IGNORED

Vintage License Plates

TomoHawk

Here in Florida at alot of the car shows, they have vendors that sell the vintage plates. I've seen them on alot of very old show cars, like from the 30's & 40's. I do believe in Florida the car has to be at least 20 years old in order to put a vintage plate on. It would be cool to find the year AND state for our Z cars. Most of those old vintage plates are as ugly as the cars there on, but that's vintage I guess.

We used to have "Collector" plates. But they issued them to EVERY car that was 20 years or older. Many of the collector car people flew into a rage and the state dropped them. It was funny to drive down the road and see a rusted out, smoking 1972 Ford pick-up with a "Collector" plate.

In Texas we have a couple different options for cars classified as classics. We can run with the original plates (at least plates from the original year) or get new "Classic Auto" plates like the ones kmack has on his car (I think, I can not find a pic of them now). There is a place just south of me (actually a little more than 1/2 way between me and kmack) that deals in classic/collectable cars and they sell the plates there (I'm sure there are many other places that do also). Here's a link to their site, they always have a lot of nice cars to look at. Automania

I personally have never seen a Z in there but I did see a 280 on their website within the past few months. And they also do restoration work so they really know their stuff!

EDIT:

In fact the 280 is still on there, but it's a 2+2. :cry:

The state of Florida has almost 90 different types of plates. I think they should offer a "Collector" plate for vehicles that are worthy. You could have the year of you car along with the collector design. The cops are complaining about all our different plate styles. You can't tell where anyone is from anymore. To me that's nothing new in Florida, what with all the tourists. It's rare to see a genuine Florida tag anymore.LOL

Let me add to Zrush's comments - Hi zrush!

In Florida, an old plate that matches the year of the car has to be sent in and approved which is usually no big problem as long as the plate is in good shape. For 1970, the Florida plate was green and matches my paint color. Florida plates back then had a two digit and single letter prefix. The digits signified the county of registration (16 for Sarasota County) and the letter was a weight classification (D for the 240Z - lightest) The next four to six digits were numerically sequential and I recall people lining up at the tag office to get a low number.

The "collector" plate was issued for $16 rather than the normal $20 tag fee and that is why you used to see "collector" plates on farm trucks and loosermobiles. Florida now issues license plates as though they were bumper sticker statements and although I appreciate "Save the Manatee" and "Remember the Challenger", I'm holding out for "Respect Blue-Hairs". Gone are the days of unified State identity and I, like zrush, support the vanity plate option - 26th-Z.

Originally posted by TomoHawk

I looked at some old plates on eBay. They look OK, but might be better off with new paint. Are you allowed to repaint the plates?

In Florida You are not allowed to repaint the plates. They must be original good looking. No rust, paint must be visible at night.

Guy who I bought my Zed sent his tag off to be refinished and repainted. Looked Brand-new. The DMV (department of motor vehicles) told him his plate was Illegal.

I bought a (old) brand-new plate at the local flea market. He was an old man who knew boochoos. I didn't see 70 or 71 plates out on display. I asked if there was a place where I could get one. He went to the back pulled out a box. flipped through several plates. Pulled out the 71's handed one to me.

I unwrapped it from it's paper wrapping and could see my finger prints in the bright sunshine. I told the man this one is mine. $20 couldn't have been spent better.

He also shoed me how Florida switched from University of Florida colors (orange) and then Florida State colors. I don't remember exactly what two years though.

-Brandon

1971 240Z

Some of the plates I saw on eBay were VG, but not new-looking (1962 plates for my GTO) A small ding or two, but it looked good on the screen. Couldn't you just rub out the paint a little?

Otherwise you get to go shopping in person to make sue you got a good one.

Originally posted by lordbiotree

In Florida You are not allowed to repaint the plates. They must be original good looking. No rust, paint much be visible at night.

Guy who I bought my Zed sent his tag off to be refinished and repainted. Looked Brand-new. The DMV (department of motor vehicles) told his plat was Illegal.

I'm not doubting your statements, but HOW would the bureaucrats at the DMV ever know it was repainted if it was a good and proper restoration? If I wanted a nice plate, I'd have mine done and would not say anything to anybody (official that is). Let'em try to PROVE it was repainted.

I think some club member from CA mentioned a few weeks ago that they or a friend of theirs had a plate restored. Maybe it was Victor Laury? I dunno for sure.