IGNORED

Do aussie 260Z coupes have an elec fuel pump?

Murph

Just spent all day going around all the wreckers here....no one has an RX7 fuel pump, let alone anything rx7!

Ended up buying a carter.....I'll need it down the track anyway. Ran out of time to installing it today, and I'm having trouble undoing the bolts that hold the fuel tank straps (replacing the vent lines while I'm at it).

HKSZ: I'm using the 240Z round tops. Stock heat shield is in place, but as soo as the headers go on i'll be making a better heat shild.

Oh... and I'll be buying a new filter tomorrow. :)

The local z guru told me that some 260's had the electric pump, some didn't.

I've got a Carter P60430 on my 240Z. That pump originally fuelled the SU's, now it's a priming pump for my Bosch HP pump. My car didn't have an electric pump, but I still hooked it up to the original wiring & patched that into ignition power. Ideally, you should wire the pump so it only works when cranking, or when the engine has oil pressure.

Now my pumps are controlled by the ECU so that's all taken care of.

When getting a blanking plate, you will need one from a car that DOESN'T have power steering (the PS pump bracket is the blanking plate on PS equipped engines). You can always make one out of a piece of alloy, or mild steel.

Thank you Brett - you've posted Simon de Groot's new web address!

No psi rating sorry.

The instructions say if you need a pressure regulator it needs to be capable of flowing something like 400-500 HP worth of fuel. How accuratly that refelects what my pump will flow, I don't know.

It's a different number, but it looks identical to the top pump here...

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page81.html

Had it on and running yesterday. Did some driving in the avo, then for a few hours last night and now i've just driven it back to the panel shop.....it's running fine.

It's certainly cured my running out of fuel problem, don't know about the vapour lock just yet.

Instalation was a breeze. Had to bend the mounting bracket a bit to clear the moustache bar, but appart from that it was fine. It's a noisy little sucker though! You don't really hear it over the exhaust and all the mechanical noise when your up and going, but damn.....when you first turn the ignition to ON!

Oh yeah.... I bought everything I need to wire it all up properly with it's own good power feed, relayed, fused etc, but I ran out of time to do that so it just wired to the stock fuel pump wire for now. That wire only gets 10.5V and that's with no load, so the pump wont be pushing anywhere near what it's capable of. Really I don't see that being a problem as the fuel requirements of my current motor are somewhat small. :)

What would be the max pressure the carbs could handle?

yeah they can be pretty loud. i have one feeding a surge tank for my EFI pump. if its similar to mine they are capable of 15PSI with good voltage. I wouldnt want to put any more pressure than this on your float bowls.

i think the stock elec pump is around 6 PSI (correct me if im wrong guys?)

and with 10.5 volts it will be a little lower than 15 anyway.

the part that will let go if it does is the little valve in your float bowl that closes when the bowl is full. if it dies (and they are pretty cheap and easy to replace) your carbs will flood.

did the pump come with rubber mounting blocks?

you can use insulation on the pump to quiet it.

mine hangs loose off the mounts so its not tight on the chassis, that helps too.