looking for a N36 intake - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

looking for a N36 intake

Featured Replies

Anybody have an N36 intake laying around? I'm in need of one, hit me up if ya got one!

Pretty sure I have one or two. That's the one off the 73-74 flat tops correct?

  • Author

yep, that sounds right. I have an N33, but just found out as I'm beginning my engine assembly, that the N33 needs a lot of work to maximize the flow I will need.

34 minutes ago, astrohog said:

yep, that sounds right. I have an N33, but just found out as I'm beginning my engine assembly, that the N33 needs a lot of work to maximize the flow I will need.

Are you thinking that the flow characteristics between the N33 and the N36 are different?

I've heard (on the web) that the N36 is "the best flowing intake manifolds for carbs", but I've never seen data to support that. Have you flow benched the two and compared them?

  • Author

no, I have not. I do not have an N36 in front of me to compare, but internet legend says the N36 have larger runners and a straighter shot to the head than the N33 and that the N36 will require less grinding when port matching. Not making any HP claims, it's just that I am trying to minimize the amount of material I have to remove. Every decision I've made on this build has been to get as close to ideal as possible. I did compare the N33's and a pair of E36's that I have and the runners are noticeably bigger/straighter on the N33's. If the N36's are a little better, then it makes sense to use them if I can find a pair. I spent good money on the head to maximize flow and volume, I might as well do what I can to put it to use!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Well I've heard the same internet legend that you've heard, but I've never seen any flow data to support the claim. Would be interesting to see some data, so if you do turn something up, please post I've got some N36's here but I don't think I have N33's to compare them against each other. I've held N33s, but never measured anything on them. Don't remember much difference though.

What displacement engine are you putting these on? And just remember that bigger isn't always better when it comes to this kind of stuff. What you really want is the sweet spot between momentum and flow (at the RPM range you care about).

Hoovered some time ago just because pics are nice:
1974 N36.jpg

  • Author

2.9 liter. F54 block bored to 89mm, P90 head (L-spec Datsun prepped) shaved .080” and ported, Isky stage 3 cam, Kameari forged flat-top pistons, stock rods, 1.9 R200 mated to close-ratio 5 speed. Only going bigger to port-match with the head and SU’s and to do a bit of smoothing. My plan is all theoretical at this point, so we’ll see if it pans out to plan! Not going racing, just wanted a nice, reliable, smooth, quick-revving, streetable engine that looks stock, but cleaner. Trying to keep car as original as possible, with period-correct mods that can be returned easily to stock if I (or the next steward) wish. I’ll be re-building (stock) the numbers-matching L24 and pickling and crating it to always go with the car.

11 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

Pretty sure I have one or two. That's the one off the 73-74 flat tops correct?

Funny thing is that I was coming here to post the same thing and was thinking that you would be one of the first to say that you had it. I'm looking for the N36 intake and a balance tube if you or anyone else has this please let me know.

N33 on the '73, N36 on the '74.

I'm sure they add at least 20 Hp! Maybe more! 😁 Google only claims up to 5 Hp though... Since this is from an AI, it must be right, right?

Google's AI response to the query "Datsun N36 manifold added power" (also has links to old threads on clasiczcars and hybridz...)

AI Overview

Swapping to a Datsun 260Z N36 intake manifold on an earlier 240Z can yield an estimated 0 to 5 horsepower gain (though internet lore often claims up to 10 hp). The N36 features slightly shorter, revised internal runner designs that can help distribute air/fuel more evenly across all cylinders, but dramatic power increases require additional modifications. [1, 2, 3]

Understanding the N36 Manifold

The N36 was originally cast for the 1974 Datsun 260Z to work with later SU-type carburetors (often transitioning away from emissions-heavy setups). [1]

  • It features a slightly shorter internal runner layout than early 240Z manifolds (like the E88 or N33).

  • Enthusiasts note that it helps even out fuel distribution, preventing middle cylinders from running overly rich.

  • Actual gains are minor (around 5 hp or better track throttle response) unless paired with other work. [1, 2, 3]

How to Maximize Power with an N36 Swap

If you want to extract real horsepower gains out of an N36 intake installation, combine it with these complementary tuning steps:

  • Port Matching: Carefully match the N36 runner openings to your cylinder head intake ports using a die grinder to eliminate airflow-restricting steps.

  • Gasket Inspection: Ensure the intake/exhaust gasket doesn't intrude or block any portion of the fuel/air passage.

  • Carburetor Tuning: Pair the manifold with well-synced round-top SU carburetors or larger side-draft setups.

  • Exhaust Upgrade: Add a performance header and free-flowing exhaust system to let the engine breathe out what the intake puts in.

12 hours ago, texasz said:

Funny thing is that I was coming here to post the same thing and was thinking that you would be one of the first to say that you had it. I'm looking for the N36 intake and a balance tube if you or anyone else has this please let me know.

If I have more then one I'll let you know. You asked about a balance tube. Do you mean the EGR one from the 73-74?

42 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

If I have more then one I'll let you know. You asked about a balance tube. Do you mean the EGR one from the 73-74?

Balance tube type does not matter much as it will be sent to ZTherapy to be "cleaned up" so any extra ports would end up getting sealed off any how.

32 minutes ago, texasz said:

Balance tube type does not matter much as it will be sent to ZTherapy to be "cleaned up" so any extra ports would end up getting sealed off any how.

The EGR one is way different and would not be one to clean up at ZT. It would only be for a 73-74 restoration. It this pic, 70-72 on the top and EGR below. I should have an early one as well.

Screen Shot 2026-08-22 at 6.09.43 AM.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.