IGNORED

Lead footed B's.

1 Bravo 6

Speeding is speeding.

there is no safe speeding.

They set the speed limit because thats ehat the road is safe for.. if you go faster you comprimise saftey endanger others.. even if there is no other people on the road think about this you are someone's brother , uncle , best friend..

Keep it safe stay in the posted limit.

Originally posted by 280zx Fever

They set the speed limit because thats ehat the road is safe for..

I disagree. They set the speed limits at a speed for the lowest combination of driver skill and car ability. It is safe for grandma in her buick riviera boat. A skilled driver in a car that can handle transients would be just as safe at a significantly higher speed.

A major risk factor on the roads however is speed differential. If grandma is doing 35 in a 45, and you want to speed and do 55, then the differential is 20mph, which gives you very little time to react to anything that grandma does as you try to pass or whatever.

There is also a major difference between speeding on a limited access highway, and on a city surface street. There are so many more surprises waiting for you on the surface streets, and thus a safe speed will be much slower than on the limited access highway.

One man's opinion...

Originally posted by mdbrandy

I disagree. They set the speed limits at a speed for the lowest combination of driver skill and car ability.

I disagree with this,partly. I believe that the speed limit also involves the are where through which the road goes. For example, around my area, school zone is 20 mph (24/7 in some places!), business districts are 25 mph, as are residentrial, but regular suburban roads are 35 mph. Rural roads are 45, city highway is 60, and rural highway 65. I read in a car mag once that the speed limit in the remote areas of Arizona is 140 mph...

Vehicle noise, vahicle safety or pedestrian safety are a major influence (in my area).

the reasons might be different in your area.

Then there is the "other" reason that certain speed limits are placed on certain roads.

This

and

That

which gives certain municipalities, courts and the Police (er Tax Collectors in that juridiction) a bad name.

NOTE: this is not meant as a slam to Police Officers in general. Only to those who make a hobby out of entrapment, OK?

Originally posted by TomoHawk

I believe that the speed limit also involves the are where through which the road goes.

Well, maybe I oversimplified my statements, and I only cited two different areas: city and highway, but that is what I was trying to get across. You're right that there are certainly different levels of "risk" even within the city. I don't want drivers blowing through my neighborhood at 40mph endangering the neighborhood kids, while on some of the main 4-lane roads through town, 40 is quite reasonable (even though the posted limit is 35). And I NEVER speed in school zones. So, as a refinement of what I had previously posted, I agree with you. Considerations of factors other than driver skill and car ablility are needed to set the safe limit. But I still think that the limits are set for the lowest common denominator for all the pertinent factors.

Tommo: I think mdbrandy didn't mention that factor as it's sorta obvious. :) So maybe it should be "They set the speed limits at a speed for the lowest combination of driver skill and car ability, for the given conditions".

But then again, we could write a page long list of factors influencing the posted speed limits.

While I'm at it, I think these 24/7 school zones are a crock of $^!#. That's blatant revenue raising..... unless...all the surrounding roads are already 40 kph.

In my area, where the "school zone" was set 24/7, was because it's also the local playground, which was donated by the local residents, and wanted it to be as safe as possible, because there are sooo many kids going to/from there all the time.

So this is a choice made by the people, instead of bureaucrats or police, etc. Us locals respect that, because it's our kids (even tho I don't have any) .

Restricted cars are those with tiny two stroke petrol or diesel engines that cannot (without the illegal addition of two turbos and a superchargerLOL ) exceed 40 mph. There are several makes including the once great name of Ligier ! They are owned by people who for one reason or another have no driving licence, ie lost due to drink / drugs / no points left or on medical grounds.

"speeding is speeding ! ..... there is no safe speeding" yes there is, our m_way speed limits here are 80 mph (68 in the wet) and if I travel at 85 in the dry with no-one else near me on the road, it's still safe but illegal whatever my car or ability !

there are too many variables and so I accept a general speed limit and I accept the risk of being caught. But I don't accept that the police control more frequently the m-ways than the orinray roads just because it's easier to control the m-ways (whilst being considerably less dangerous than those ordinary roads.

I am for speed controls, but intelligent and targeted uses of them.

Just hope there are some wild roads left when I take delivery of my lil' baby !

Hi Sean,

When you get your freshly restored Z I´ll invite you over here for a weekends road bashing. Over here the smaller roads aren´t policed like the main roads so that means that you can enjoy yourself. I´m looking forward to it ...............

LOL

Dear Sean,

I hope my brakes are up to it as well !!!!!! Don´t worry too much about my mates with the Porsches as most of them are s**t scared of the back end coming round on them in the twisty bits ROFL . You just say when your coming I´ll arrange everything else.