IGNORED

DATSUN 240Z Euro Spec. Springs???

Carl Beck

Yes - both struts have the... tubes for the Halda Drives - if you say that's what they are - I've not seen them on anything else, can you tell us more about them?... I can find no indication from pictures taken in the car (at least so far) - that they were used for Baja nor the Mexican 1000. They certainly wouldn't have been needed for the road racing to the car was put to later..

Bit late with this reply, but maybe better late than never?

The Halda drive tubes were fitted to the Works front struts specifically to drive the Halda units fitted to the Works rally cars.

Measuring distances covered was ( still is ) extremely important in stage rallying, and the navigator in a rally car would certainly not want to rely on the readings from a stock mileometer that took its readings from the transmission - for obvious reasons ( wheelspin........ ).

Nissan's Works rally cars were usually fitted with two Halda Tripmaster units - with drive taken from each of the front wheels. A drive cable was fitted into a specially-modified front wheel bearing cap, with the inner cable passing though the front spindle and feeding though the hard tube which was attached to the rear of the strut. The normal split pin on the front bearing was deleted and a tab washer used instead.

A picture saves a thousand words, so here are some pics of Works setups to illustrate:

post-2116-14150795684099_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795684292_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795684455_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795684878_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795685196_thumb.jpg

Hi Zedrally,

I'm still awake ( and working..... :rolleyes: ). No rest for the wicked.....

The dash / Halda pics I posted were from two different cars; the '71 Safari Rally winner, and Aaltonen's '72 Monte Carlo car. One RHD and one LHD.

Halda positioning seems to have been different in just about every single Works car!..... The personal choice of the navigator who first used the car might have been a factor ( although the main Halda units were usually fitted in Japan ) but they seem to have moved about a lot. Generally speaking, one was usually sited in front of the gear lever and the second either on the glovebox door or on the top of the dash.

Here's a couple of extra pics of the 'accountants' side on the '71 Safari Rally winning car. Dig that extra under dash map shelf made from a plastic can.....

post-2116-14150795687683_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795688024_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alan,

as always one photo begs another question..

I noticed what appears to be a moulded opening in the dash above the nav light. Its certainly been moulded into the dash, rather than a cut & bash type of operation.

Any idea of what it's for?

Somehow I don't think it's for a Cigarette lighter?

MOM

...I noticed what appears to be a moulded opening in the dash above the nav light. Its certainly been moulded into the dash, rather than a cut & bash type of operation.

Any idea of what it's for?

Somehow I don't think it's for a Cigarette lighter?

MOM

You mean in the two last photos ( "71 Saf." )?

Surely you are looking at the original glovebox door knob opening, which is a moulded recess in the dash panel - same as all stock showroom models?

Or are you seeing something that I'm not?

Hi Alan (everyone):

Far better late... as this project is not going to be done any time soon.

Great pictures and great information - I appreciate your efforts. They answer a number of questions for me about the sit up on my Z. They look almost exactly like the struts etc. that I have on the car.

Of course now I'll have to go find out how/where BRE obtained these struts.

Also surprising to see that the struts you pictured, also had adjustable spring perches.

The restoration project on the BRE Baja Z is moving along.. although a bit slowly. The engine is now at Sunbelt Performance Engines for a complete refresh... and I still have to have the 26 gallon fuel tank/fuel cell to be reproduced... I'll be removing the entire rear suspension next, so we may find some more information about this set-up when/if I can read the labels on them as well.

regards,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com