IGNORED

Progress on rust repairs

240dkw

That looks fantastic!

Not sure, I do have a plastic one as well. As with everything else there seems to be conflicting opinions as to is better.

I don't think I've heard anyone say the metal one it "better".

However, an original restoration with an attention for detail would call for a metal one. I guess it depends on your goal with the car.

Edited by ninjazombiemaster

I guess better is the wrong word, what I meant is that there some people that think the metal one is just as good as the plastic one. That there is not a lot to be gained by using the plastic over the metal. The car is going to be as stock as possible.

I guess better is the wrong word, what I meant is that there some people that think the metal one is just as good as the plastic one. That there is not a lot to be gained by using the plastic over the metal. The car is going to be as stock as possible.

Oh, I see. I'm sure the plastic has minimal advantages in that it is lighter weight. But looking at the photos of your engine - the metal one looks just right. I'm really excited to see this all come together.

Have been trying to decide what to do to the gas tanks for a while. It is quite rusty inside and very beat up on the bottom. As this car has none of the emissions stuff the tank has a few less connections on it and I want to reuse it. So, I decided to cut it open, clean it up, fix the dents and weld it back together. Then I will coat the inside and paint the outside. Here a photos of it opened up and after sandblasting.

post-15138-14150825445541_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150825446164_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150825446791_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150825447425_thumb.jpg

Thats great before and after shots on the tank. Never seen a Z tank on the inside. Keep em coming.

I had to cut a tank open on a Holden Monaro years ago because the baffle crack off and broke the fuel pick-up. It took some toubleshooting to fique that one out. It had what they called a Bathurst tank and I couldn't find another one.

Keep the photos coming. Eccellent thread

Chas

Re: Metal Fan

This is a great thread and your work is outstanding. That said, I feel obliged to comment on your metal fan.

I got lucky earlier this summer when my metal fan started to fail. It made a couple of raspy noises under acceleration which took a little exploring to source. My first thought was to keep it original and replace it with another original (new/refurbished) fan clutch, but all I could source was a used one. Of note, on another thread, Carl Beck, noted that he had seen six metal fan failures and the horrid damage that resulted.

So, the bottom line is unless you are totally comfortable with the old metal fan, as is, then replacing it with the newer plastic type might be good preventative medicine. Plastic doesn't look nearly as retro, but after a couple of months you move on.

Plastic fans and their fan clutch are readily available both new (MSA, etc) and used (ebay).

Cheers,

George

It would be interesting to fit the float and take some measurements.

It would also be nice to know how high the pick-up is above the tank bottom.

Sorry, Blue it was tacked back together before I saw your post. Ran two very heavy beads, now to figure out how to test for pin holes or just use the tank coating to do the final seal.

post-15138-14150825487561_thumb.jpg

Re: Metal Fan

This is a great thread and your work is outstanding. That said, I feel obliged to comment on your metal fan.

I got lucky earlier this summer when my metal fan started to fail. It made a couple of raspy noises under acceleration which took a little exploring to source. My first thought was to keep it original and replace it with another original (new/refurbished) fan clutch, but all I could source was a used one. Of note, on another thread, Carl Beck, noted that he had seen six metal fan failures and the horrid damage that resulted.

So, the bottom line is unless you are totally comfortable with the old metal fan, as is, then replacing it with the newer plastic type might be good preventative medicine. Plastic doesn't look nearly as retro, but after a couple of months you move on.

Plastic fans and their fan clutch are readily available both new (MSA, etc) and used (ebay).

Cheers,

George

I wonder what failed on the ones Carl saw. Blade came off, clutch exploded? I have no doubt that a metal fan will do more damage than a plastic on when it starts free spinning inside the engine bay. I am just not understanding what failed? If a clutch jammed up would it be enough to make the waterpump break? Or the pressed fit hub come apart? I have another post showing what I think is what the early waterpumps looked like. I can see one of them failing and breaking apart and letting the fan go for a ride.