IGNORED

Exhaust manifold finish

swflaz

Regarding the manifold finish survey hls30 ran back in sept: the jet hot process got a lot of votes. My question is whether that could be considered "stock" in an original car show. Looks great. "Real" original would seem to be the rusty crusty cast iron.

Good question for someone with judging experience. I know people who have used the ceramic coating process and then painted over with an airbrush to come up with a realistic look. You are right, the cast iron pieces weren't too pretty straight from the factory.

My thought is the ZCCA rules in the stock class are after fit and finish as it would have been right out of the factory, so the color of new cast iron would be correct-as long as it looked cast and not applied.

I am using Eastwoods stainless paint http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=399&itemType=PRODUCT even though I won't be in the stock class.

Will

I have had several conversation with a ZCCA judge regarding this topic. Honestly, there is a varying opinion on what is correct and also what is acceptable. A car that was awarded the Gold Medallion in Dallas had the exhaust manifold powder coated black. I do not think he lost any points as a result. Again based on my discussions with the judge. I did lose 2 points in Dallas from that same judge because my manifold was painted using Eastwood cast iron paint. So for this past years convention I took the manifold off and removed all the paint and rust and coated it using the Eastwood dressing (see picture). As you can see it turned out very nicely. I did not loose any points as a result of this. My discussion with the same judge in Daytona was that the powder coating was not originally done by Nissan. He commented that the powder coated finish did maintain a black appearance. I feel the dressing actually kept the roughness of the cast iron surface but protected it from rusting which more closely represented how it came off the assembly line. However, if you buy a new exhaust system from Nissan the pipes and muffler is now powder coated black.

Unfortunately this may all come down to who the judge is an how he interprets it! Good Luck.

e manifold.bmp

That sure looks like a realistic new, raw cast iron finish in the pic Zulaytr. I don't see how a judge could knock points for that. Really, what could be done any better? I wonder how that finish would hold up over time on a car that is regularly driven, subjected to heat cycles?

I stored these 340 exhaust manifolds after using POR 15 Manifold Grey on them about 6 years ago. Not as nice as the Eastwood dressing because it hides some of the raw detail and texture of the cast iron. They look darker in actuality (camera flash). I have used it on transmission cases as well and it is a nice look for that purpose and is still holding up well.

This company has been advertising quite a bit in all the musclecar magazines lately. I have used it on its normal applications but not on exhaust manifolds yet. I never thought to try it on manifolds but even after being on the truck for a year it still looks like original cast iron. Might be worth a look. http://www.slipplate.com/pdfs/SP-MuscleCar.pdf

[quote name=Zulaytr;243204) So for this past years convention I took the manifold off and removed all the paint and rust and coated it using the Eastwood dressing (see picture). However' date=' if you buy a new exhaust system from Nissan the pipes and muffler is now powder coated black.

Hi Bob,

Your manifold looks incredible. This, as well as getting a new loop pile carpet set, are next on my to-do list. Is the manifold dressing you used the Eastwood dressing shown in their online catalogue, referenced by Kenz240z above, on page 40, item #11171? I'll probably have Les do the carpets when I can find a correct pattern for the pieces that go behind the seats and under the black plastic tool and jack bins, but this is for another thread started Arne today.

I've been meaning to PM you about your win at the convention, and hope to do that shortly.

Dan