IGNORED

Early and Late 240Z Bumper Differences

leeboat

I've searched the forums and can't find the exact answer.

I have a '73 240 with good bumpers but really like the way the earlier bumpers fit closer to the body. What are the differences in the bumpers from '70-'72 and '73? The rear bumpers look to be the same as far as I can tell (not having a '70-'72 to compare to). The fronts look different in at least the mounting hardware and over-riders.

Any info would be appreciated.

Leeboat

(Smyrna, GA)

The front bumper on a '73 has an additional spacer and heavier mounting brackets. I believe the rear bumpers are the same.

You can mount an early 70-73 bumper on a '73, by using the earlier mounting brackets. The threaded holes for the early brackets are still manufactured into the body on the '73 model. I did it with my first Z and prefer the look to the '73 5 MPH impact bumper.

Marty

Yes, but is the physical bumper the same? Could I use the earlier brackets on the bumper that I have now and move it closer to the body as on an earlier model 240Z?

Leeboat

Sorry, but it's been 20 years since I have seen a '73 bumper. I would think that they would have to bee different, otherwise the spacer for the '73 would not fit.

The '73 bumper bar is a different part - thicker, heavier and reinforced. The bumper guards are not the same either, I think because the bumper is physically bigger. I'm pretty certain that you'll need to use the '70-72 bumper to accomplish this change.

I own 2 '73s. The bumpers are different than earlier, as all have correctly reported. In my effort to move towards the Euro look on the Silver, I used the rear bumper and had the holes welded up and re-chromed. The front, I bought a '70-'72 Euro bumper. The back won't be exactly the same, but the chromer told me it was an easier project than the '72 rear bumper he had previously done. Tough to weld when they are thin to begin with and a little hidden rust behind the bracket inside the bumper.

Just to let you know, I updated the bumpers on my 73 to the 70-72 European style bumpers (The European bumpers have no provisions for the rubber strips). I first ordered mine from MSA and they are fairly expensive. They weren't listed on their web site, but when I called they were available. The front worked out great with a fairly decent chrome job and a good fit when using the 70-72 brackets. The rear was a different story. MSA worked with me, but after three different try's I finally had to cancel the order. The chrome wasn't too good (thin and incomplete coverage) and they had pretty severe gouges in the chrome. I could have overlooked the imperfections, but the price was just too steep for me to do that.

I wound up getting the rears off eBay, and I'm very happy with the results. So if you want to go this route be prepared to pay a hefty price and be careful to check the quality of your parts.

I have a '73 and have also early bumpers on the front with the early mounting. The front bumper is a re chrome but the quality is only passable. I personally don't like the rubber so I used stainless steel carriage bolts and polished the heads . They merely look like bumper mounting hardware . At least unless you know 240s . Try and remove the filler from your front bumper and remove the '73 shock mounts . Hold the bumper up and see how it fits when you hold it close . I have a '73 bumper and I have done this and to me it looks like the profile is vary close if not the same . The part numbers would be different because it is drilled for the filler . If it fits the front of the car especially on the ends you are home free . Just get a set of 240 mounts. Good luck . Let us know what you find . Gary