IGNORED

Best sounding 240/280 exhaust

inline6

Bleah, just got exhaust installed on my car today. Stock L24 with 280zx dist conversion, 6-1 MSA header, and Supertrapp muffler. I sound like a friggin rice rocket (wanted a nice deep almost V8 sound). Oh well, I'll live with it. At least it's one of the original rice rockets, and I built the thing!

You did pretty good for someone who "dont know alot about all the names"

cheers Victor Laury,

my 260z is my first car (my dad convinced me to get it) and i love it, ive been trying to read up a bit on it....

and ive been doing it up a bit of corse....

mine has a nice jap sounding idle but then when i stomp it i have a sweet rumble!!!

take care all,

mellow:dead:

I have the 2.4 with weber dgv's and msa 6-1 header into a 2.5inch exhaust with a borla xs straight through muffler. The muffler is a straight pipe that goes from the left side of the muffler to the right, and is perforated on the inside and surrounded by fiberglass type material. It has a 2.5 inch steel tip on it. It sounds very good in my opinion.

I use to have some no name muffler on there with a HUGE tip, you know what I am talking about, the ones that look like foldgers coffee cans tied to the back of civics. Anway I got this new system in and it sounds better but there is NO backpressure.

I kind of want this because I am planning some other free flow mods to the engine, but not sure what i can do in the mean time to get maybe a little bit more power that might be lost because of it.

Anyway here is a funny exhaust story.

I am going to home depot because the bolts from my header to the 2.5inch exhause have fallen off and it sounds like satan himself. I pull up to a stoplight and the regular old harley dude comes puttin on up, and gives me a little nod because he likes the vintage car right. Then he gives me a little thunder from his pipes and looks over to see my reaction. I decided to give him a good 4,000rpm yulp from my car w/o the exhaust mind you, and it totally blew his harley away. He looks over at me and says "Son that is the first time thats ever happend to me"

I drove away with a big smile on my face ROFL

anyway, anyone have experience with straight through mufflers

thanks

When my exhaust fell off Xmas eve last year, i decided (well, the decision was already made i suppose :classic: ) i got a set of Genie extractors (6-2-1) with a 3.5inch collector which tapered to a 2.5inch exhaust with a hot-dog resonator and a small rear muffler. Sounds awesome, cost was reasonable (just). Is a little loud though, cops take an interest when i go past. But the sound is worth it.... :)

Gav's 240z sounds sweet as... mine is similar...

:geek:

my car has a 2.8, with a msa header fi with msa big tb, cam and some other motor goodness, 2.5" or 2 3/4" exaust (haven't measured it) to a little 2 chamber flowmaster back in the rear with no seperate resonater. It is somewhere between too loud and way too loud!! When I bought the car in houston I had to drive it back to dallas (4 hours away) we were stuck in traffic it seemed like forever, so when I finally got on an overpass I put a little gas into it. there was a harley type on a bike with loud pipes in the right lane and I saw him turn and look at me to see what was drowning out the sound of his hog!! I almost hit the barrier I was laughing so hard...

BW

LOL I think our cars are very similar in DB range, I came in at 119db at 4500rpm, and it drowns out harley's too.

When I first got it I couldn't stop smiling at how loud it would be when I gave it stick.

The best is near my Uni there is a train bridge and if the car is warm enough by the time I go through there i sometimes open past halfway and it echo's so loud it sometimes hurts my ears when i have my window down.

The best kick I get is from the people at the cafe's under the bridge area it must blow their ears off I'm mean I know but I always think of top gun when I do it :tapemouth .

My girlfriend who is usually next to me is Goose and I'm Maverick :).

Mellow , looks like someone did there home work in doing the plumbing. You would think that the larger piping would equate to more power, not necessarly so . 2 1/2" is great for a race engine running at high rpms all the time . The low end torque will suffer but it doesnt matter on the track since you are on the pipe all the time. If you want lower end power you need some backpressure. The 2 1/4 " max will provide all the exhaust movement need and then some and allow you to enjoy the power at street driving speed. I am assuming that you are going to be driving this on the street. Having a section of smaller pipe in the line will help you for power off the line to redline.

L28 with K&N cold intake (that makes a difference)

MSA 6-2 with 2-1 collector.

2.25" straight-as-a-chalkline to a fast left-right behind the diffy.

Bosal Stainless Steel straight-thru with double tips

It has an unbelievable rumble at idle which grows to a unhealthy resonance at 2000-3000 and turns into a F1 whine at 4+. I'm not going to say it sounds like a V-8 (although many have commented and queried to that end). V-8's sound like $^!#. A straight 6 makes the most heavenly music in the world. There is really nothing that compares. Very loud, yes. But not at all ricer-loud or junk-yard-dog loud. A very...um....polished loud. European loud. Heavenly loud. My ears ring after driving an hour loud. The neighbors smile loud (and I live in a community of rich old-farts with Mercedes'). Every pedestrian on the block turns their head loud. Every ricer I pass gives me the thumbs up loud. People gathered around the grid at autocross cover their ears loud. Wonderful loud.

steve77