IGNORED

Stick Shifter Length

texasz

I have heard that a short throw stick was make shifting easier and allow for faster shifting. So I have to ask:

1) What is the length of a standard stick in a first gen Z?

2) What are the real benifits to a short throw stick?

I have a very early '71 240Z (really a '70) that will be getting a '77 5-speed in it if this helps any.

Don't know what the stock lenght is but a shorter shifter will make for faster shift times, but it will also reduce your leverage, not that leverage should be a problem with a healthy transmission.

To visulize what a shorter shifter will do for you, draw a 10" diameter circle and divide it in let's say 4's for the example, measure between two of the points where they cross the circle, now draw a 6" circle and do the same thing. By using a shorter shifter you have effectivly reduced the circle and so reduced the travel between two points.

I remember in high school a guy had a shifter in a chevelle that was pretty much a ball sticking out of the floor, talk about a short and fast shift! If I remember right he blew alot of second gears too!

With the Z's short stick taking off an inch or so will probably make it feel crisper but if you are young with good reflexes your shift times probably won't change enough to notice time wise. One thing I would think about is if the stick was shorter would you have to lean forward to pull to second or push to third? If you would any benifit would probably be lost.

This is generally what I thought with one exception.

One thing I would think about is if the stick was shorter would you have to lean forward to pull to second or push to third?

I would think that if the stick were shorter it would eliminate this problem and if it were longer then you would have to lean forward to go into and out of 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. Your circle example show has this would support what I am thinking. Please let me know if you just mis-typed this or if there is some important part that I'm missing.

Got me on that one, I was thinking old days, bench seats, long shifter handles, cut it off and weld on a bolt screw on a knob and reach over the seat to shift! Not Z, where the knob could stick out of the console and be in easy reach :)

Shortening the shifter at the top only gives you a "perceived" shorter shift as you don't move the shift knob in as wide an arc as before.

To change the shifter leverage you need to move the shifter pivot upwards and lengthen the bottom of the shifter for it to have a true shorter throw and better leverage.

If you look at the short throw shifter that are available (although quite expensive) the replacement shift lever itself is nearly the same length as stock, but they move the pivot upward away from the trans and lengthen the lower end of the shift lever where it enters the shift rail on the trans. Doing this, you move the shift rail further with less movement from above as before.....:ermm:

And, they also have a heavier shift knob, that makes the shifts seem easier because there is a bit more force involved in moving the shift lever in its arc once you apply enough force to get it moving....

Does that make sense or did I miss out on the explanation?....

When I bought my 77 I couldn't figure out why there were these strange scratches in it like it had run into someone really clumsy with a vise grip and a hacksaw. When I changed my bushings and boots, I found the last inch or so had been filed down to accept a threaded sleeve, which was epoxied on to the stick and, of course, the ball screwed on to that. Good thing the guy I bought it from didn't realize it had a 'short-throw 5-speed'. He surely would have charged me more for the car.

steve77

Both shifters are approximately 11 1/2 inches overall lenght.

The stock one is 2 inches from the bottom to the center of the pivot and the short shifter is 3 inches... that is the only difference.

I just measured them real quick with a tape measure, so they aren't exact measurements.

I haven't used the short shifter in a car yet so I can't tell you how much difference it really makes.... it's sitting in a drawer waiting for me to finish the car.......:ermm:

This is only good for the B model transmission though, since the linkage and shifter are totally different for the A model. There is no kit to change the A model shifter as it would require a lot more work to change the pivot point on the early transmission since it's made as part of the shift rail itself. Not saying it couldn't be done, only that there is no bolt on kit to do it.:disappoin

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Both shifters are approximately 11 1/2 inches overall lenght.

The stock one is 2 inches from the bottom to the center of the pivot and the short shifter is 3 inches... that is the only difference.

2ManyZs:

So does this short throw shifter just get stuck 1" further into the trans than the stock one or is the mounting point on the trans for the pivot moved in some way to account for the extra inch?