IGNORED

window roller guides leaving streaks on glass

jeremy93ls

I bought a pair of window roller guides from zcardepot last year and finally got around to installing them. These attach to the inside top edge of the door underneath the door trim piece and keep a little pressure on the window glass so it doesn't wobble back/forth as the door is closed with the window down. The previous owner had busted the passenger window by slamming the door with the window down years ago, so I figure this would maybe prevent that from happening again.

The problem is they leave a streak on the glass after rolling it up/down. I washed the rubber with soapy water, then even tried some diluted degreaser, but it still leaves streaks after a few times. I contacted zcardepot and they said they had never heard of such a problem and offered a refund/store credit. 

What can I do to keep these things from streaking the door glass?

window roller guide.PNG

Have you tried cleaning the glass. Maybe the roller is picking up or smudging a film that is already on the glass. It's hard to keep the glass clean here. Takes a lot of scrubbing to get rid of the film on the inside of my windows.

Edited by rcb280z

The glass is super clean. With the chrome trim piece removed from the door, you can easily watch it roll along the glass like it should.

Dave, they're simple to install. The door trim strip holds them in place. I hesitated to spend $40 each, but saw it as preventative maintenance.

I'll soak them in soapy water again and maybe try some rain-x on the glass. That might help prevent streaking (or make it worse, ha)

Same thing happened when I got a pair, the passenger side left a skid mark on the window from the roller was not turning.  Maybe there're was too much pressure on it from pressing on the glass or there was an imperfection where the roller attached to the hinge.  I had to lube  the hinges of the roller and it eventually worked itself out.  However, the driver side roller gave up the ghost in about a years time.  It disintegrated at the inside plastic roller.  I'm glad they are available but I'm not exactly sold on the quality.