IGNORED

Best sounding 240/280 exhaust

inline6

I know this has been talked about ad nausium but:

Having had a couple of different exhausts (spent a good chunk of money on the last one) and heard a few other Z's I can say that the range in sound is quite amazing. I could really use some guidance because it will save me a lot of money-- you see, if I don't get it right, I'm just going to keep trying til I do.

Anyone think theirs couldn't sound better? If so, what do you have?

I'm looking at a bunch of stuff. I'm keeping my Clifford Research header (dual 3 into 2) but thinking about:

merging to a single 2.25 or 2.5 all the way back with

Round:

Magnaflow

Injen

5zigen

Supertrap

etc.

Car is NA with 2.8 and SU's-- mild port work and big valves.

Also thinking about adding back a small center resonator as necessary. Anyone got some mp3's of your car like they did with the 350z exhaust in the SportZMagazine test this month?

Gav,

I had the Bright:stupid: idea of hanging a PC microphone out the rear hatch and my lap top record a WAV file of me running up through the gears on a freeway on-ramp.

You see, it's my most humble opinion, that MY 240Z has THE BEST exhaust note EVER. And, that it is my duty to share that sweet song with my Z brothers and sisters.

Well, the first second of the recording sounds pretty good. Then the wind noise drownds everthing out.:cry: Back to the drawing board.

Ok Zedguy, Gav and Victor,

Don't keep me in suspense. You've got great sounding systems... Now tell me what you have. 2.4, 2.8? header, stock manifold? single or dual pipes? from header or manifold down to one then back to two or two all the way? diameter of pipes? glasspacks? mufflers? what brand?

Thanks!

Garrett

MSA 6 to one coated

2 1/2 Bent by Morse Mufflers of Burbank California (a true pipe artist)

Turbo style muffer

Chrome Straight tip, ending 2'' past the bumper.

Simple, uncomlpicated, Quiet when compared to my roadster! (It only sets off a few car alarms, the Roadster sets them all off!)

I have a rather interesting combo which i'm sure gives it that exotic note.

E88 head(With larger L28 Sized Valves).

Mild Duration Cam(Slightly rough Idle).

Headers(Not sure which brand).

The dual pipes run down the car into two resonators which i don't know the brand of either but they look like glass packed ones.

THen straight out the back.

the only exception is that there was some steel wool slotted into place held in by a couple of screws towards the back.

WIthout these it sounds like an atomic bomb and has a high pitch to it in high revs, sounds great through tunnels as it echo's but i prefer it with the steel wool in to give it a slightly less rough bark.

It's like Victors roaster set's off every alarm is very noisy at idle but to be honest I wouldn't want it any other way :).

I have to say, the exhaust has to be one of the most fun additions to your Z!!! I know I've posted this before, but I really believe it: It defines the personality of your Z!!

My dual system?

-3 into 2 Header

-twice pipe system customized. Cut off the 'collector pipe' and ran each pipe into the header. (3 cylinders per pipe)

-twin glasspacks at the rear.

I love the rumble at idle!! I love the roar under load!! To me, it sounds like a classic '60's supercar!!! (I've even had people comment the same....so I accomplished what I set out to do)

Zedguy

Thanks for the info guys. What diameter pipes are you guys with the dual pipes running?

Gav, your exhaust goes straight back after the resonators? Did you go under the fuel tank? Your system doesn't run out the stock location in the rear panel?

Also, I'd like to hear from some others about what they have!

Garrett

ok this is my first car and i dont know alot about all the names of parts etc....... but ill give it a go.....

i have the twin SU roundtops in an E88 head (stock)

that goes into the genie extractors....then to a 2 1/2 inch pipe for about 1-2 feet then into a hotdog and out in a 2inch pipe then at the rear end of the line it goes into a flare back upto 2 1/2 then into my dump pipe (turbo type muffler big chrome one :D)

i dont consider this an ideal setup but its still pretty loud :classic:

i would like to one day change it to 2 1/2 all the way through for a bit more of a rumble, but what it has no seems to be doing ok, every time i drive down a street people look up and yell at me to bag it up (heh heh gotta love that)

take care yall,

mellow