IGNORED

Stainless steel header??

ezzzzzzz

As I said my headers have been on for 3 years with no problem of any sort. Neither rust nor discoloration and that's in a high humidity open Florida garage. The company that did mine also coated the inside.

Doesn't SS hold heat longer that regular steel. That was one of the reasons I went with my current set. Is that not ture?

It is possible on some headers that clearance is insufficient for the steering linkage. This linkage passes under the motor mount from rack to column. Every header must be designed to clear the motor mount. Only if the primary pipes extend too far out from the head/block should there be an issue. Like the BRE header (designed with a nice sweep but clearing the steering linkage)some others may be designed to smooth the transistion from head to collector with a larger radius. That could be an issue in LHD Z's. Someone with Fujitsubo or such headers in a RHD Z could take basic measurements off their engine (distance of outside edge of primary tubes to frame rail from rear of motor mount going back towards firewall every inch/centimeter as well as height above frame rail at each point). It could then readily be determined if the steering is cleared on a LHD Z using these headers.

Anyone know if MSA's 6 into 1 header ceramic coated do they coat the inside? and if this header is crap, where can I find one for about the same price, ie. $150 for 6 into 1 mandrel bent with inside/outside ceramic coated..ie about $150-200? Anyone vouch for the bake it yourself ceramic coatings?

Someone with Fujitsubo or such headers in a RHD Z could take basic measurements off their engine (distance of outside edge of primary tubes to frame rail from rear of motor mount going back towards firewall every inch/centimeter as well as height above frame rail at each point). It could then readily be determined if the steering is cleared on a LHD Z using these headers.

I would do this for you guys - but my car still does not have the suspension or engine in so I can't test fit (and about 6 month off that stage). However as the header is out I could take measurements now and then you can work with these to see if they will work with a LHD car? I will take a look tonight and post all the info (will try and include a pic showing were the measurements were taken/between etc)

Coated headers are sprayed with a gun and then baked to cure. No one to my knowledge is capable of spraying completely through the interior passages. It is typically sprayed as far in as possible/reasonable. Most of the paints (JetHot, HPC, etc.) are only about .002" thick. The only coating I would consider today is provided by Swaintech. It is a true ceramic coating (not paint) with an average thickness of .015". It is still not applied throughout as it is not really possible. However, this coating (only in white) is as effective thermal barrier as is probably available in the market.

Okay took some measurement before I placed the header in the roof for storage (until the car is ready for them to be installed). Also I was lucky enough to see a simular head installed in a 240z the other day (just not a stainless version, I will visit the shop again today and take some measuments from this car)

I have a feeling that there might be issues as the headers are wide. a 1 foot wide. Anyway here are pics with measurements.

post-7025-14150796541933_thumb.jpg

post-7025-14150796542415_thumb.jpg

Wasn't the NISSAN race header that was available in the late 70's early 80's here in the US the same design? I thought that they made two different models, one similar to the MSA 6 into 2 and one like "NZeder's"? Both of them fit LHD Zeds. History buffs anyone? HELP

Wasn't the NISSAN race header that was available in the late 70's early 80's here in the US the same design? I thought that they made two different models, one similar to the MSA 6 into 2 and one like "NZeder's"? Both of them fit LHD Zeds. History buffs anyone? HELP

I think the other header I spotted on the zed the other day is the Nissan race header copy (not stainless like they were originally - hell the Fujitsubo I have looks the same as the Nissan option you never know they might have been the supplier to Nissan all those years ago - if you might be right they might work - I will visit my brothers shop today to see if the customers Zed is still there that has this type of header installed and take some measurements for you all (don't have a digital camera with me so can't get any pics - sorry)

Okay, when into my brothers shop and had a good look at the 240z with these style headers already installed (also made me climb back into the roof to check the measurements I took the other day - I did not measure the width from the head flange correctly - the first measurement was incorrectly taken on a downward angle = making it too long. So attached is the corrected measurements)

One the 240z there is 14cm between the firewall and the back of the #6 runner. There is also 14cm between the #3 and the engine mount (the outside of the metal bracket that connects to the block and then to the rubber mount). I had a good look at were I think the LHD steering rod would go and if it is anything like the RHD cars (that the first coupling is very close to the firewall and just a little wider than the rail - then runs just under the engine mount to the rack) then I would say this header should work on a LHD car :)

Also the #6 runner runs very close to the TC rod mounting point with only a few mm clearance - from this end running upto the #6 exhaust port the runner does tapper towards the block slightly.

Maybe it would be good to a google/look at Japanese sites to see if any of the LHD zed there are using this type of header (a number of LHD seem to get imported into Japan for some reason)

post-7025-14150796546396_thumb.jpg

There was at one time a while back, 2 or 3 individuals that started a small company from a group on zdriver.com that used to sell the nissan style race headers.

I cannot recall the companies name at this time but they were pretty inexpensive at the time for around 385 american for the ss steel headers. The construction and quality was excellent