IGNORED

Do aussie 260Z coupes have an elec fuel pump?

Murph

As in title.

I thought the 260Z's were all supposed to have an electric pump as well as the mechanical pump? Mine sure as hell aint got one. :ermm:

I've been having a few vapour lock problems now that I have the car back....or what I am assuming is vapour lock anyway. Almost 40 deg days aren't helping. Basically, whenever I get hard on the power it'll be fine through 1st, then either up in the revs in second or into 3rd, it'll just loose all power. Back off and it's fine.

The problem is alot worse when the car heat soaks after a drive.

Yesterday I gave it a boot leaving the servo upto about 80, then looses power.....and it kept on doing it for a few minutes to the point that I could only just hold 60kmh. Just putted it around for 10min then it was ok.

Ideas?

My Aussie 260z 2+2 has an eletric pump, and no mechanical pump.

I dont know what year it is though. I'd guess and say 76 because thats what the compliance plate says, but the chassis numbers is different to whats stampd on the car, and the datsun id tag, well thats different again!

that sounds like a fuel pump problem....

meaning like i had the same problem.... the fuel pump was only pushig 0.8 psi, when it should be pushing 6-8psi, so its fine for normal driving, but not enough to keep the floats full when going hard... check your fuel pump presssure with a normal pressure guage...

i would cain though 1st and 2nd and hit 3rd and id have to back off and put it in 5th... it would start stuttering

my 260 had a electric pump, i changed it to a facet pump, sometimes the pumps go bad when sitting for a long time, i think urs was sitting for a while yer.

Mine is 7/74, it has a mechanical pump.

I had problems similar to yours but it happened regardless of the weather, check your coil and leads, it fixed mine. (my coil was old as the hills) although I have heard that S.U.'s are prone to vapour lock, it hasn't been hot enough here yet for me to find out.

Good luck.

LOL

I've got a 75 and mine only came with the mechanical pump. Ive had probs with vapourlock, but since changed to an rx7 fuel pump, it helped fix the problem, but not completely. So I'm getting the extractors ceramic coated and probably make up a heat shield too. Ill tell ya my results.

if your getting up too 40 degree days then im suprised your vapour lock isnt worse. the more prssure you run through the lines the less problems you'll have with vapour lock.

though never use an EFI pump with carbies, thats too much pressure.

change to an electic pump, as 260zed stated try an RX7 pump off a carbureted car or by a new carter carby pump. also heat shielding your fuel lines that run through the engine bay to your carbs can help.

It seems what I have is two problems. One is where it just seems to run out of fuel when you get up into third, exactly as Zpeed described. Also the vapour lock problem.

This morning I got stuck in it for 30min after stopping at 3 places for about 5min each, with only 5min driving between them. It stuttered then just died.

It seems an electric pump is the go. Just tossing up whether to go something good like the carter, a cheaper new pump or something like the RX7 pump from the wreckers.

Fuel filter should be only 3000km old.....but I'll check it out anyway.

One question... If I bought the carter, i'd just wizz off the mech pump totally right. But if I got say a cheaper elec pump, would you run it in series with the mech pump?

You can run both in series but I've kept the mechanical one on my 240z and never had any vapour lock issues. Mind you my bonnet has always been fluted.

But my previous 260z was not fluted and had electric fuel pump never had fuel starvation. If you getting same problem as Zpeed sounds like fuel pump ain't putting out enough PSI.

Get it tested if your unsure.

You can even buy a fuel pressure guage.