IGNORED

Datsun 280zx won’t start

Jimmyb

Yup. Pretty sure those are it. Heck I may be wrong which is why it is good to go by the FSM. I'm going from memory and sometimes it's not great! LOL  

And I'm working on 3 cars at the same time. So stoked I got my 300zxt parts car running today. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JSM said:

May I suggest that you take a little bit and read that link above from Xenon I posted. 

Im pretty sure based on what you've done so far your injectors are not firing. A noid light would confirm. 

Yes those are the fusible links. The relays are by the battery or behind it under a black plastic cover. That section I posted should have all that info. 

Will do! And I will also try a noid light. Thank you very much for the help, I will keep you updated. And also congratz to getting your 300zxt running! :)

6 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

JSM might be talking about this on second read. IMG_20171107_163848.jpegIMG_20171107_163950.jpeg

Thanks for this! I had found the fusebox but totally missed that plastic cover so that's great :)

From what I've read on the web, the green one is the fuel pump relay right? That would make the metal one the relay for the EFI if I'm not mistaking.

I will take a quick look tonight, then I'm going to London for the weekend so it might take a while for an update.

Thanks guys!

/ Jimmy

And I'm not sure what your critter problem is  in your area, but Rats had a field day with my wiring.  Don't rule it out since it's been sitting since 93.  I think I soldered /repaired / replaced some 25+ wires and still have more to go.

The ECU is very sensitive the its signal from the coil negative post to the pin on the harness at the ECU.  You need to confirm that that path is clean and useful, as was said several times above.

Could be that engine started on CSV fuel, which turns off when the engine is started, or when the valve gets hot from its internal heater.

I've found also, that spark can be visible outside the cylinder, during a test, but too weak to start the engine.  In my case, starting fluid would start it but it wouldn't light up on gasoline.

You might also have a giant vacuum leak.

"Nothing" doesn't tell much.  No spark, no change in timing, no engine start....?  The answer often lies in the tiny details.  The FSM Electrical chapter probably shows where all of the relays and fuses are.

18 hours ago, Jimmyb said:

I also tried setting the timing by turning the distrubator, I got nothing.

• Like 1

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about the EFI system in the 280zx.  But, I will guess it is manufactured by Bosch.  With that said, does the system utilize a crank position sensor?  If so, I would check the CPS first and foremost.  A failed CPS will definitely caused a no start condition with the occasional attempt at firing.  I suspect that apply voltage to an injector is simple bypassing the function of the CPS and injecting fuel into the cylinder constantly...if spark, it has to fire.

FWIW, hope it helps.  BTW, although I own a carbureted 240z, I own or have owned a lot of current and vintage BMW's which when afflicted with a no start condition have almost always been the result of a failed CPS or camshaft position sensor (assuming fuel pressure is present).  Heck, my B-I-L even had the same problem with his Testarossa.  He was showing me the Ferrari one day and it would not start...tried, but would not catch.  I immediately searched for and found the CPS wiring.  A quick unplug and reconnect of the CPS connection block and the engine fired right up.  And no, I did not ask my B-I-L for $500 for the repair :)

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, David F said:

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about the EFI system in the 280zx.  But, I will guess it is manufactured by Bosch.  With that said, does the system utilize a crank position sensor?  If so, I would check the CPS first and foremost.  A failed CPS will definitely caused a no start condition with the occasional attempt at firing.  I suspect that apply voltage to an injector is simple bypassing the function of the CPS and injecting fuel into the cylinder constantly...if spark, it has to fire.

FWIW, hope it helps.  BTW, although I own a carbureted 240z, I own or have owned a lot of current and vintage BMW's which when afflicted with a no start condition have almost always been the result of a failed CPS or camshaft position sensor (assuming fuel pressure is present).  Heck, my B-I-L even had the same problem with his Testarossa.  He was showing me the Ferrari one day and it would not start...tried, but would not catch.  I immediately searched for and found the CPS wiring.  A quick unplug and reconnect of the CPS connection block and the engine fired right up.  And no, I did not ask my B-I-L for $500 for the repair :)

Good luck!

Ah for us ignorant folks, what's a "B-I-L"? 

I was going.. Bimbos I Like, Babes I Lust, Buddy I Lust, Boys I Love, Budget I Long for...   :)   Darn acronyms!

12 hours ago, Jimmyb said:
20 hours ago, JSM said:

May I suggest that you take a little bit and read that link above from Xenon I posted. 

Im pretty sure based on what you've done so far your injectors are not firing. A noid light would confirm. 

Yes those are the fusible links. The relays are by the battery or behind it under a black plastic cover. That section I posted should have all that info. 

Will do!

We need more "do" jimmyb.  Dave F could do some browsing too.  There's no CPS on the NA models.

Edited by Zed Head