IGNORED

round shape knobs and square shape knobs

kats

No, they all had air pumps (agreed) and all that garbage. I believe the fuel mixtures, timing advance, and ignitions were adjusted to different settings if memory serves me correctly. Fewer hydrocarbons to tarnish all that silicone in the valley, evidently. A few cars were imported without the fuel vapor recovery system and mine is an example. The gas tank does not have the fittings for all the hoses.

I am not going to restore the emissions hardware to my car. I just can't force myself to do it. Please forgive me, it's an issue I have with my addiction to sports cars. Instead, I have the proper Datsun parts to replicate the non-emission engine.

Originally posted by 26th-Z

I am not going to restore the emissions hardware to my car. I just can't force myself to do it. Please forgive me, it's an issue I have with my addiction to sports cars. Instead, I have the proper Datsun parts to replicate the non-emission engine.

I was thinking about the possibility of restoring the emissions stuff for looks but not functionality. In other words, having it disabled internally. What's your opinion?

Originally posted by MikeW

I was thinking about the possibility of restoring the emissions stuff for looks but not functionality. In other words, having it disabled internally. What's your opinion?

That's interesting. I'm planning on restoring to the stock emissions state, but I hadn't considered just having it for looks. Essentially, the only part of the emissions system that causes any performance decrease on a 240Z (that I can see) is driving the air pump. Everything else is pretty passive. Would you put a belt on the pump and disable it internally or something? Wouldn't want to actually drive it, or it wouldn't do any good to disable it in the first place...

Hmmm....

Originally posted by mdbrandy

Would you put a belt on the pump and disable it internally or something? Wouldn't want to actually drive it, or it wouldn't do any good to disable it in the first place...

Hmmm....

Well, I've never even had an air pump (removed by P.O.) but I'm guessing you could adapt it so that the pulley spins freely without driving the pump or remove whatever fan is inside the pump so that it doesn't actually push air.

• 1 year later...

Ugh, I've read every post in this thread and am still confused. MSA's catalog shows 3 different part numbers for the 70-71 240Z, 72-73 240Z and 74 260Z choke knobs, yet they only have 2 pictured. My 73 Owner's Manual shows a diagram of the choke knob with just "CHOKE", and no graphics.

I'm trying to figure out which models my round choke knob will fit, regardless of whether it's the correct knob (just as long as it'll fit). It bows forward and has a screw hole on the side for mounting (pic. attached).

post-3817-14150795456445_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Most definitely later model choke knob. It is condidered "square" because the corner edges are sharp compared to the more "rounded" edges of the earlier ones. The one Z Babe is showing is not offset and has the word choke printed on it. The two versions pictured here are the earliest and show only the symbol - rounded and squared.

post-4148-14150795961934_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795962098_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Somewhere along the way I remember posting that I had a square shaped throttle knob I bought for next to nothing off eBay when it was listed as a choke knob. I was starting to think maybe I was hallucinating because it wasn't where I thought I had stored it. Well, looking for some early door hinges for a7dz I re-located it making me a happy camper. I've attached a picture (cleaned up the white a little in Photoshop because it was a little dirty. I'm going to install it on my Series I choke plate (or whatever it's called) whether I hook it up or not. I don't have the metal lever or cable, but do have the proper fitting on the accelerator pedal. I'm sure I can rig up a way of attaching it, but will probably not make it functional. Something to think about. Sorry for digging up this old post, but thought it might be the right place to write this. Just happy I didn't lose it. Gary D.

post-5416-14150799267877_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Just noticed a round knob hand throttle lever was bought with BIN on eBay on Oct. 1 for $40. Never even noticed the auction when it was going. The knob appears to be a little different than those round ones posted here with another symbol or below the standard icon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-Fairlady-Z-Hand-Throttle-Knob_W0QQitemZ170154742425QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50459QQcmdZViewItem

Update: I see there is another knob on from the same seller and it is a reproduction. Might be a good way to get a throttle knob - I already have the square one, but if these remain available I might get one in the future. Anyway, I figured someone here might want one. Looks like it has three lines below the regular icon. I've rigged up an old choke lever to the right - recurved in the vice so I can put my throttle knob on the console. Still not sure I'll hook up a cable to the accelerator - not sure I can without the original cable, but it couldn't be too hard. Been thinking of putting a lever on the right for the hand throttle lever for awhile and finally got around to it. Has anyone else tried this? Sure cheaper than buying one of the few units that pop up on eBay every once in awhile. I hope whoever is making these keeps up the good work. I wonder if he is taking a regular choke knob, removing the choke symbol and etching in the throttle symbol.

Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170155626859&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=170154742425&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget#ebayphotohosting

post-5416-1415080139849_thumb.jpg

This old thread is very interesting to me. I have this part in my garage: it is brand new still in the original Nissan plastic bag. I will have to get it out and look it over to see what kind of handles it has. I will not be using it on my current projects because one is a 73 no place on the counsel for it and the 71 is getting tripple Mikuni's and not going to have a counsel. No I am not going to sell it either....I think the longer I keep it the more it is worth.