With in 20min of having it we had it running somewhat. Pretty glorious if you ask me. Going to have the carbs rebuilt.

Its a 71 series 1, has either 160k or 60k on it. Factory A/C car, all original and everything works on it!! Im really excited and amped to do this car, the rust on it isnt bad at all with the worst being a dime size hole in the passenger front floor board. The car was a GA car its whole life, I even have the original 40yr old keys and original title!!! It should be a fun, albeit expensive project.

Edit: Got it into my garage last night, the rear carb is just gummed shut, probably why it wasnt pleased about running. Getting it situated today. Found a forsale flyer though for the car that really put it into perspective for me, the car has 69,000 original miles and is all original. Im not sure what to do at this point.

Welcome. Consider dropping by the meetings for the Georgia Z Club. You can get the details at the link below. Eddie Radatz owns a shop that specializes in S30, S130 & Z31s, and he is a regular at the meetings.

As for what to do first, I suggest taking care of the safety items: brakes, tires, body inspection for rust, etc. That way you can determine if you want to drive it or do a tear down & restore.

If you want to fix it up, I suggest that you determine what you want the car to be when you finish. After that, figure out the work and parts to get there. Follow that with making a budget and comparing that to the first two. Adjust your goals if necessary. Then get the parts and start working.

Yeah Eddie's shop is about 5 miles from me, going to try to get it running myself though before I drop it off somewhere though. The back carb was gummed shut so Im thinking that was part of its not wanting to start reason....

Then you're probably not living too far away from Jamie, aka KAL7467. He's working on a 71 of similar vintage to yours. You might want to drop him a PM.

You might want to make sure you have oil in your carbs. Don't be afraid to take off the dome and inspect the carb closely. Read the FSM on carbs. The 72 will work for that. Hopefully that will guide you to get it working.

Hooray!!! Another Series 1 identified and into some caring hands. Enjoy The Ride!

Be sure to share your VIN and more pictures with us. As others have said, go slowly and build a manageable plan for your work - a modest bite at a time. Get lots of pictures as you take things apart.

Jim

That's a great find - and look at the original hubcaps. Starting with a decent original and complete car can make the restoration a smoother process.

ID: 9   Posted (edited)

Welcome! Get ready for a great ride!

If you use Motorsport Auto for parts remember we get a club discount on most parts - be sure to search and find out how to get the discount - it can add up in a hurry.

Edited by Travel'n Man

Welcome! Get ready for a great ride!

If you use Motorsport Auto for parts remember we get a club discount on most parts - be sure to search and find out how to get the discount - it can add up in a hurry.

Yeah Im noticing the little stuff is getting expensive quick. I guess replacing all the rubber lines though on a car would do that.

3012968, is that old or new or the middle of production? Build date was 10/70

The full VIN would be HLS30-12968, meaning a fairly early example. There were some small changes made around VIN 21000, so 240Zs made before then are considered the "early" ones.

Why when I went to register it does the state of GA think its a 1970? The registration papers I received say that.....

Why when I went to register it does the state of GA think its a 1970? The registration papers I received say that.....

Not sure, probably a mistake. It should be registered as a '71, considering it was manufactured after August.

Had it up forsale for 3 weeks. Told myself if no-one bought it mod time. Heres where were at as of this weekend:

315811_669498917146_50502495_33752928_60718813_n.jpg

Have my front lip to put on. Going to buy an extra air cleaner to hack up to make little velocity stacks. Pulled all the a/c stuff and smog stuff off the car. Looking to grab some coilovers also for it today or tomorrow. Also rolled 69,700 miles this weekend. Im enjoying the hell out of it though!

I saw your car on Craigslist. You might just be glad you're keeping it. Come by the Georgia Z Club meeting. The next one is November 3. You don't have to be a memeber to drop in on the meetings.

I saw your car on Craigslist. You might just be glad you're keeping it. Come by the Georgia Z Club meeting. The next one is November 3. You don't have to be a memeber to drop in on the meetings.

Yeah, I told myself if it didnt sell for 3 weeks I was keeping it and modding. Im honestly very happy it didnt sell. I have a blast with the car, even though it acts like a little baby from time to time.

God I love this car so much, I can see why you all like these things so darn much! I've been going pretty non-stop with it getting it to where I want it. I've sharpied the interior trim silver, put new emblems on the hatch with new vents and generally did some tidying up on the interior. At this point also EVERYTHING in the cooling system has been replaced and is 2011 brand new with regards to fan clutch, radiator, hoses, water pump, etc. Did some gauge rewiring and replaced a few light bulbs while I was at it that were burned out. Got a ton of stuff for free from a friend for it also, new door seals, entire engine seal kit, side skirts, a wing and skid plate thing for under the front (I think its a drip pan or something). Future plans are going to be triple carbs (for the sound alone) and prob a cam. Need to get seats redone on the driverside and order a carpet kit and it will be up to snuff.

317036_676591508536_50502495_33804610_636775288_n.jpg

378737_676591768016_50502495_33804612_1169752648_n.jpg

377864_676592097356_50502495_33804614_1676224745_n.jpg

Lovin' it!

Do you mind if I ask what size wheels / tires combo you are running?

Are those Hayashi's or Rotas?

Lovin' it!

Do you mind if I ask what size wheels / tires combo you are running?

Are those Hayashi's or Rotas?

15x9 0 witha 205/50/15, rotas.

Triple webers are on and installed. Debating about putting on a header though.

376428_682103722016_50502495_33838232_797730714_n.jpg

This is Jeremy, one of the guys that test drove your car in front of the dog salon.

Which coilovers did you use? The stance looks amazing.

526764_417703288274416_1766184861_n.jpg

543245_417703644941047_1709098230_n.jpg

599023_417706701607408_1599232784_n.jpg

Also have my 1970 tag on it, but its not pictured. Has an L28 w/ 5spd in it now and a new clutch/flywheel (350z setup).