IGNORED

Starting your car

halz

Well my 240Z has been in the garage for about a fortnight now (no, not the whole time!) and we are slowly building mutual respect for one another. One aspect of this is starting up from cold. I use the folowing technique:

1. pull on max choke

2. crank until it splutters on 2-3 cylinders

3. reduce choke to about 1/4 and crank again

4. Try not to use the throttle at all during this procedure.

It always takes a min or so to get running and I assume this is due to a combinaiton or reasons...namley getting fuel to the carbs, getting the right choke position and probably due to old plugs/leads/points.

When it does fire up it tends to idle ok but run roughly on less than six cylinders when the throttle is applied...until warm... and then all is sweetness and light. When warm, it starts with the merest touch of the key, no throttle, no choke (obviously)

What are your experiences?

Unfortunately my foot is my choke.

I let the fuel pump feed some gas through the lines for about 5 seconds and then crank her over. Takes a couple of turns (I only drive her once a week if that so she's always cold). Hold the throttle at about 2,000rpm (stalls otherwise) for 1 minute and then let her idle. Builds up from 700rpm to around 950 in about 7 minutes depending on time of day (ie weather) and then we're off.

The technique that I have used now by habit on all my cars including my 240K is I pull the choke, pump the gas three times and turn it over, I might stretch the gas pedal to 5-7 pumps if it seems especially cold, but it's usually 3. Which means it sometimes goes Click, Wirr, VROOM! or Click, Wirr, Wirr VROOM!

Originally posted by halz

so you have an electric fuel pump

Yeah there's one sitting behind the tank pushing the fuel. It's pretty loud until the engine kicks over but then you don't notice it much.

I thought about hooking up a choke but then I realised that I'll never really want to let the car warm up without myself in it so it'll be a waste of effort. The hole where the choke used to be looks a bit odd though.

Halz,

I find the best way to start my 260 is to use 3/4 choke and no throttle until it fires up, I let it idle for a minute or so at 2000 before turning the choke off. Although if it doesn't start after the first or second attempt it floods and then I tunr the choke off and hold my foot flat on the gas until it starts.

My advice may be wrong as my car runs like a piece of crap most of the time......

my car is a beast fires up first time everytime. Cold or not sometimes it might take 2 cranks but almost instantly fires over to 1500rpm.

I have stock SU's I use the choke and I have an electronic dizzy I think this is what helps most.

I never even bother pumping the accelerator.

If you have Su carbs ther is no sense in "pumping" the gas pedal...there are no accel jets...my z starts about the same way...turn the key..let the fuel pump run a bit...pull the chokes, crank her over till she fires...let her warm up a bit.. then smoothness...once warm starts with the bump of the key. Any if I remember right that is the same way dad's Z was in the 70's

Hence the reason I never pump it :).

I pull the choke half way crank it and fires over straight away. Do you guys have electronic ignition or are you using the points set up still?

My old Z's didn't have this and took a few turns.:classic:

Depending on year, there are 3 differnt starting methods.

1. Models not equiped with electric pump.

Pull Choke and crank.

2. Models equiped with pump.

Turn ignition listen to pump, when the fuel bowls are full the sound of the pump changes. Then pull choke and crank.

3. EFI...Don't know as I don't have?????

The 240[No pump] takes a few turns to start. I reason that this is due to fuel evaporation in the bowls after the last journey. It can be tempermental on cold mornings.

The 260[Electric Pump], generally fires first time, I guess this is the best reason for adding an Electric Pump.

No point pumping the accelerator as other have noted there is no accelerator pump!

Hope it helps.