IGNORED

Looking for a set of Sumitomo calipers MK63

JLPurcell

28 minutes ago, oemz said:

I started following these yesterday, I set up with a proxy bidder and made a deposit but it still will not let me bid on them. I will continue to try but in the meantime I know someone has  a set here in the US. Thanks JLP

Hi Jerry, seems to me this one is original Sumitomo licenced MK63  ,http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m188011442

The seller says they are for solid disc roter . This means it is easy , just replace and install (need to cut baffle plate little bit though).

The other one is aftermarket( not Sumitomo licenced) , so the price is not high for the ''buy it now'' . I recomend stay away from this aftermarket , you will find a good used Sumitomo one just adding little more money.This one is for ventilated disc roter.

I think there are several versions of MK63 (Sumitomo logo on it )

#1 sold by Nissan/Datsun as a sports option for S30 from late 1969 

#2 original equipment for Nissan President (big saloon for excutives) ,a bleeder pipe is pointing outer , so you may have a 15 inc. wheel or a spacer to avoid scraching the wheel.

#3 sold by NISMO (discontinued in 2008)

#4 sold by Victory 50 or some owners clubs after NISMO discotinued, manufactured by the same company which was making for NISMO. The last batches are painted silver.

Still overhall kits are availavle, 

https://www.vintagecraft-e-za.com/販売のページ/室内パーツ/mk63ダストブーツリテーナー/

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats

2 hours ago, kats said:

Hi Jerry, seems to me this one is original Sumitomo licenced MK63  ,http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m188011442

The seller says they are for solid disc roter . This means it is easy , just replace and install (need to cut baffle plate little bit though).

The other one is aftermarket( not Sumitomo licenced) , so the price is not high for the ''buy it now'' . I recomend stay away from this aftermarket , you will find a good used Sumitomo one just adding little more money.This one is for ventilated disc roter.

I think there are several versions of MK63 (Sumitomo logo on it )

#1 sold by Nissan/Datsun as a sports option for S30 from late 1969 

#2 original equipment for Nissan President (big saloon for excutives) ,a bleeder pipe is pointing outer , so you may have a 15 inc. wheel or a spacer to avoid scraching the wheel.

#3 sold by NISMO (discontinued in 2008)

#4 sold by Victory 50 or some owners clubs after NISMO discotinued, manufactured by the same company which was making for NISMO. The last batches are painted silver.

Still overhall kits are availavle, 

https://www.vintagecraft-e-za.com/販売のページ/室内パーツ/mk63ダストブーツリテーナー/

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Kats, I have been trying to bid on the first but after making a 20,000 yen deposit through a proxy biding company (fromjapan.co) it will still not let me bid on any of the MK63 yahoo japan auctions. I had a set of these on the front of my 1970 race Z. Vin# HLS30 00029 back in the day. They ended up on the rear after we updated the car for IMSA in the early 80's. I contacted the current owner to see if he would sell them back, but have not heard back from him. It is very difficult to bid on auctions in Japan. 

Did you use the sniper bid option by any chance? If so, it wont show a bid until near the end of the auction.

I've used fromjapan.co personally and have had good luck with them.

You can email them and they are pretty good at replying back.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:22 AM, JLPurcell said:

I started following these yesterday, I set up with a proxy bidder and made a deposit but it still will not let me bid on them. I will continue to try but in the meantime I know someone has  a set here in the US. Thanks JLP

Probably rejected your bid because of the brake fluid.  It's considered hazmat and cannot be shipped by air.  I'm going over in june and can bring them back in a suitcase if they're impossible to find here. 

9 minutes ago, hr369 said:

Probably rejected your bid because of the brake fluid.  It's considered hazmat and cannot be shipped by air.  I'm going over in june and can bring them back in a suitcase if they're impossible to find here. 

Thanks for the offer, I may have to take you up on it. I will just have to buy rebuild kits on Yahoo Japan and try and find the MK63 elsewhere at this time. Thanks again. jlp

Jerry - given both the rarity and price do you plan on putting some serious miles on these calipers? I guess the better question would be will you drive your Z less if you install them?

I was told that a Toyota SW could be massaged, by that I mean machined, to look very much like an FIA caliper. Vintage racers might have done this.

You could swap the real ones in for a show, etc.

Edited by gnosez